CL shopping advice needed please

Dale Nichols

TVWBB Super Fan
I have the WSM 18 and a spirit E 310 and was thinking of adding a kettle. Not even sure which one is the best choice, OTG 22,OTG 26 or Perfomer series. So without reading hundreds of posts I thought asking you would be easier. If shopping on CL there will be steals and then armed robbery deals. Suggest armed robbery prices to me so I don't pass one up.

I saw this and thought it was pretty cheap not perfect because of the chip but still interesting or am I way off base? http://houston.craigslist.org/hsh/4344934491.html

Would you consider a OTG or just get a Performer. I have all the time in the world to pick the right one. Thanks

Edit: I sometimes think the OTG on three legs looks wobbly and no shelf? Maybe I am wrong. The first time I posted link above it did not work.

Last edited:
I'll give my input. I recommend the 22 OTG over the 22 OTS. I don't have a Performer but if money wasn't an issue i would get a 22 inch Performer over a 22 OTG.

I started out with a Propain grill. Then i got my smoker (18.5 WSM) and loved it. So much i started following everyone on here and then new i had to get a One Touch Grill. With the advise of everyone here i got a OTG over the OTS. Worth the extra money. I am always looking for a deal on a Performer on CL.

The three legs are a bit wobbly when moving the grill, no issues when grilling though.

I'd get the Performer. Personally I like the gas assist and the lid holder - some don't. But the table is great IMHO. Good luck.

I had an OTS and found a really nice Platinum Performer with the gas lighter for $50.00 at an estate sale. Of course I jumped on it and just love it. The OTS was great but the Performer is a quantum leap above it with the large work area and the storage along with the gas igniter. I would hold out for a Performer you won't be sorry.

If money were not an issue I would get a performer, I own a platinum performer, and like the gas assist and table. Weber makes so many different models at many different price points for a reason, get the one that you can afford and you can't go wrong.

Now that I have a OTS and OTG, definitely spring for the OTG.

That being said, you already have a smoker, so unless you cook frequently for a lot of folks, a 22 OTG may work, otherwise if you see a 26 OTG out there, pick it up!

I have to agree with those who say get a performer. You have the best of both worlds. You get the flavor of charcoal with the easy light of gas. Plus the table and lid holder and charcoal holder you get with the Performer are an added bonus.

If you have patience you will find a good deal on one. Since you already have 2 grills you can take your time and find one. It took about 6 months for me to find mine but it was in great shape and was only $75. When you come across one, you have to be ready to pounce as good deals go quick on CL. I just picked up an E-310 for $125 and the guy had 4 people wanting it within an hour

Good luck!

Prices are what I want to know

OTG 22=
OTG 26=
Performer gold=
Performer P=
Does 50% off or more happen often?

I am going to make a quick reference cheat sheet, some people here shop all the time and know CL deals a lot better than me. I have researched the WSM 22.5 for example and feel $200 or less means move on it.

Last edited:
Definitely depends on how badly you want the grill and also how near it is to you, but I'd say your max for a used 22" OTG or Performer should be 50% of retail, and that would have to be a pristine example. Personally, I don't think any used OTG (Black) is worth more than $50, but I have several so that clearly skews my viewpoint.

The 26"ers don't pop up very frequently, so I'd say under $200 for a really clean one would be reasonable- under $125 would be a steal. Again, my view might be skewed since I am still looking for a used 26", but I think they hold their value a bit more because they are relatively uncommon.

I'm relatively new to charcoal game but I've had my Silver B for 13+ years and recently got the 18.5" WSM (new), a Baby Q from CL and my copper OTS from CL. Now that I have all of these I see these as tools for a specific purposes. As a result of having all of these, I've stopped looking for a Performer but am considering the side table for the OTS (I've made some modes to make it into an OTG). My reasoning for giving up on the Performer is space. I move a lot due to the job (military) so I never know what I'll get for outdoor living space. Since the wife demands a decent patio and backyard, I need to keep my new grill park under control. The Performer requires space and its footprint rivals that of my gasser. The kettle's footprint is minimal and the table can be stowed when not needed. But that's just me - I have unique requirements that others may not have to deal with as much. In short, a different perspective, the OTG has less footprint and more portable than the performer.

Last edited:
That seems like a decent price for a OTG.

As far as quoting a price for a used one that is difficult since you will find many different years, models, accessories and conditions on grills on CL.

If you look around and check new prices and check all over at used ads, you will get a feel for what a decent price is on each item.

In the end, its how YOU feel the deal was.

and you can find them 50% or more off, as said earlier you just have to be patient. Also as said earlier by myself and others, I would hold out for the Performer, you wont regret it. Its not like you're not able to grill in the meantime

Yeah I know the performer is the way to go. Just not seeing any since the first of December and looking everyday. My day will come I will pass on this one.

Prices are what I want to know

OTG 22=
OTG 26=
Performer gold=
Performer P=
Does 50% off or more happen often?

I am going to make a quick reference cheat sheet, some people here shop all the time and know CL deals a lot better than me. I have researched the WSM 22.5 for example and feel $200 or less means move on it.

Prices and availability vary greatly from market to market.

In my area, a 22 OTG's are a dime a dozen. I got my first one (used 3 times) with a premium cover for $50 and overpaid.
Picked up my 26er from CL. Guy bought it, used it twice in the same week, thought it was too big, and I traded him ^^^^ OTG plus $80 for it.
Grabbed my '13 WSM (18") from an estate sale for $100
I snagged my Blue '11 Performer a year ago for $150 as I wasn't patient waiting for a deal. But, a blue is what I wanted.
I have picked up 3 older (red) Stainless Steel Performers (lots of guys like them) and haven't paid more than $100 for any of them.

A like-new performer gold was recently listed locally for $75 and no one I knew was interested. We all prefer the Performer Platinum with the gas assist.

I won't even get into the freebies I've grabbed... :)

Don't pass it by just because it's not EXACTLY what you are looking for. That's the great thing about buying a used Weber. Get it, use it, and when that Performer does come along, get that and then maybe sell the first one for what you paid for it (or more).

Or do like Bill suggested. Go see your local Weber dealer and get yourself a brand new Performer Platinum in whichever color you like best.

Back