Cast aluminum paint

Ann Dettorr

I have a summit platinum 4B. It’s all stainless with some porcelain areas and cast aluminum sides. The aluminum looks like it was never painted. There is some oxidation on the aluminum. I would it be a bad idea to paint it and what kind of paint should be used?

I have a summit platinum 4B. It’s all stainless with some porcelain areas and cast aluminum sides. The aluminum looks like it was never painted. There is some oxidation on the aluminum. I would it be a bad idea to paint it and what kind of paint should be used?
Hi Ann, please take a picture of the grill if possible. It probably can be painted but it’s better to know specifically what needs painting

Hi Ann, please take a picture of the grill if possible. It probably can be painted but it’s better to know specifically what needs painting

IMG_9637.jpeg

Here is another picture. Today im sanding it to remove the oxidation for possible paint. Just don’t know if I should leave it unpainted

Hi Ann you will need a hi heat grill paint since those parts are subject to direct heat. The paint should be rated for 1200f degrees. The closest color match is Massey Ferguson gray. Finding that color in hi heat is tough.

If you go to black paint is readily available.

Alternative paints would be engine block or brake caliper paint

VHT cast iron is the closest I've found to match the gray, but I cannot find it in stock anywhere.

I went with high temp rustoleum ultra black on my E330. Looks great IMO.

Hi Ann you will need a hi heat grill paint since those parts are subject to direct heat. The paint should be rated for 1200f degrees. The closest color match is Massey Ferguson gray. Finding that color in hi heat is tough.

If you go to black paint is readily available.

Alternative paints would be engine block or brake caliper paint
Thank you for the info. Greatly appreciated. Got this grill free. I believe it’s 2005. My first restore. I’m having fun with this.

I don't think the E3xx grills started until 2006. They were still putting Silver/Gold B and C grills in 2005.

I think the data sticker on the E3xx grills is on the right side of the drip pan stand. If you can still read the Serial Number off that, you can determine the manufacture year.

Ann before you go overboard on this project financially, Understand one thing about Summits. They're incredibly $$$$ hungry and can take you down a really bad rabbit hole. Check the firebox for rust through, check the Flavorizer bars. They're incredibly expensive, as are most all the replacement parts.
Honestly Genesis' are much better candidates for rehabs because parts are cheap, plentiful and they have cast aluminum fire boxes

Ann before you go overboard on this project financially, Understand one thing about Summits. They're incredibly $$$$ hungry and can take you down a really bad rabbit hole. Check the firebox for rust through, check the Flavorizer bars. They're incredibly expensive, as are most all the replacement parts.
Honestly Genesis' are much better candidates for rehabs because parts are cheap, plentiful and they have cast aluminum fire boxes
Thanks, this grill was free. I grabbed it a few years ago and it sat in my garage for 2 more years. Then I put it outside in the weather for another couple of years. My son just bought his first house, money was tight and he needed a grill. I figured now was the time to take a look at it and possibly rehab it. I was shocked to see that the only thing that it needed was wheels and a new igniter kit. No rust through at all. I sanded the cast aluminum and I’m going to repaint it on the outside. The guy that gave it to me said it wasn’t used much. So I lucked out. This will be like new when completed. I’m excited and happy to give it to my son. I have the manual too from 2005. I’ll post pictures when completed. Thanks again for reaching out with much appreciated advice.

Oh. One last thing about the grill. It was missing the left side tray. My husband made a new tray out of composite wood. Looks great

I pulled the endcaps from the blue hood which will be going on the stainless frame. I was talking with my nephew (welder) and we made up a cutting list for the stock. While enjoying some dinner I just got to thinking about what to do as far as finishing the caps, my nephew has been some side work at a metal finishing place and a light went on! ANODIZE! So, after I get the parts blasted he will take them down to the shop and get the caps on the rack! Nice place to start.

Back