Brisket - Low and slow vs High Heat method... low & slow wins?

I am really enjoying this discussion! Very interesting, for sure. I can see both sides of the opinions here. I know that the HH method, seems to be gaining popularity here. Gotta save time, on bbq, for some tasty brisky. But, I have to say this. I'm more favored to the Low and Slow, method, for brisket. With BBQ, you can't "rush" things, it "takes" time, with "certain" cuts of meat, such as the Brisket( and pulled pork too). All of my "midnight" 12-14hr Briskets, comes out "very juicy, tender, not dry, just perfect", every time! It's almost like " set it and forget about it", with the WSM. Works like a "Champ"! Low and slow, is the way go go.......!!!!

Good BBQ needs to be moist, tender and have good flavor before you add sauce. The method has nothing to do with it. A great pitmaster starting with quality meat (a must) can achieve great results with either method.

There are too many competition wins with both styles to declare either the victor.

Originally posted by Michael C.:
I am really enjoying this discussion! Very interesting, for sure. I can see both sides of the opinions here. I know that the HH method, seems to be gaining popularity here. Gotta save time, on bbq, for some tasty brisky. But, I have to say this. I'm more favored to the Low and Slow, method, for brisket. With BBQ, you can't "rush" things, it "takes" time, with "certain" cuts of meat, such as the Brisket( and pulled pork too). All of my "midnight" 12-14hr Briskets, comes out "very juicy, tender, not dry, just perfect", every time! It's almost like " set it and forget about it", with the WSM. Works like a "Champ"! Low and slow, is the way go go.......!!!!

I 100% agree BUT there are a lot a folks here thou NOT ALL that like the HH method because it saves them so much time ! And I gotta say if I wasn't a retired person I would try HH because without it I most likely would not get to smoke much back when I was working ! Having said that I do prefer low and slow half the fun is the cooking I don't wana rush it !

Iam also sure some just are doing HH because they prefer it for many reasons just as we like low and slow for our reasons !Its a kina LUMP VS K thing your just gona have 2 camps . As long as the person cooking enjoys it whos to say either method is right or wrong ? Surely not I. I say cook on low and slow HH or what ever just ENJOY
wsmsmile8gm.gif

With BBQ, you can't "rush" things, it "takes" time

barbecue is cooking, just like anything else. and cooking requires heat, well heat and time, but I'd say heat is the key player here. Its ok to admit that there's nothing magical about barbecue, its just cooking
icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by j biesinger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">With BBQ, you can't "rush" things, it "takes" time

barbecue is cooking, just like anything else. and cooking requires heat, well heat and time, but I'd say heat is the key player here. Its ok to admit that there's nothing magical about barbecue, its just cooking
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>Hear, hear. Time is only one factor. Change the dynamics and the time can shorten dramatically. No magic needed.

Originally posted by K Kruger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j biesinger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">With BBQ, you can't "rush" things, it "takes" time

icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>Hear, hear. Time is only one factor. Change the dynamics and the time can shorten dramatically. No magic needed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Magic isn't in the method (any method). The magic is in the result
icon_biggrin.gif

Magic isn't in the method (any method). The magic is in the result Big Grin

I saw a team named "barbecue magicians." their tag line was "all smoke...no mirrors." I thought it was pretty creative.

Just for the sake of clarity, what do you guys consider HH and L&S? I would guess 225 would be L&S and 325 would be HH, but what about 275? I cook my briskets between 250 and 275. Which way am I cooking them?

Just for the sake of clarity, what do you guys consider HH and L&S? I would guess 225 would be L&S and 325 would be HH, but what about 275? I cook my briskets between 250 and 275. Which way am I cooking them?

you don't have a big black line on your therm so you know when you are barbecuing and when you are grilling?

I take 2-4 hrs to ramp up to temp and I never get over 300*. Like you I wonder what it would be called.

it kind of makes this whole debate pretty silly doesn't it?

Originally posted by j biesinger:

you don't have a big black line on your therm so you know when you are barbecuing and when you are grilling?
Well...actually all new WSM owners do!
icon_smile.gif
It's sorta like asking what's better: root beer or Sarsaparilla? Mustard or Ketchup? BBQ or your wife?

