Brisket practice

Charles H.

TVWBB Super Fan
I am cooking another brisket mostly to practice for my in-laws anniversary party next Saturday.
Since I had good results with the first brisket in the WSM I should probably try to duplicate that cook, but where's the fun in that?
The changes for this one are minor but some people are adamant that everything matters, I am curious to see for myself.
I added paprika to my normal salt, black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder seasoning.
I am cooking the brisket fat side down, this is a first for me.
I put a 3 lb coffee can (both ends cut out) in the center of the fire ring and filled the ring with a combination of used and new Kingsford blue making a donut around the can, when I started the fire I put ~2/3 chimney of lit briquets in the can and then pulled it. I normally spread 15-20 lit briquets across the top of the coal bed. There are three fist sized chunks of oak, one buried in the bed and the other two on top of the charcoal so hopefully they are distributed to smoke through most of the cook.
The 2/3 chimney is considerablely more lit briquets than I have been starting with.
When I assembled the WSM I started with one intake cracked maybe 3/16" and the other two fully closed, the lid vent is fully open. The grate temp got up to and held 235 very quickly.
When I put the brisket in the WSM I closed the intake so it is just a crack, this is where I usually end up before the cook is complete.
Just want to see how it works going straight to it.
I am 2 hours into the cook and the WSM has hardly waivered off 225 measured at the grate with a Maverick.
I hope to hold a low temperature all the way to completion.

More later.

Grrrrrrrrrr
WSM under temp alarm at ~0315 or so.
Grate temp 219, meat temp 156.
Poked the coals a little through the door, looks like there is plenty of fuel still available.
Bounced each leg of the WSM attempting to dislodge ash temp fell another degree.
Small adjustments made to intake vents (I opened each one using a thin SS skewer I have as a gauge).
It's really hard to have patience and wait for adjustments to have time to work at 0400.
Cook started at 6:30 so I am almost 10 hours in, WSM has held temperature real good, just wish it had held in there anther three hours without needing an adjustment LOL.
Here is the cook log so far....
WSM running at 235 empty.
1830 lid removed, brisket loaded fat side down, intake vent closed to be a smaller crack than the skewer diameter, trying to keep the cooking temperature real low for this cook.
1845 grate temp 225
1930 grate temp 226
2030 grate temp 225
2200 grate temp 237
2215 grate temp 243
2230 grate temp 235
2245 grate temp 232, meat temp 147
2315 grate temp 232
0315 grate temp 219
0430 grate temp 228, meat temp 158

More later.

Hi Dustin,
My WSM is a 22"er.
I am very pleased with it, the only mod I have made is to attach the fire ring to the bottom grate with SS tie wraps.
I have read plenty of reviews/complaints from users that cannot hold low temps or cannot achieve 300+ when needed.
Thankfully my unit is capable of cooking whichever way I want to cook.
The grrrrr was (mostly) in jest for being up between 3-4 this morning.

Hi Dwain,
Right now I am in a 'no wrap' BBQ cooking phase.
My goal is to keep the lid closed until the meat thermometer hits 180 and I begin to probe the brisket for tenderness.
I have read the hot/fast cook reports and I may try it sometime in the future.

My WSM is still less than a month old, to say I am still learning how to cook on it would be an understatement.
Next Saturday I am cooking for my in-laws 50th wedding anniversary and I am trying to develop confidence that I have a method that is predictable and produces great BBQ.

Sometime between 0400 & 0800 the WSM temp >250 but I rolled over and went back to sleep.
0800 grate temp 244, meat temp 176
0845 grate temp 243, meat temp 178

Almost time to crack the WSM open to see what this thing looks like and give it a little stick to check tenderness.
I don't expect it to be ready at 180 but I do want to pull it as soon as it probes easy.

I generally set my alarm pretty loosely as far as temps. So I go from 215 to about 265 before it bugs me. But I generally will obsess over it and I'm more in the 240 range just because I probably haven't found that sweet spot on the vents yet. I'm pretty much in the same camp as far as wrapping and cooking at lower temps. I'll probably try a high heat at some point but I really enjoy cooking slow and the discipline of it. I'm going to try the butcher paper thing on my next brisket.

I love the WSM. I cooked my first 4 or 5 briskets low and slow on an offset having to add fuel every hour and half. That's a beating. Not having to do anything but adjust the vents every now and again is awesome. If I do go back to my offset I'll probably be forced to do higher heat cooks.

Tried to wait for the internal temperature to increase 5 degrees then impatience got the best of me and I had to probe.
Here is the rest of the cook log.
1045 meat temp 187, not probe tender yet but much looser than at 183.
1110 meat temp 190, pretty much probe tender, maybe needs a little longer
1115 meat temp 190, probes real easy all over brisket
....pulled the meat, wrapped in foil, resting in the cooler

I was raised to be humble so I don't mean to be overly prideful, but oh boy this is a fantastic brisket.

Not sure why I don't get a smoke ring but the flavor is great.

