Beer.

Some friends and I have been recently trying to go to a craft beer place, or brewery, frequently.

We went to a craft beer patio in November.

A brewery that they had been to but I hadn't, in December. For this one, I was a little disappointed that the two beers I had wanted the most, from their online menu, wasn't available in person that day.
If you want to have a real craft beer experience, plan a trip to Bend, Oregon. Probably the closest place to find a good variety and not overly expensive if you book an air B&B place in the off season. About an 8 hour drive from the east bay. Here's a link to my list of several breweries in Bend and Redmond, less than 1/2 hour North.

Had an adventure yesterday visiting Lightning Brewing in Poway.

Tucked away, practically hidden in an industrial park complex. Very small tasting room, we were they only ones there at opening. Friendly owner/brew master. We sampled a flight while munching on In-n-Out burgers we picked up on the way.
It was nice that you were able to bring in some food. Beers look good!

It was nice that you were able to bring in some food. Beers look good!
Every brewery I've been to in San Diego that doesn't serve food is ok with outside food.

Most of the smaller breweries have contract food service like food trucks or limited kitchens for simple (but tasty) foods - even they still allow outside food.

The big breweries like Karl Strauss or Ballast Point have full service on-site restaurants, so outside food would be a bit 'odd' in those cases.

We're lucky to have so many breweries close by within 15-20 minutes; I've counted 20!

If you want to have a real craft beer experience, plan a trip to Bend, Oregon. Probably the closest place to find a good variety and not overly expensive if you book an air B&B place in the off season. About an 8 hour drive from the east bay. Here's a link to my list of several breweries in Bend and Redmond, less than 1/2 hour North.

A trip to Oregon has always been on my radar, for the beer. When I first started with craft beer, Ninkasi was one of the first beers I had.

Their oatmeal stout is great.

I eventually also found Deschutes and Gigantic.

I don't see the link?

Sorry, forgot to attach the PDF. Here you go.
:( Unfortunately, the closures are as important as the rest there, and not always included. I've been talking beer business for years now with the local brewer, and we both think that the correction from over-growth in the craft beer industry is overdue and just starting. If you're planning a trip, it always pays to check beforehand to see what's open and closed. There are a number of craft beer outlets here in the Twin Cities that have closed outright, moved (usually out of downtown,) etc. in the last couple of years, some of them with only a couple of weeks notice.

Went to Alesmith Brewing Co yesterday - one of the older craft beer establishments in San Diego.
alesmith.jpg

Nice day, small crowds, cool vibe. Sampled a flight while munching on sandwiches we brought (outside food ok, but food trucks do show up later in the afternoon).
alesmith-flight.jpg

Came home with a growler of "Still Trending" double ipa (Mosaic, Motueka, and Terpenes hops)- smooth/balanced, but dangerous at 8.6% abv ;)
alesmith-trending.jpg

@Erik Tracy Looks like a nice place. Mosaic & Motueka are tasty varieties, I don't think I'm familiar with the Terpenes. With a name like that, I can just imagine....

I do like that first pic. I think I recognize the suspended light fixture in the upper left, I think it was manufactured by a company I used to work for. And had a hand in software tools for the mold design.

Went to Harland Brewing Scripps Ranch/San Diego yesterday.
harland.jpg

The rain finally stopped and had a nice afternoon sampling a flight along with a pizza (wood fired food truck outside)
harland-flight.jpg

From right to left
Even Flow: West Coast IPA - Citra, Amarillo Cryo hops 6.7%ABV
Indian Pale Whale: West Coast IPA - Mosaic Cryo, Simcoe, and Chinook hops 6.5%ABV
Citra! Citra!: Single Hop IPA - Citra 7%ABV
Fortune Teller: WC Triple IPA - Nelson, NZ Cascade, Phantasm, and Simcoe hops 10%ABV

All good, but we liked the Citra-Citra best paired with food, so that's what we came home with
citra.jpg

Last edited:
I feel like I am among friends here, so may I make a confession? I have enjoyed every single beer I have ever had. Cheap, expensive, all of them. Yes, this gets me into trouble sometimes.

I feel like I am among friends here, so may I make a confession? I have enjoyed every single beer I have ever had. Cheap, expensive, all of them. Yes, this gets me into trouble sometimes.
I never beer shame. There is a reason BMC sells so much beer. People like what they like. I actually appreciate it when someone is open to try new beer styles. Like it or not, at least you tried.

Went to Harland Brewing Scripps Ranch/San Diego yesterday.
View attachment 86295

The rain finally stopped and had a nice afternoon sampling a flight along with a pizza (wood fired food truck outside)
View attachment 86293

From right to left
Even Flow: West Coast IPA - Citra, Amarillo Cryo hops 6.7%ABV
Indian Pale Whale: West Coast IPA - Mosaic Cryo, Simcoe, and Chinook hops 6.5%ABV
Citra! Citra!: Single Hop IPA - Citra 7%ABV
Fortune Teller: WC Triple IPA - Nelson, NZ Cascade, Phantasm, and Simcoe hops 10%ABV

All good, but we liked the Citra-Citra best paired with food, so that's what we came home with
View attachment 86294
Interesting. I think it's rare to have a beer with only one hop.

Happy Friday everyone!

Found a new to me brewery in the Miramar area in San Diego (aka "Beer-a-Mar").

Fall Brewing - used to be the location for St Archer Brewing located in an industrial park area.

Generous selection of beers, relaxing tasting room with a chill vibe, 80's punk/new wave sound track playing. Outside food welcomed, dog friendly.
room.jpg

Taps.jpg

Our flight of 5
fall-flight.jpg

Came home with a growler of the Danger Is My Business DIPA 8%ABV

Just checked the Reno store and they have it in stock. Maybe it just doesn't sell in the East Bay.

You can go to Founders web site and search for where to find it by nearby zip codes.

Just checked the Reno store and they have it in stock. Maybe it just doesn't sell in the East Bay.

You can go to Founders web site and search for where to find it by nearby zip codes.

Yeah, nothing came up on the Founders web site beer finder.

I can find other Founders beers, but not that one.

I also wanted to use the contact form:

But unless I'm missing something, I don't see a "send" button. Do you see a send button?

I guess I will try calling them.

For some other breweries, if the finder doesn't result in anything, sometimes emailing has resulted in a successful way to get what I'm looking for.

Back