(better not let the wife read that last one!)
icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Lew:

Do you foil it? How long does a packer take you to cook on average?

Personaly I consider anything on a steady 300 + to be HH and low and slow anthing below that steady I cook at about 235 to 250 most a the time . My cooker seems to naturaly run at 235 to 250 without much fuss duno why
wsmsmile8gm.gif

So IMHO your cooken low and slow !

Originally posted by DavidT.:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lew:

Do you foil it? How long does a packer take you to cook on average? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I go by temp and probe tender, but usually 3/4 - 1 hr/lb. I don't foil during the cook. I foil and let is sit after it comes off the smoker. Don't take my word for it; there are some real pros here to learn from.

Lew, I think you have three schools of thought, actually, and I'd put you in the low-n-slow like myself. I'll probably "get it" for this little essay of personal opinion, but here goes:

You have your "Nothin' else to do but Q" sub- boiling point smokers. These folks are a true minority, some thinking they're the "real" low-n-slow pitmasters, and I guess they're right.
icon_biggrin.gif
The proponents say that moisture will leave your meat faster if the pit goes over 212 ...or whatever your elevation's boiling point is. A guy that goes by Smoky Hale (Barbecuing on the Internet) is a proponent of this, and he wrote a book called "The Great American Barbecue and Grilling Manual". This is traditional in some circles in the south, but I don't really know the orgins. I haven't dared cooking butts this low yet, but have smoked spares with good success under 225. I will note that Smoky Hale recommends letting meat come to room temp before putting it on the pit. Dr BBQ, aka Ray Lampe, thinks you won't have much bark if you smoke ribs this low, but personally, I think bark is over-rated for ribs. I want moist and tender, myself.

The next group is the group I'm in. I'll call this group the "low-n-slow" smokers, just like Gary Wiviott's book. We cook slow enough to put it to bed if we want, some of us concerned with going over 250, some happy long as under 275. Wiviott thinks that some temp spikes actually help with the bark, but....

***Truth be known, most of us low-n-slowers probably cook at temps that suit our schedule, our cooker, or our drinking pace.***
icon_wink.gif

Personally, I don't consider 275 as hi heat as I'm truly trying to stay under 300. If I only cooked on the top rack or just put salt and pepper in my rub, I might not care... and if I didn't care how hot it went, I'd then call it hi heat, which is the next group of smokers.

I consider the hi-heat group as the group that pours a ton of lit coals on, opens the vents wide, cracks the door, and typically, uses some aluminum foil at some point. IMHO, nothing wrong with that, but take note that you do risk really dark bark (no foil) or mushy/pasty bark (foiled) and too much foiling WILL result in what some perceive as "greasy bbq".
icon_confused.gif

***Quick and moist prevails here, but PLEASE NOTE that I'm sure a lot of folks have overcome the bark issues enough to win contests.***
icon_cool.gif

Also note that hi heat has been a major player in the traditional barbecue belt of Texas where they smoke briskets and beef shoulder with oak.

***However, the pits typically put the meat much farther from the fire than in a wsm, and foil is not the tradition, not even after the cook. They traditionally wrap and serve with butcher paper.***

I can't believe I went to such trouble for such a broad generalizations, but the floor is now open to clarification and criticism.
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DavidT.:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lew:

Do you foil it? How long does a packer take you to cook on average? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I go by temp and probe tender, but usually 3/4 - 1 hr/lb. I don't foil during the cook. I foil and let is sit after it comes off the smoker. Don't take my word for it; there are some real pros here to learn from. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

To me, that would be considered low and slow.

The solution to the delema is easy peasy. Brisket's love to be braised. I'm serious. Braise and then flavour with a mustard base.Throw on the grill later to reheat and hit with your fav sauce. Yum Yum Baby.

Kevin, we have discussed MAGIC before. I am a believer, both in magic and HH brisket. Sorry to disappoint all the others but the technique works.

Mark

Back