Coffee Beans what's in your grinder ???

Here's a picture of the way they sell coffee. It's interesting and a good overall selection but doesn't lend itself well to preserving freshness. In reality, they are bins inside barrels with some burlap coffee sack props/dressing.
Their already bagged beans are decent when they are on sale.

Screenshot_20240424-090505_Chrome.jpg

Here's a picture of the way they sell coffee. It's interesting and a good overall selection but doesn't lend itself well to preserving freshness. In reality, they are bins inside barrels with some burlap coffee sack props/dressing.
Their already bagged beans are decent when they are on sale.

View attachment 89756
Yeah, I don't think I would be dipping into those barrels

UPS tells me that the Gaggia Brera is out for delivery today. Went to the Wegmans down the road and picked out these two. I was looking for dark but not oily. The Organic Espresso Blend is just that. The Bold is a slight bit oily but not like the Peet's or Costco Colombian Supremo.
Interesting that both bags had roasted on and best by dates stamped. Unusual for supermarket coffee.
1000010302.jpg1000010303.jpg1000010304.jpg

Well, here's my morning shot (the first one, anyway.) 19.5g of Counter Culture "Forty-Six", which is a medium roast. Since I don't have a dark roast to compare side by side, you'll have to take my word for it that the crema is lighter. :)

View attachment 89767
Forty-Six is (I think) one of the darkest roast Counter Culture makes along with Gradient.

Forty-Six is (I think) one of the darkest roast Counter Culture makes along with Gradient.
I think you are right, Keith, but I'd still call it a medium roast. If I compare it to something like Peet's Major Dickason for sure. It's a really tasty coffee. I prefer it as espresso, I find it to lack a bit of body (to my taste) when brewed with my Aeropress.

R

I think you are right, Keith, but I'd still call it a medium roast. If I compare it to something like Peet's Major Dickason for sure. It's a really tasty coffee. I prefer it as espresso, I find it to lack a bit of body (to my taste) when brewed with my Aeropress.

R
I am not a good judge of the darker roasts. Over time I have migrated to the lighter roasts although try to typically have something a little darker around for those who prefer.

So I did a double shot with my KitchenAid, and foamed up some cream. Not quite as "robust" as I was expecting but VERY smooth. Actually quite pleasant. But honestly unless I can get this stuff at Costco locally for the $13 or so. Nah, not doing it again.

I think I saw the Sumatran organic when I was there last week. I did not pull the trigger. Maybe next time if they have it.

Funny - my wife and I went through tough times as well. She is from Puerto Rico and was used to a lot of cream and sugar so liked the coffee brewed very strong. I liked black and liked mine weaker. I eventually went to her way with cream and sugar, then she went mine. We both drink black now and there is world peace in our home.
I was in Puerto Rico for work over 35 years ago. I really liked their coffee and I learned to use condensed milk for the cream and raw sugar just liked they did down there. I was also there when Pizza Hut test marketed their Hawaiian Pizza which I also like to this day, please no BBQ sauce.

So I found a great deal on a naked bottomless portafilter for my Casabrews. Have never used one, but got such a great deal on it I could not pass it up. So, I did a nice #15 grind on my Breville of 18 grams and pulled a double shot with that Kirkland Espresso. Wow, darn good!. Perfect crema, smooth. Just a really nice shot.

So I found a great deal on a naked bottomless portafilter for my Casabrews. Have never used one, but got such a great deal on it I could not pass it up. So, I did a nice #15 grind on my Breville of 18 grams and pulled a double shot with that Kirkland Espresso. Wow, darn good!. Perfect crema, smooth. Just a really nice shot.
We will need comparison shots in clear glass cups to see the difference;-)

We will need comparison shots in clear glass cups to see the difference;-)
I will do my best to get some. Might be during the week. I have a VERY VERY full weekend. I won't bother with photos using the pressurized filter baskets. I'll use the non pressurized with the standard spouted holder and then the naked bottomless one. But I am impressed enough I will get one for the KitchenAid as well

Quite amazing the difference in taste between coffee brewing methods using the same coffee. I got my Temu Moka pot today and that is some seriously strong espresso type coffee. It even had some creama on top. I liked it with a little saccharin. This will make some seriously good ice coffee this summer.
1714254556863.png1714254588505.png

Stopped at one of our local Costcos yesterday. KS House Blend not in stock! Picked up a bag of KS French Roast. The only other bags of whole bean they had were decaf or Starbucks. I will go back to pre-ground Folgers before I buy Starbucks.

I think I will have to go to the bigger store across town to get the KS House Blend.

Stopped at one of our local Costcos yesterday. KS House Blend not in stock! Picked up a bag of KS French Roast. The only other bags of whole bean they had were decaf or Starbucks. I will go back to pre-ground Folgers before I buy Starbucks.

I think I will have to go to the bigger store across town to get the KS House Blend.
IDK if you've tried that before. I had it and found it just "OK". Which is really weird how the less expensive House Blend can be so darn good and the FR so "MEH". Report back what you think. IDK, I might have simply gotten a bag that had gone "off or old". But I think a couple other members here found it a bit "underwhelming" as well.
Would like to see your thoughts on it

Just bought another bag of House Blend today as running low on the Espresso. And while it is very good it's not "better" than the House Blend

Quite amazing the difference in taste between coffee brewing methods using the same coffee. I got my Temu Moka pot today and that is some seriously strong espresso type coffee. It even had some creama on top. I liked it with a little saccharin. This will make some seriously good ice coffee this summer.
View attachment 89929View attachment 89930

I am currently messing around with a moka pot. One of the youtube coffee guys says that if you allow the coffee to sputter out of the cone near the end of the brew, your coffee will be too bitter. So, as soon as it starts sputtering, he says you should run water over the boiler section kill the steam pressure that's forcing the water up thru the coffee grinds. I need to get a real coffee grinder sometime soon so I can stop using pre-ground. If anyone has a recommendation for a proper coffee grinder, I'm all ears.

Back