Brisket Oct 18 by chashint1, on Flickr

Last edited:
Relax about the pit temps. If my target temp is 275* (where my WSM 22 likes to run), I set my pit probe to a range of 250* - 300*. Any where in that range is good. It may cool a bit before as new briquette is lighting and then may jump when it finally lights, but it usually settles back down some where in my range.

Nice looking hunk of meat there. How long did you let it rest? I was told to set it on the counter open for 15 mins to let the steam and high heat out. Then wrap it back up in foil, wrap it in a towel, and let it rest in an empty cooler for an hour (at least) or two hours (preferred). It'll still be too hot to handle when you go to slice it.

I wrapped it as soon as it came off the WSM and put it in a cooler with towels.
I let it rest for one hour in the cooler before cracking it open and eating some of it.

Your brisket looks perfect to me. I like that black meteor look!

Is there any other look for a proper brisket? :)

I remember the first brisket I cooked. For a family reunion potluck. Wife saw the black lump coming off the grill and started planning an alternate dish to rescue the situation :) It was the hit of the reunion.

Your brisket looks perfect to me. I like that black meteor look! Is it juicy ad it seems from pic?

I like 'em like this too.

My sister-in-law came by to get some for her dinner last night and she told me she liked the one I cooked last time better because it had less crust and was more smoky (I thought the last one was very heavy on the smoke).

I have been reading everything about cooking BBQ I can get my hands on for months and a consistent message is to not over smoke the meat. I deliberately cut back on the smoke this time and when I tasted the brisket I thought I had nailed it.
My family will be back home this afternoon and I will get more feedback then.
Since I am not the only one eating it, I need to cook it to please the most people I can.

Thankfully everyone agrees that tender, moist, and succulent is good.

The party for my in-laws 50th wedding anniversary was yesterday and I am pleased to report the food was excellent, no need to read further since I have no pictures. But if you have nothing better to do a story/report follows.

I have been cooking practice briskets (thank you Walmart for $1.99/lb briskets) in the WSM trying to get my technique and timeline dialed in (the axiom that BBQ is ready when it's ready rings true) and cooking low/slow without foil wrap makes it even more true. The timeline in the practice runs turned out to be very loose 11-16 hours for a ~13 lb brisket, with 15-20 degree average temperature difference making hours worth of time difference, but the technique produces fantastic brisket. My neighbor and lunch buddies at work benefitted from my practice runs (my wife and I got brisket overload).

I also had to cook several chickens before I was satisfied with the end product. Initially I was cooking them to a temperature and regardless that three food thermometers declared them done, the meat was too squishy for my taste, so the thermometer became an indicator to alert me when to start doing the leg shake test and that works better for me. The chicken timeline is pretty consistent though coming in at ~3 hours.

I also tried cooking some ABTs for practice, using the common recipe and technique from the internet BBQ websites, they cooked just fine but I found them extremely lacking in flavor.
I decided to fix them I would concoct my own filling recipe.

For a pre-party snack I made a batch of smoked nuts (recipe from BBQ Pit Boys) that turned out to be interesting. Everyone thought they were OK but would have liked them better if they were just roasted with the seasoning but without the smoke. In the BBQ Pit Boys video he cooked them in a weber charcoal grill without adding additional smoke wood, but said adding it would be OK which I did (apple wood).
I think I am going to make a sugar glaze to sweeten up the nuts today and see if that will balance the smoky flavor.

Ok, the party lunch was scheduled for 12:00 Saturday.
Backing out the timeline I knew I had to allow up to 16 hours for the brisket cooking at an average 240 degrees and 3 1/2 hours for the chickens cooking around 270 degrees.
I got the WSM going and the brisket (12.5lb) and a pork roast (4lb for ABT stuffing) in the cooker at 4:00pm Friday.
In the practice cooks I learned what works for me is to load the WSM charcoal ring to the top with a 3lb coffee can in the middle to pour 3/4 chimney of lit coals into and to start the cook with the intake vents set so only one is open a good sized crack.

Using this method to start the fire the WSM worked up to a stable 230 degrees in one hour. I checked the temperature every 1/2 hour and it was +/-4 degrees, we went out for dinner and when we got back at 9:30pm the grate temperature on the WSM was 226 degrees. Normally I would not have done anything to the cooker and just gone to bed.....but.... I started worrying about being ~10 degrees low on the temperature and keeping my timeline...sooooo... I opened a second intake vent a crack.....from that point on I fought the temperature all night....by being antsy I turned a rock solid temperature into an absolute roller coaster and got no sleep...I might as well have been tending a ECB stick burner.

The little pork roast was done at 1:00am and when I pulled it I unknowingly sat the lid of the WSM down on the thermometer wire and if I thought I had been fighting the temperature earlier I was wrong....by 1:30am the temperature was 290 and rising fast. The vents had no control I finally checked the lid and found the problem but the coal bed was raging and I had to choke it down...by this time I was fairly well convinced my meal was going to be a disaster.

At 3:00am the brisket internal temperature was 183 and my grate temp was still yoyoing depending on my vents from 215 to 260...the typical vent setting were choking it and anything more let it run away. I stopped taking notes at 3:00 since the only lesson to learn is don't mess with the WSM once I get it running stable and BBQ is ready when it's ready regardless of a serving schedule.

