Brisket two ways.

Jason Noble

TVWBB All-Star
Every time I'm at Walmart I always swing by the meat area to check out the days offerings. On my last trip I was able to score a Brisket for a reduced price, it's sell by date was up. The "butcher" hadn't even marked them down yet for the day. He just said "tell them half off up front".

I decided to separate the point and flat so I could do burnt ends and pastrami. First time doing that. Used oak and a beef rib rub I had leftover.

021 by wasatchbbq, on Flickr
024 by wasatchbbq, on Flickr
025 by wasatchbbq, on Flickr
030 by wasatchbbq, on Flickr

Smoked till 190 then refrigerated overnight. Next day cubed up added some rub and back on the smoker. Last 15 min I added some homemade bbq sauce.

035 by
wasatchbbq, on Flickr
040 by wasatchbbq, on Flickr

For the flat I used the dry cure pastrami recipe from TVWBB. Thanks Chris! Cured for 3 days then soaked in water for 6 hours. Used pecan for smoke and kept the temp around 230. Cooked the flat to 165. For the sandwich I steamed the meat in the microwave with a little water and plastic wrap. The pastrami and burnt ends were fantastic.

044 by wasatchbbq, on Flickr
046 by wasatchbbq, on Flickr
050 by
wasatchbbq, on Flickr

Ordered myself a little present. Can't wait to give these a try.

031 by wasatchbbq, on Flickr

Jason,

That point looks delicious. Even before it's turned into burnt ends.

That sandwich is out of this world! Do you have a link to that pastrami cure you mentioned? I love the way that looks.

Both ways leads to heaven! Pastrami is on my list. Looks delicious !!! Thanks for inspiration Jason.

Jason,

Great job on the brisket cooks - I love pastrami so I'll be giving that a try real soon. You made it look easy...

Regards,

John

Great looking job on that brisket Jason. Those burnt ends look fantastic. I'm going to do mine in the next couple of days. Hope they come out as delicious looking as yours. Pastrami looks fantastic also. Great job.

That looks great. I have to admit, to my tastes, I can leave the flat behind on a smoked brisket, give me as much point as possible.

How long did the whole point take to hit 190? And how long the next day on the smoker once cubed? I'm definitely going to try this out.

Two of my favorites, well done!!! I have a brisket in my freezer, I just might have to do the same thing!!

Great looking cooks Jason.
I saw what appeared to be "deli" mustard on the pastrami...thumbs up!
Next time try adding a little vinegar based coleslaw to the sandwich.
I grew up in NYC delis and would eat that there.
Again, great looking cook.

Jason my SLC buddy that is one beautiful cook and are you kidding me with that pastrami? I have never seen a finer looking pastrami anywhere! Nicely done buddy.

Back