Berkshire bacon, Berkshire ribs

Gary H. NJ

TVWBB Platinum Member
Hey all. I found a place nearby that has Berkshire pork from nearby (PA) farms. Price for belly was about the same as that for regular pork belly from my butcher. Worth the trip to their retail store Boonton, NJ. Picked up a 13 lb. belly and cured her with Ruhlman's garlic, thyme, black pepper, juniper berry, maple syrup cure. Stuff smells awesome! Then into the WSM for five hours with some apple and pecan wood. Sorry, no sliced pics, but you get the idea. Bacon: make your own. Totally worth it.
FullSizeRender_zpse9rd83bk.jpg

That was last week. Today I had a couple racks of Berkshire ribs to smoke. Labeled "St Louis", but had tips on. Racks seemed a bit thin to me, but I'm game.
IMG_3259_zpsbdkjejup.jpg

Trimmed them up. I like to rub the trimmings too and save that meat for baked beans. First time with Berkshire ribs, so I kept the rub light (homemade basic rub: pepper, ancho, granulated garlic and onion, thyme, coriander, allspice, dash of cinnamon); I wanted to taste the pork.
IMG_3260_zpstexfdoeb.jpg

Ribs done at 4.5 hr mark. Served with sauce on the side (homemade peach/chipotle). Ribs were a bit thin compared to standard pork ribs, but tasty. Would do it again.
FullSizeRender_zpsh6thew6j.jpg

Served with braised fennel. I like fennel - great with pork.
FullSizeRender-2_zpsxtkgjmwo.jpg

Tina Nordström’s Fennel with Dill and Coriander
Ingredients for serving 4 persons

2 fennel bulbs
3 spring onions
10 dried coriander seeds
1 cup (2 dl) freshly pressed orange juice
3-4 tablespoons white wine (may be left out)
Vinaigrette
1/4 cup (1/2 dl) olive oil
1/4 cup (1/2 dl) finely chopped dill
Juice of 1 lemon

Slice the fennel into 4 cm slices. Add oil to a pan and let the fennel, onion and coriander soften over moderate heat. Add the wine and orange juice and cover with a lid. Let simmer until soft.
To make vinaigrette: When the fennel is soft remove the lid and season with salt and pepper. Mix in the oil, dill and lemon juice.

And plated, along with warm sweet potato salad and my wife's tabbouleh (my request). An odd combo of flavors here, but that's the way we roll. ;)
FullSizeRender-1_zps9gcaer1d.jpg

Hope everyone had a great Father's Day. Thanks for the visit!

Well well well, look who it isn't.
Don't pay the ransom, looks like he escaped. :p
Quality meat, prep, cures/smokes/cooks, and pics, as always, Mr H from New Jersey!
Would love to get a hold of some Berk pork to play with!

That plate of ribs is gorgeous!! Wow. Thanks for that Fennel recipe too. My wife loves fennel and I think I'll give it a try.

Gary,

That is one ecclectic plate there buddy. Way to globetrot for FD. We love tabouleh and I can't wait to try the braised fennel recipe. Happy FD and thanks for posting this...

Regards,

John

What a wonderful looking plate of food! I'll be making the fennel tonight, now, can you share your wife's tabbouleh recipe? Thanks.

Back