Brisket practice

I was raised to be humble so I don't mean to be overly prideful, but oh boy this is a fantastic brisket. Not sure why I don't get a smoke ring but the flavor is great.
That looks fantastic. I don't get much of a smoke ring either, but my briskets don't turn out as good as yours, so it's not like we're doing the samething, lol

Charles, the cook looks great. For what its worth when I do an overnight cook on my 22" WSM I set the cooker with one bottom intake just cracked and the top a little less then halfway opened and wait for it to settle in at about 230 or 240. I then go to bed without any alarms being set and whatever happens while I'm sleeping till 8am just happens. I've awakened with the temp down to 170 and as high as 300 but the food is always real good. This hobby/sickness is nothing to loose any sleep over. Just sayin.
My normal mode of operation is to have a target serving time but everyone knows 'we eat when it's ready' so they get here early and hang out until it's served.
I get the cooker running steady with the temperature alarms set wide in case it catches on fire or the fire goes out and let it run.
Since this was a special occasion and I was taking the meal to the party I got nervous about the timeline and tried to bring a rock solid 230 degrees up to 240 degrees.
In 20/20 hindsight I should have gone to bed instead of touching that intake vent....LOL

Well, I started another 12.5 lb packer in the WSM around 8:00 and it's been chugging along right at 230 for two hours.
The exhaust is full open and one intake is open a crack. Started the fire in a full fire ring using about 2/3 chimney poured in a hole in the middle of the charcoal bed. Water pan foiled and dry. Using cherry chunks (first time) for this cook. It is a beautiful evening, clear and still with an expected low of 47. Simple SPOG rub. Fat cap down.
I won't be touching those vents tonight LOL...I am going to sleep.
The plan is to keep it simple and eat brisket sandwiches for Saturday's lunch.
When I crack the WSM open in the morning I will try to take a couple of pictures.

I never touched the vents on the WSM.
The highest temp I saw was 240 at midnight when I went to bed.
At 4am I had to get up for a pitstop (all you young men should appreciate being able to sleep straight through for 7-8 hours...sorry I digress) and the temperature was 234.
It's 8:00am the top grate temperature is 230 and the brisket is 167.
I won't crack it open until the brisket is over 180.

I haven't really been paying attention to the WSM but probably should have been checking it once in a while.
As the morning has progressed the wind has really kicked up and the WSM temp was down to 207.
I opened the intake vents and it's running at 250 now.
The brisket is still only at 167, I am ready for a sandwich but unfortunately my meat has been stalled for quite some time.
Oh well, BBQ is ready when it's ready.
Now that the WSM is running hotter the brisket should get going again soon.
BTW I am accustomed to smelling mostly oak and hickory when I smoke meat this is the first time I have ever used cherry and it has a very distinct cherry aroma. Not sure if I like the cherry smell or not. More importantly though is I am really wondering what the brisket will taste like.

Last edited:
I usually use oak chunks for smoking brisket and the cherry is much more mild, maybe even a little bit sweet tasting.
Even though it's different than 'normal' the brisket tastes great and I would use the cherry again for a change up.

...Hi Dwain,
Right now I am in a 'no wrap' BBQ cooking phase.
My goal is to keep the lid closed until the meat thermometer hits 180 and I begin to probe the brisket for tenderness.

My WSM is still less than a month old, to say I am still learning how to cook on it would be an understatement.
I have read the hot/fast cook reports and I may try it sometime in the future....

I hear ya. I am doing old school ribs right now - low n slow - no wrap - basic rub.

Nice looking brisket Charles. I love the red coloring that cooking with cherry brings out...

Thanks, Terry.
And thanks for the mod thread, the only thing I have done is attach the fire ring to the grate but I didn't even know SS zip ties were available. Wire would have worked, but the zip ties work great.

You're welcome Sir. I learned a lot of it here and at the Brethren, so I am always glad to share what I learned...

Back