After closing the vents from a runaway I fell asleep and woke at 6:00am and the grate temp was 196 degrees and the meat temp was still at 185. I have needed 190-195+ on the practice briskets to get the right probe feel and I didn't think I could get that temperature by 8:00. I don't know why but I took my skewer and probed the brisket, it probed perfectly, if I had cooked to 190+ it would have been mush meat.
I was two hours ahead on the timeline but there was no other choice but to wrap it and put it in the cooler to hold.

I took the WSM apart and tended the coal bed, there was a lot of charcoal left and using a shovel I got it centered up in a pile, I got rid of the brisket drippings collected on the foil liner in the water pan and rewrapped the pan, I set the vents to the "normal chicken" configuration of top vent 100% open, intake vents set two closed, and one open ~25%.
Went inside and started getting the chickens ready to go into the cooker.
At 7:30am I checked the WSM and it was running 267 degrees (this is what it did in the practice cooks), at 8:00am I put the chickens in the WSM.

To say I was tired would be an understatement but there was a ton of work left to do so I got started peeling potatoes, and chopping onions, and bell peppers.
When the beans and potatoes were prepped and in the oven I thought about blowing off the ABTs but I had bought all the stuff and without serving to a crowd it would have ended up being discarded.

From my practice run with the ABTs I thought the peppers would be better with meat filling instead of all cheese so the pork roast was cooked for that purpose.
I pulled the refrigerated pork roast apart and we all (wife, the dogbert, and I) thought it tasted very good and that is what we nibbled on for breakfast.

I used one brick of Philly cream cheese, a couple hand fills of shredded cheddar, and by eye added SPOG, cumin, and chili powder and mixed all this together.
In another bowl I mixed small amounts of pulled pork and cheese concoction, I would estimate it was 60/40 ratio pork to cheese mix. I didn't intend to use all of the pork but by the time all the peppers were prepped there was none left.

The jalapeños were giant beautiful peppers from Central Market.
I cut the top off, cored them with a spoon handle, and stuffed them with the pork/cheese concoction, and tooth picked the top back on.
The bell peppers were cut into sections that formed scoops and made bell pepper poppers.
I had intended to wrap the peppers with bacon and cook them on the gas grill but I just didn't have the time to do it.
Around 10:30 I put the peppers in the WSM with the chickens.

The chickens were ready at ~11:30 and even though some of the peppers could have used a little more time they were all acceptably soft/tender and it was time to pack the coolers and get the food to the party so they were pulled with the chickens.

All the worrying I did over the brisket was wasted energy, it was fabulous and I think if I had just left the WSM alone and went to bed the results would have been the same, and I would have enjoyed the party a lot more too. Lesson learned on that front...don't mess with the WSM.

I am pretty basic when it comes to brisket seasoning, I use SPOG sprinkled on individually by eye. After the rub was applied the brisket rested uncovered in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours.
This was the first prime packer I have cooked, and I could certainly tell a difference in the meat, my wife who has 'suffered' through eating a lot of brisket during the practice cooks (most were select grade briskets) told me she could tell a difference in the meat too.
The chickens were seasoned with Klose poultry seasoning.
My mother-in-law and sister-in-law gave the chicken high praise (I didn't sample it, actually I was so tired and stressed I didn't really eat very much).

The peppers turned out great, I really liked the filling I made.
The first jalapeño I had was flavorful and mild, I decided I needed another one...holy smokes that second one just about set me on fire, the first one was cooked a little softer than the first so I have recommended the leftovers being thrown in the oven and cooked until completely soft to see if that tones down the heat.

The potatoes were basic but surprisingly good, peeled and sliced into discs, onion chopped coarse, potatoes and onions layered in baking pan with salt/pepper sprinkled sparingly on each layer, butter pats placed on top, two slices of crisp bacon crushed and sprinkled across top, foil covered, oven cooked at 350 until fork tender.

My sweet beans start life as canned beans but they get doctored up pretty good and taste great. Big can (or two or three depending on how much you want to make) of Bush Original Baked Beans my adds are diced onion and bell pepper, brown sugar, catsup, mustard, KC Masterpiece Original BBQ sauce, and 3-4 slices crisp crumbled bacon. Sorry but I am not really a recipe cook, I add by eye until it looks right to me and I cook it till it looks and feels right. Mix all ingredients together in the baking pan and cook uncovered in the oven at 350, when the onion/pepper is cooked soft the beans are considered done, they are better if they are cooked until the top is browned a little bit.

If you got through all that thanks for reading it.
In the end the party and the food was a great success, my in-laws were very pleased.
I guess it's just as hard to really mess it up as it is to really get it perfect.

Charles, the cook looks great. For what its worth when I do an overnight cook on my 22" WSM I set the cooker with one bottom intake just cracked and the top a little less then halfway opened and wait for it to settle in at about 230 or 240. I then go to bed without any alarms being set and whatever happens while I'm sleeping till 8am just happens. I've awakened with the temp down to 170 and as high as 300 but the food is always real good. This hobby/sickness is nothing to loose any sleep over. Just sayin.

Back