Chicken and scalloped potatoes

Robert T

TVWBB Guru
My daughter asked me last night if I would make chicken today. Of course I will!
Two chickens, one for dinner and one for salads and stuff next week.
Rubbed the chickens with butter and seasoned with Johnny's seasoned salt, pepper and garlic powder
0280bc13-bcde-4f88-a083-6c0c76e8f370_zpseced3d1e.jpg

Set up the fire with light apple wood smoke
image_zps91a02a5b.jpg

No peek for two hours. Then rotated the birds
image_zps7a15ed64.jpg

Meanwhile, started frying potatoes and onion with salt and pepper.
image_zpsc3ed2a82.jpg

Added cheese and cooked about an hour
image_zpsa39dbc29.jpg

Took the chickens off at four hours at 165 degrees and let rest about 20 minutes
image_zps0648747a.jpg

Warmed some French bread
image_zps1c1998b4.jpg

Plated with the potatoes, bread and broccoli
image_zpsa1a65551.jpg

The chicken was tender and juicy. The skin had a great crisp and I think this was due to rubbing entire chicken with softened butter before seasoning. Thanks for looking!

The roasted chickens are always sublime , as we all know....and those look to be no exception. I really like the idea of making the scalloped potatoes (a big fave at our house) in the cast iron pan on the grill. That must have imparted a nice extra layer of flavor to those spuds. And warming the bread on there too...way to take advantage of that fire to its fullest. Really nice looking meal there.

You gotta love cooking outdoors! Nothin like taking the simple yard bird, potato, and bread to the next level. Well done!

What a nice looking plate.

What temp were you cooking the chickens at? Must have been in the "smoking" range because they went for 4 hours.

What a nice looking plate.

What temp were you cooking the chickens at? Must have been in the "smoking" range because they went for 4 hours.

They cooked around 200-215 for the first three hours and then I opened all the vents fully for the last hour. I took out my Maverik sensor after I added some charcoal but I would estimate around 375.

Back