Cincinnati pork steaks

Brad Olson

TVWBB Diamond Member
A few weeks back I grilled a Cincinnati pork steak to celebrate the brilliant playoff performances of the Reds and the Cardinals. ;)

CincinnatiPorkSteak20201003_1.jpg

Seasoned with salt, pepper, onion, garlic and Worcestershire...all ingredients found in Cincinnati grocery stores!

CincinnatiPorkSteak20201003_2.jpg

But there's 1 ingredient that's mandatory for a CPS.;)

CincinnatiPorkSteak20201003_3.jpg

A baked potato and some pan-roasted cauliflower to complete the plate.

CincinnatiPorkSteak20201003_4.jpg

Last edited:
I'll probably be in Cinci again sometime after COVID is over. I keep missing a chance to try the Montgomery inn - is it worth checking out?

I can't speak from personal experience but based on what I've read and heard, the barbecue from Montgomery Inn is based more on the sauce than on the cooking method. So I'll hedge and say that it's worth going there to at least give it a try so that you can say you went there to at least give it a try. Which I haven't actually done yet, but I did buy the bottle of sauce at the Kroger in Lebanon, OH.;)

As for the sauce, to me it's definitely in the sweet tomato vein. It has its own flavor and its own groove...and it's good with fries.;)

Last edited:
A Cincinnatian here and stay away, far away from Montgomery Inn should you find ourself in the Queen City. Their ribs are cooked, at least at one time and maybe still are, at an other location and warmed at the restaurant and slathered with their sauce that has somewhat of a following. Also the ribs are boiled/steamed not even smoked. I tried ordering the ribs without sauce once and the server looked at me like I had 3 heads. I couldn't even get through three bones. I understand why they smother them in sauce. The ribs are basically a vehicle for the sauce. Although with better, authentic BBQ joints around town (Eli's BBQ to name a particularly exceptional one) Montgomery Inn is becoming a victim of better educated costumers who are getting to know what BBQ is, and more importantly what its not. The Boathouse location on the Ohio river is the most popular mainly because it caters to large groups (business parties,, etc) and has a view. It's a sorry sorry excuse for true BBQ. Again, there are some that like the sauce. I personally find it awful. If you like cloves, you'll probably like it. Montgomery Inn does not serve BBQ in the true sense. No Brisket, pulled pork, chicken. It has a sauce that some people like, but that's about it.

I'll probably be in Cinci again sometime after COVID is over. I keep missing a chance to try the Montgomery inn - is it worth checking out?
No. Look Up Eli's BBQ. You won't be disappointed. Montgomery Inn doesn't even smoke their ribs.

I can't speak from personal experience but based on what I've read and heard, the barbecue from Montgomery Inn is based more on the sauce than on the cooking method. So I'll hedge and say that it's worth going there to at least give it a try so that you can say you went there to at least give it a try. Which I haven't actually done yet, but I did buy the bottle of sauce at the Kroger in Lebanon, OH.;)

As for the sauce, to me it's definitely in the sweet tomato vein. It has its own flavor and its own groove...and it's good with fries.;)
The Montgomery Inn has a wide BBQ menu chicken being high on there list .
Had a couple of company Christmas parties there and the Prim Rib was spot on
And a good veiw of the Ohio River

Back