Big Brisket Weekend

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
I've had this guy in the freezer for quite some time. I've had cooks scheduled, but for various reasons had to cancel. Finally got to it yesterday, at 2:00 am. Got up a little after midnight and got the smoker up to temp. This was a 16 1/2 lb. Packer cooked at 250. No foil. Pecan wood for smoke. I'd rubbed it down the night before with an AP Rub and Simply Marvelous Pecan rub. Injected with Kosmos Brisket Injection. Anyway, got it on at 2:00 and went back to bed. Also made some ABT's for appetizers and sided the brisket with just some bakers and corn on the cob. Here's the pic's.

All rubbed and injected.

Up and running in the middle of the night.

About the six hour mark.

Nine hours. Cruising along in the stall.

ABT's.

It was a long stall. Got some lazy man's bread done.

Brisket done at the 16 1/2 hour mark. Rested 20 minutes. Foiled and wrapped in towel and in the Pelican.

----------

Last edited:
=http://s842.photobucket.com/user/sdivecliff/media/Birthday%20Dinner/DSC_7428_zpstba8gtp6.jpg.html]
DSC_7428_zpstba8gtp6.jpg~original
[/URL]

Sides.
[URL

Bark was great.

Sliced.

Had a ton of fun on this cook. I was moderately pleased with this brisket. The flavor was great and the meat was moist. The meat got flaky however, particularly towards the end of the slices. At the last minute on the WSM I broke from my routine. On all my prior briskets I pulled them at 198 IT. I've been doing a lot of reading and have bought in on cooking until probe tender, not just target temp. When I tested for probe tenderness once the brisket reached 198, I felt that the thickest part of the flat was not quite probe tender. The very end of the flat was, so I took it up to 203. It was indeed probe tender but I was disappointed when I sliced. Everyone loved it however and as I said the flavor was great and the meat moist. Incidentally, completely forgot the plate picture. Everyone was seated, waiting for me and before I knew it my meat was mostly gone. Anyway, once again. Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
I'll take the part you're disappointed with :)

Makes me want to try a L&S brisket, I've only done high heat.

Love that bark! The brisket look great. I'm sure it was OTW. Sides are spot on.
I'm sure your guests had a great dinner.

The crust on that brisket is phenomenal. I'd tear into that! Unwrapped briskets are tough to beat! Everything looks fantastic!

Cliff I think you nailed that brisket. When you make the sacrifice of getting up in the middle of the night and put all of that love into a cook you can't help but turn out something special. How long did you rest it? It looks absolutely like a brisket should look which is to say moist and smokey and delicious. Nice job!

Killer brisket, bread and ABT's Cliff!

I agree with Bob, everything is done to perfection and I'd take a plate full of that. Your ABT's what did you put inside them, they look very interesting? Again Cliff fantastic cook.

Looks fantastic Cliff, sides are a perfect match. That's the way to beat the heat do a night cook, what does 2am look like, I think it's been over 20 years since I was awake at that hour of the night.

Thank you for the comments everyone.

Cliff I think you nailed that brisket. When you make the sacrifice of getting up in the middle of the night and put all of that love into a cook you can't help but turn out something special. How long did you rest it? It looks absolutely like a brisket should look which is to say moist and smokey and delicious. Nice job!

Let it rest on the counter for about 20 minutes under tented foil. Then in the cooler with foil and towel for about an hour and a half.

I agree with Bob, everything is done to perfection and I'd take a plate full of that. Your ABT's what did you put inside them, they look very interesting? Again Cliff fantastic cook.

ABT's stuffed with Chive and Onion Cream Cheese, Cherry Rub, Shredded Sharp Cheddar and Beef Smokies.

Looks fantastic Cliff, sides are a perfect match. That's the way to beat the heat do a night cook, what does 2am look like, I think it's been over 20 years since I was awake at that hour of the night.

It was beautiful Rich. Very warm morning. Shorts and a T Shirt. Did you read Jim's post in Just Conversation? Barbeque Is My Truth.
Kinda one of those nights. Sacrifice a little sleep for something you love. Had Q lag for a day and a half, but what the hey!

Great lookin brisket Clint! Could you tell me about your lazy mans bread please?

The real name is Saturday Day Bread and it's out of Flour Water Salt and Yeast. I was being sarcastic when I said Lazy Man's Bread. Did so as it's the easiest recipe in the book and requires very little work, but produces wonderful bread for your meal. There's numerous posts over the past year detailing cooks out of this book. Check out Bill Shultz's posts.

Love the commitment to the low and slow for such a huge brisket. That looks incredible, and love the whole spread.

Fantastic Looking Briskie, Cliff!
and THANK YOU for including your details of the cook along with great photos... more of this, and your name will be changed to CLIFF BRISKET!

DSC_7443_zpsojc8cntp.jpg

B E A U T I F U L !

I was moderately pleased with this brisket. The flavor was great and the meat was moist. The meat got flaky however, particularly towards the end of the slices. At the last minute on the WSM I broke from my routine. On all my prior briskets I pulled them at 198 IT. I've been doing a lot of reading and have bought in on cooking until probe tender, not just target temp. When I tested for probe tenderness once the brisket reached 198, I felt that the thickest part of the flat was not quite probe tender. The very end of the flat was, so I took it up to 203. It was indeed probe tender but I was disappointed when I sliced. Everyone loved it however and as I said the flavor was great and the meat moist.

Exactly my experience. Multiple times. What I'm doing now is pulling sometimes prior to undeniably probe tender. Like you said....maybe mid-to-high 190's. Then, I give it a long rest (2-4 hours). I've not had it tough after doing so, even though you could say it was a little sticky at the final probe.

Also, it's funny when I bring this up with my guests, e.g., "I overcooked it!" They're stuffing their faces, saying "What is he talking about?!"

Back