Blue K more stable than Stubbs?

L Weiner

TVWBB Member
I have been bbq'ing for about 5 years and have only used Stubbs briqs. I tried blue K today because it is all I could get and let me tell you the temps are far more stable. Anyone else experience this, or is it me?

I haven't had any issues stabilizing temps with either. Were you using the same amount? Same weather conditions?

No, I think I agree with you on this one. I think the Blue K burns longer too. I like Stubbs. Very clean and I never hesitate to use it, but I do prefer K Blue.

i'll agree with JeffB 100% on this one.
love Stubbs but I tried it once (all Stubbs) for an eight to ten hour cook and it burned out faster than Kingsford does/did.

Agree with Jim and Jeff. I love Stubbs - but I've had 14+ hour cooks with it and then had issues with it burning out in 8-9 hours. I've also noticed that I can't consistently get a very hot fire with stubbs. Say what ya want about KBB. It is consistent. and if you are concerned about the smoke / smell - I'm not mind you - just let it burn a few more minutes until all is ashed over and you'll be fine.

Funny - I always feel that I get better burns from Stubbs than KBB. To the point that I use KBB just for grilling and Stubbs just for the smoker. Recently needed to smoke, and had no Stubbs, so used KBB, and still felt like it went a lot quicker than the Stubbs.

Of course with KBB being 1/2 the price (when bought on the big sales) it is tough to turn down.

i find KBB burns a bit hotter and lights much easier, which can be good or bad regarding the issue of stability, compared to stubbs, but prefer the end result with stubbs so far. with KBB if i dont pay close enough attention ive had big temperature spikes, but stubbs is usually the opposite, not getting hot enough or not getting up to temp as fast as Id like. I havent noticed any significant difference in terms of how long they last, 5-6 hours on a fuse load in my mini WSM for both it seems. im still trying KBB out to see what quirks I can figure out to get the results i want from it... bought 75 pounds of it this weekend which should help ha.

Last edited:
Only used Stubbs a couple of times, seemed to work okay. At least it didn't look and smell like a trash fire starting up. With that said I have 28 bags of KBB in the garage.

i dont typically buy KBB because of the smoke smell and ash issues but i was given a bunch with a CL score so i used it while i had it.

I didnt like it in my WSM at all. i felt like it burned out much faster then the trader joes i was using my WSM up to that point. when i inspected post cook it was clear ash had choked out the cook. i use a pitmaster iq and have a second perpendicular charcoal grate for lump so these could have contributed as well but i didnt like KBB.

i just bought my first bag of stubbs for use on vacation with a kettle and was really impressed with the fact that there very minimal ash. I look forward to using it again in my WSM.

ill have to evaluate the ash more closely between the two. in the mini wsm theres so little room for ash to begin with that it fills up quick with either. esp compared to lump.

I used to use stubbs for direct grilling and kbb for long cooks. Now I just use stubbs for everything, I just can't stand the smoke from kbb anymore. It's almost like I loose my sense of taste and smell when I breath in the smoke when lighting it. The stubbs just smells like wood burning.

Me? I'm a fan of Kingsford Original. I have had excellent results in both my grills and my smokers. I buy mine during the big sales. My garage has LOTS of Kingsford inside at all times!

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

I had a great cook this weekend with KBB, using the method from my previous post. Sheilded the KBB with wood chunks from the initial intake of air from below in the miniWSM and that puppy held 225, no more and no less, with vents wide open for 5 hours. no excessive white smoke at any time and nice clean smoke flavor on the meat. hopefully im figuring KBB out a little and the next cook will be just as stable as stubbs has been in the past for me.
11140074_627938565542_373588833923857550_n.jpg

Back