Chicago Dogs with Sweet Potato Wedges

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
This was a quick, easy cook and I had fun doing it. I've been reading about Chicago Dogs recently and they sounded really good. Not entirely authentic as the dogs are supposed to be all beef wiener in a natural casing. I used Casper dogs as they have natural casings, but also contain some pork in the dog as well. Also, the Casper dog is longer than the standard beef wiener Anyway, here goes.

Before I got going on the dogs I cut up some sweet potatoes and seasoned them with SYD rub. Recipe is on TVWB.

The ingredients I used for the Chicago Dogs. Had a heck of a time finding Sport Peppers, but finally got some at World Market. Also had to improvise on the buns as I couldn't find poppy seed hot dog buns, particularly the longer buns.

Got Wedges on the grill.

Didn't want to put our stovetop steamer on the grill so I improvised. Got the steam going.

Dogs in the steam for about 5 minutes, then the Poppy Seed buns for one minute.

A few of the potatoes got a little dark. Just consider it "Bark". Sure were good though.

Got the steamed dogs on the buns with first yellow mustard and then sweet pickle relish.

Added some chopped white onion, dill pickle spear and some sliced fresh tomato.

Plated.

Last edited:
My wife made a Peach Cobbler earlier in the day and we each had that along with some Vanilla Haagen Dazs ice cream for dessert.

These were absolutely delicious. Definitely going in the line up. Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Those look great Cliff. Growing up in the 'burbs of Chicago I had my fair share of the real deal and seeing yours I'm going to try to make some myself. We have a world Market so now I know where to get the sport peppers. I've never seen poppy seed hot dog buns here ether so I'll have to fake that item also.
I believe the hot dog of choice was Vienna all beef if I remember right, can't say if I've ever seen them here, but I'll start looking.

Take a minute to find some kosher dogs, they are surely available and definitely worth the search!
Yes, "Vienna" IS the brand of choice in the "Windy City"!

Hot diggity dog Cliff, great looking combo.
Instead of going big on Super Bowl Sunday I might just cook some dogs (your way), and some burgers.
Go Atlanta.

You can look online for places that sell Vienna beef & add some celery salt to those dogs takes them to a new level... Yours came out great looking Cliff.

Man Cliff, you nailed that one and yes we will be doing some in the near future. Will have to but Rich to work on getting everything together.

Cliff, that is a great idea and it will go on my list for sure. Great pics and love the dessert.

If it doesn't get to your elbow before you get the first bite, it's not quite there yet;).
There's a guy with a cart usually right in front of the art institute that has some great ones, in front of Wrigley there's a place and then there's the guy about half a mile from me here in Kalamazoo. Huge Chicago fan, Ray-Rays is the name of the place. His is as good as any I've had in the Windy City! And he's close!

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments everyone!

I believe the hot dog of choice was Vienna all beef if I remember right

That is correct Rich. Unfortunately, I'd have to get them from Vienna's website, and that would be the better part of a $50 bill. That is before shipping. Going to go with Timothy's suggestion below. Thanks

Take a minute to find some kosher dogs

I'll give this a shot Timothy!

I am pretty lucky here in Dallas (actually Plano) that we have Hirsch Meat Market and they carry Vienna Products the Hot Dogs and Sliced Beef - They also carry a brand of Natural Casing Hot Dog called Thumanns and they are awesome, I think I am going to try this with the Thumanns but use all the rest of a CD flavors, heck Krogers here sells Neon Green Relish :)

It's like being at Casper's hotdogs, only better

DSC_0038_zpsys6gbyqs.jpg

Back