Bought a new Genesis E320 !

Hello all,

This is my first post as I just noticed your website and great chat on Weber grills.
I just had the choice of purchasing the Weber genesis e320 and ep310 but decided to go with the e320 ( cuz of the side burner which i may use )

Also , i see that the grates are cast iron as compared to stainless on the ep310...

How would you rate the quality of the cast iron vs SS ?

I hope i made a good purchase with this model

thanks
Johnny

Welcome to the forum John!
I also have an E320 with cast iron grills and I am very happy with it, cooks really well.
I think you'll find that some will prefer one over the other it's more of a personal preference. If I lived in a really humid area I would probably prefer SS for the rust issue but where I live nothing rusts so I like CI.

Welcome John. You have made a great purchase, whatever grates you use. I have the cast iron on mine and have no complaints with them

I live in Montreal ... Where I would store it for 6 months a year :). So you say I don't have to worry about premature rusting ? What is the best cleaning method and maintenance for the cast iron as I've always had the SS in the past?

Many thanks
John

I have the SS grates and think they're great! (grate? lol) They clean up nicely, no rust, and give a great sear. Does the E 320 come with Cast Iron, or Porcelin Coated Cast Iron? I never had great luck with the PCCI, they'd start to flake after a few years. You really need to be careful cleaning the Porcelin coated ones.

When looking to see what grates come stock with the e320, I'm seeing some entries saying that the 320 is discontinued? ***? That can't be right, can it? Even the Weber site is just showing the 310's and 320s? I didn't see anything in this site (which is very strange). Did I miss the memo?

John,

Are the burner knobs on the front of the grill, with the burners running front to back, or are the knobs located on the side of the grill, and the burners running side to side?
As far as the grates go, if you don't grill in the winter, bring them in, and give them a light coating of cooking oil and store them in a trash bag over the winter.

That's the newer style. I've heard the side to side burners are prefered by some, but I too have the front to back configuration and love the grill and haven't had any concerns with using a rotisiare, or temp control. Congrats on the new grill. You'll love it!

That's the newer style. I've heard the side to side burners are prefered by some, but I too have the front to back configuration and love the grill and haven't had any concerns with using a rotisiare, or temp control. Congrats on the new grill. You'll love it!

So basically the only uncertainty I have is this cast iron chipping away and rusting more than SS.
I am careful but don't want to be stuck with something that is less what i paid for.

Any other experiences?

My buddy in Maryland bought an E-320 (LP) back in 2009 (knobs on side). He leaves his covered on his deck through summer and winter. Every spring he uses a cordless drill mounted wire wheel and cleans up his C.I. grates and says they haven't chipped at all!
I've seen some pics and overall, the grill is in great shape. Although as a footnote I wouldn't personally use a drill mounted wire brush on porcelan coated C.I. I think most would agree you're asking for trouble.
Now as for me, I just bought an EP-330 with the 9mm SS grates. They give a nice sear, clean up fast, and have a very durable look to them.
I honestly think it's mostly one preference over the other and both configurations work well.
I think you will be happy with your choice for a long time to come. I wouldn't sweat it as you can always switch to SS down the road. I don't think you can go wrong with a Weber.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your input and advice...

Since i've never had a cast iron , what would be the best cleaning techniques and brush before bbq'ing?
Is the wire bristle too harsh ( may scratch and chip the enamel )
Or should I use a different material brush?

I have the e310 - cast iron - and I live in Atlanta - very hot and humid - no rust so far! I clean with a wire brush after I'm done grilling while things are still hot and then again a quick brushing before I start (grates are cold) and it seems to be working well. My e310 has been in the family for 3 years now and just recently welcomed in a new WSM 14.5! You know it's a good life when you have three grills and a really great day when you can fire all of them up and good something on each.

I just assembled my e320 today and it was quite easy if you follow instructions well :). This thing is really sturdy and made really well when u look at the materials used for each part

Pardon my ignorance but which side up do the cast iron grates go , I see a flat side and a triangular round side ? :confused:

Congratulations! That should be an awesome grill.

The best way I've found to maintain cast iron grates is to cook on them. Never clean them. Just brush them off with a BBQ brush at the end of each cook (while still hot) and the beginning of the next cook (after heating up). The more layers of oil and stuff that builds up, the better. If you really aren't going to use your grill for six months over the winter, then I would take the grates off and store them inside. Sitting outside, without use, is a recipe for eventually rusting.

The grates are a replaceable item. In five or ten years, you'll want some pretty new ones and you can buy a set of cast iron or stainless steel replacements. Grates and flavorizer bars are the "consumables". :) I just rreplaced a cast iron grate on a charcoal kettle after 12 years. Honesty, it would have lasted forever....

Last edited:
Some say thin side up some say opposite. It's really up to your preference. I have used them both ways and don't notice much difference. I have CI grates on my Wolf and they are made so only thin side up will work. Also have a set of CI for my Broilmaster. If you've never seen one they have adjustable height grates. So because they can be used in different manners (to change height) they are made in a diamond shape so they always have a thin profile to contact food. YMMV

Ha - i've just got an E310 and I was about to post exactly the same questions!
a) Which way up should the grates go
b) do the grates need seasoning (I am doing so right now, and I guess doing it is never going to be a bad thing!)
c) I have bought a stainless steel brush - is this going to be okay to clean these?

As an aside I just noticed that the US version of this grill comes with a fuel gauge - UK one doesnt seem to... bit disappointed at this as I was expecting one, but nevermind!

Back