Best Paint - Firebox Exterior versus Grill Cart

Madeline

I used black Rust-Oleum High Heat (in the can) to spot paint the exterior of my firebox. The color and the finish (more mat-like) match my 2004 Weber Genesis Silver C well. Thanks to all the tips on this site!

For some reason I thought this was also the paint recommended for the grill cart. But the cart has a much glossier black finish. What did I miss in all the threads on painting? Can I use the 2X paint? I know it won't match exactly because of the quality of Weber's initial coating. 😞

Many thanks!

I used black Rust-Oleum High Heat (in the can) to spot paint the exterior of my firebox. The color and the finish (more mat-like) match my 2004 Weber Genesis Silver C well. Thanks to all the tips on this site!

For some reason I thought this was also the paint recommended for the grill cart. But the cart has a much glossier black finish. What did I miss in all the threads on painting? Can I use the 2X paint? I know it won't match exactly because of the quality of Weber's initial coating. 😞

Many thanks!
Rustoleum has two versions of its high heat black. One is Rustoleum ULTRA High Heat and the other is Rustoleum High Heat. The Ultra is semi-gloss and the regular is matte. They both are rated for the same temps, but clearly one is more shiny than the other when dried. The other difference is price. Ultra is about 60% more expensive. I use Ultra on the lid end caps and frame. Regular on the cook box.
If you want, you can just use the High Heat Ultra on the frame in areas that are adjacent to the cook box. The rest of the frame can be done in Rustoleum 2X Black Semi-Gloss which is a perfect match to the Ultra. Much cheaper that way.

Now I've got it straight: High Heat (matte finish) for firebox, High Heat Ultra (semi-gloss) for lid end caps and frame close to firebox, and 2x (cheaper semi-gloss) for wherever you can get away with it!

My grill is going to look fabulous (and I'm going to have lots of black spray paint)!

You may be able to get buy with just three cans. One of each. You could use the Ultra on the whole frame as well, but I don't think you will have enough after doing the end caps. I usually give the end caps three coats.

Also, remember to not paint the inside of the cook box or end caps.

Here is a Silver A lid and firebox with High Heat Ultra Black Semi-Gloss, plus a Genesis 1000 Lid, @Bruce may have a pic of the contrast, if any, between this Ultra paint on lid and firebox, and the 2x Black on the frame.

Black Silver A Lid pic 3.jpgBlack Silver A Firebox pic 3.jpgBlue Lid with Blk End Caps pic 2.jpg

Last edited:

Here is the contrast between the High heat on the cook box and the High Heat Ultra on the end caps. This is my latest rehab grill20230522_164300.jpg

Yes, there is definitely a contrast. But, I don't think that is bad. There is a lot of variance in color and sheen on every grill. Chrome or Stainless Steel against black is also a very extreme difference, but it works as do various colored lids against a mostly black frame. I do kind of wish the High Heat black came in a more average satin sheen, but that flat black is also extremely forgiving when painting. I never get the orange peel effect and it is almost hard to get runs in it when painting which is a really good thing with all the flat surfaces on the cook box. I could use the same Ultra Black on the cook box, but for the reasons above, it works better to use the regular flat. That and the flat is about 40% less in price than the Ultra.

I think Bruce makes very good arguments, and I do think that at least the earlier Weber Genesis grills probably did have a more flat sheen on the firebox. I have to admit that for myself, I prefer the firebox and endcaps to all be the shinier black. That's just a personal preference, as each has its appearance positives.

Finished 2.jpeg

IMG_0374.jpg

Silver A for Billwood slats.jpeg

Seems that grill has had some modifications done to it. Either the lid was swapped in and that was originally a Skyline Genesis 1000 or someone scored a Skyline condiment basket and put it on that grill. I am going to go with swapping in the Skyline condiment basket, since I don't think the Skylines came with wood. That is a nice looking rehab.

For a flip, cost and labor hours need to stay down or there's no profit so easier to paint and less cost per can for the win.

For a keeper, a few extra bucks is noise.

Another plus for a shinier black cook box is that grease drippings blend in with the paint. Less important for a flip, but makes my life easier keeping the grill looking good

Seems that grill has had some modifications done to it. Either the lid was swapped in and that was originally a Skyline Genesis 1000 or someone scored a Skyline condiment basket and put it on that grill. I am going to go with swapping in the Skyline condiment basket, since I don't think the Skylines came with wood. That is a nice looking rehab.
It is from a thread here. I do not recall the member's name. I too liked the addition of the condiment rack.

Last edited:
Chris: Cost has something to do with using the flat on the cook box. It is also easier to apply.

The handle was dyed with RIT dye. Do a search on the forum. There have been several discussions on it. You can do the knobs, igniter button and table end handles as well.

Back