Brisket - Low and slow vs High Heat method... low & slow wins?

Originally posted by Dave Ashcroft:
The solution to the delema is easy peasy. Brisket's love to be braised. I'm serious. Braise and then flavour with a mustard base.Throw on the grill later to reheat and hit with your fav sauce. Yum Yum Baby.

I'm with you on the braised brisket. Brisket's love to be brined and braised for corned beef, too. You lose me with the reheating on the grill, though. I just can't see going to the trouble and what that and the sauce would add. To each his own, though.

....but what's the dilema you speak of? Just smoke it. That's what a wsm is for, whether fast or slow....and that's easy peasy, too.

Originally posted by j biesinger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I am obviously expecting uproar from the hot and fast evangelists.

How about from science evangelists? I appreciate the huge effort you put into this, however, from your description, your research is loaded with bias.

If you have any chance of convincing me one way is better than the other, I would need to see equal trials in both group (randomly selected). You need to control for the fact that L/S is the dominant method and I would assume that most brisket posts would be about this method.

And some kind of grading criteria that you can apply without bias. For example: what percent of brisket posts used the word "dry"?

Did you control for whether the briskets were injected or not?

How did you define L/S and HH?

And really that's just the beginning. Once again I applaud you effort but if your goal is to convince someone that one method is superior to another you have a long way to go before you create an uproar. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I second all of the above comments. Far from scientific and definitely some observer bias hinted. Need controls, a good sample base, and random selection.

This is my opinion and ONLY my opinion so Please no Hating but I am as traditional as possible with my Barbecue so I go Low n Slow. If the purpose of High Heat cooking is to save time then why Barbecue? I believe (and again this is only my opinion) Barbecue is as much the journey as it is the end product so in rushing the process I would lose my time just sitting around drinking beer and smoking a stogie or two. The waiting is half the fun for me. Of course in a competition setting things might be different.

I get your point of view. It's really what one is about. I never sit around and never drink beer. Hanging out by the cooker - or even just checking on it often - is something I never do, nor desire doing.

Many do as you do for the same reason - and it works well for all of you, and that's a good thing.

Crazy as it sounds, I thoroughly enjoy both methods and have experienced success with both. It just depends on the mood and the schedule and the beer budget.

Back