Best cover for the Performer and charcoal bin question.

Dale Nichols

TVWBB Super Fan
I need a cover for a C&B lime green CL score I got for $70.00. Should I get the Weber 7152 or Classic's, Veranda or Grill Works brand ect....

It was missing the charcoal bins and I was wondering if I need them at all? And if so should I try to find the older wire ones or use the newer stainless ones?

Thanks for the help in advance.

I use the ones that came with my 2008 C&B Performer. However, there are times that I just put the charcoal on the grate. Just depends on what I am cooking. As for the cover, I have been happy with the Weber cover. Don't know about the others. Congrats on that Performer. I love mine and I paid full pop. Yours was a much sweeter deal.

Nice score! I agree with Bob I'm happy with the weber cover. Mines about four years old is in the weather and still in great shape. I have three sets of the charcoal holders that have never been used and a set I used once. I bank my coals all on one side for indirect cooks. I tried using the charcoal holders and found that they didn't hold enough and were clumsy to load.

I was just about to post the same question about covers as i will getting a performer shortly as well.

I am looking primarily at these three:

New Style Weber Cover 7152 $48.89
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00MBVAGLO/tvwb-20

Pre 2015 style Weber cover 7455 (44.99 on Amazon, Less on Ebay thanks to the recent Home Depot Blowouts)
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0013JJ79M/tvwb-20

Yukon Glory Cover $27.99
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00KMZGVXS/tvwb-20

The New Weber cover appears to be more expensive but is made of Polyester, the others are Vinyl
The Yukon Glory is cheaper but gets decent reviews. The reviews claim it's not as snug, which makes it easier to put on and take off.

Anyone have any experience with these or any opinions on any of them?

The past few months I have picked up a CL Performer and a new "end of season" Performer (for $50.00, can you believe it?). Neither had a cover. I bought two of the Yukon covers. Understand, I just got them so cannot comment on their longevity. However, I actually like them better than the Weber cover They are easier to get on and off and I believe I'm going to be VERY happy. I did have a foot of snow on them. I put a half full milk bottle (half full of water so they will stay put) on the work table - it keeps the cover from making a hollow to trap water or snow. It works very well and costs nothing.

Regarding the charcoal bins... I use a pair of fire bricks to separate my direct and indirect sides of the grill. This raises the level of a chimney of lit for better searing and gives me a relatively large area for indirect cooking:

However, after I got my Jumbo Joe I discovered that one of the baskets makes a perfect divider for the JJ (kind of replaces the bricks on the smaller grill). So-o-o, it turns out that they were not wasted on me, afterall.

Just a thought or two...

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Last edited:
FYI, the new charcoal baskets are not stainless steel, but aluminized steel. They do hold up for a long time, however and are readily available for not much money at any Weber dealer. I wish they were bigger, but I use them occasionally. Sorry I can't help you on the cover.

Robert, did you need to cut your fire bricks to get them to fit the 22? I have a pair I use in my 26, but have to overlap them when I use them in the performer?

Dustin;
It depends on how you place the bricks in the 22.5". At about the half way place they butt together nicely. However, at the 1/3rd spacing they overlap (if you need the extra space for indirect, then 1/3rd is the way to go. I don't consider it a problem whichever I do.

Here's another use for the bricks - sitting on top of the food grate to raise my pizza stone up into the lid so that the top of the pizza and the bottom of the pizza finish at the same time. Works great!:

Keep on smokin'
Dale53:wsm:

Would that be considered the poor mans kettlepizza? Just sayin. It also makes the bricks "multi taskers". Great idea. Way cooler than spending $200.00.

Robert, thanks for the info. Love the pizza idea. I just realized that my bricks are set in the same spot as yours on the back end but are twice as think. I need thinner fire bricks!

Yeah Robert thanks. Not many replies about covers. I did go and look at the new 7152 and it's thin,thin polyester but I guess it going to be around for years to come. It will be much easier to put on in the winter but not as water proof.

It is hard to pay $70 for a grill that is near perfect and $50 for the cover. I got a bid back from Grillwraps @$399. Nope! Going to check the WKC for ideas.

I live in the high desert in Arizona at 5600 ft. the ultraviolet light is killer on the performers Weber cover, at one year it's as stiff as cardboard and starting to come apart. The only reason I buy them is I get them for almost nothing at Home Depot every fall.

I have a set of charcoal baskets that I purchased from Home Depot. I thought they were a great idea but I find they dont hold enough charcoal and of course if used together there is no room for the meat. I have better luck just loosly stacking my coals on one side for indirect heating.

Back