Charcoal Amount

JLazar

I am still learning how to use my WSM 18.5. I have less than 10 cooks on it. Most of the time I experience not being able to get/keep temp high enough due to not starting with enough charcoal (kingsford). Can any of you provide a guide/recommendation on what has worked well for you on how much charcoal to use for various cooks? Something like:
2 chickens - 2 chimneys
3 racks of ribs - 2 chimneys
7 lb brisket - 3 chimneys
13 lb pork butt - etc.

Thanks, John

For most cooks on the WSM, I'll fill the basket about 1/2 to 3/4 with KBB and pour on 1/2 lit chimney, this will give you plenty of heat for most cooks, haven't done a brisket on the WSM (mainly due to cost). Vents, 1/2 to start with top full open, easily gets above 300deg. hope this helps.Just a side note, I got the Weber expandable grill that allows you to hang meat to cook, highly recommend this item, makes great ribs and roasts.....quickly.

First starting out, I recommend you fill the basket with unlit and add lit on top. You'll start having left over and will figure out what you like.

I'm with Dwain. It's better to have leftover charcoal you can reuse than it is to run out mid-cook and have to hustle to add freshly lit coals.

I am still learning how to use my WSM 18.5. I have less than 10 cooks on it. Most of the time I experience not being able to get/keep temp high enough due to not starting with enough charcoal (kingsford). Can any of you provide a guide/recommendation on what has worked well for you on how much charcoal to use for various cooks? Something like:
2 chickens - 2 chimneys
3 racks of ribs - 2 chimneys
7 lb brisket - 3 chimneys
13 lb pork butt - etc.

Thanks, John

When you say "2 chickens - 2 Chimneys" do you mean you would fill and light 2 whole starter chimneys? and then in turn that's it? or you thinking pour over unlit?
I have only done a handful of smokes as well, but based on my limited experience if you started with 2 full chimneys that seems like tons of heat to me. Like 350+ temps maybe.

Yes, I meant 2 chimneys. One lit and one unlit. I would be looking to do the chicken at 325-350 to get crisp skin.

I realize that there is no single answer to my question and that I have to learn by trial and error based on what I cook, whether I use the water pan, and the temps I desire. I was just looking for guidance from you folks on what has worked for you for different cuts. I want to be able to use that as a starting point from which to tweak rather than guessing and having to make large mods in the amounts (either way).

If you can't provide me with any details to shorten the learning curve, then I will follow Dwain's advice.

JLazar;
I have an 18.5, a 14.5, and a Mini-Joe. When doing long cooks, like Boston Butts, Ribs, etc., I simply fill the charcoal ring around the tin can (I do the tin can minion start). 18.5 I use 12 lit coals in the tin can, 14.5 and Mini-Joe I use 6 or 8. When the meat is finished, I shut all of the vents and then use the left over coals in my grills. I like starting with fresh so I have consistent burn times with all long cooks.

When I do "Hot and Fast" chicken, on the 18.5 I put 1/2 chimney of unlit spread evenly in the charcoal ring and dump a full chimney of lit. Again, when finished, I shut down and save all of the unused for the grills. When using the 14.5 and Mini-Joe I dump one chimney of lit in the charcoal ring (when doing Hot and Fast, no water pan is used).

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

I have been cooking for a couple of years now and still follow what Dwain advised. It's good advice and a great place to start.
Is there a learning curve ? Yes Is there only one way to accomplish what you are trying to achieve... No.
Multiple methods, multiple paths. But they all lead to good BBQ. Half the fun is choosing which path/method to follow.

Wishing you Good Times, Enjoyable Cooks and Great BBQ.

Yes, I meant 2 chimneys. One lit and one unlit. I would be looking to do the chicken at 325-350 to get crisp skin.

I realize that there is no single answer to my question and that I have to learn by trial and error based on what I cook, whether I use the water pan, and the temps I desire. I was just looking for guidance from you folks on what has worked for you for different cuts. I want to be able to use that as a starting point from which to tweak rather than guessing and having to make large mods in the amounts (either way).

If you can't provide me with any details to shorten the learning curve, then I will follow Dwain's advice.

ah got it. I thought maybe you meant two full lit chimneys of coals to start (but again wasn't sure).

dwain matches what I do as well. 1/2 chimney or so, light, pour onto 1/2 + charcoal ring of coals, vents open until I am about 25 degrees away from target temp then start shutting to 1/2 or so on each to stabilize.

JLazar;
I have an 18.5, a 14.5, and a Mini-Joe. When doing long cooks, like Boston Butts, Ribs, etc., I simply fill the charcoal ring around the tin can (I do the tin can minion start). 18.5 I use 12 lit coals in the tin can, 14.5 and Mini-Joe I use 6 or 8. When the meat is finished, I shut all of the vents and then use the left over coals in my grills. I like starting with fresh so I have consistent burn times with all long cooks.

Dwain's got it, adding coals is a pain, better to have too much and shut it down and reuse the leftover coals.

Thanks for all the comments. I will go as Dwain suggests. Do you folks see any difference (e.g., loss of heat) using leftover coals vs. fresh ones?

I for one would rather use used coals on my performer. Just my opinion. Whatever works for you is the way to go.

JKSmith

JLazar;

When I do "Hot and Fast" chicken, on the 18.5 I put 1/2 chimney of unlit spread evenly in the charcoal ring and dump a full chimney of lit. Again, when finished, I shut down and save all of the unused for the grills. When using the 14.5 and Mini-Joe I dump one chimney of lit in the charcoal ring (when doing Hot and Fast, no water pan is used).

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Got to ask what is the tin can method? Do you light them in a chimney then put them in a tin can then onto unlit coals? Not sure about that.

I believe the tin can minion method involves cutting the top and bottom out of a coffee can. Stand the can in the middle of the charcoal ring and place charcoal between the outside edges of the can and the charcoal ring. Place lit coals inside the can and then lift the can out. Creates a doughnut hole for the lit coals to go into. Someone please correct if this is wrong.

Thanks for all the comments. I will go as Dwain suggests. Do you folks see any difference (e.g., loss of heat) using leftover coals vs. fresh ones?

I've noticed that used charcoal seems to light faster. After a cook (after the coals are completely extinguished, usually the following day), I use a Weber chimney to sift out the pieces big enough to re-use and then transfer them to a 5-gallon bucket with a tight-fitting lid. Next time I cook, I put those in the bottom of the chimney and, if there's room put some fresh briqs on top. When starting with a full chimney of unused charcoal, it usually takes about 20-25 minutes to light completely, but with some of the used, partially burned stuff on the bottom, it's usually ready to dump after 15 minutes.

Last edited:
I had tried to reuse coals from my first cook in the chimney to light but they seemed to not want to light off, so I scrapped them and went with fresh. For me, there are enough variables so rather than add another one to the cooking equation I opt to use fresh each time. Learning how much charcoal to use is just part of my education.

Thanks to all for the advice. I will try to get to the point where I can get pretty close on the amount of charcoal I need. If I reuse any, I will make sure they are with the unlit coals and not in the chimney.

Back