Banger of a Hanger

russ olin

TVWBB Platinum Member
WOW our first hanger steak, never had seen one or tasted one either. At $15 a lb for prime angus I hope that it's worth it. Here she is":
We decided to marinate it in Worcestershire sauce, tatonka dust (of course) and saw something new at the store Weber's Montana Steak seasoning. Guud stuff

Marinated it for several hours, pulled it out topped it off with a little more dust & Montana.
Hanger is loaded onto old rotten
550 ought to get it done over RO lump
She's getting her sear on. Beautiful color, don't you think?
Unloaded her from the grill around *130.
Sliced the hanger steak and oh does it look perfect! A banger of a hanger I'd say. Me & the wife both loved this steak, as tender and juicy as any rib eye or rib steak I have ever ate. Worth every $. Will be buying more. Love tri-tip but this is more juicy & tender of cut of beef. Makes me wonder why you can't find it everywhere.
Thanks for looking and have a great weekend everyone!

NICE!
But the 15 bucks a pound is a deal killer! Russ, only 3 years ago, it sold here for 5 bucks per pound! YEAH! $4.99 per pound.
Screw the price of it now. Those butchers ARE BUTCHERS!

That's a great looking Steak! We don't see Hangers here. At $15 a pound I don't know that the wife would let me buy one if I did see one! We'll have to stick to the $4.25/ Tri tip we get!

Lets see hanger steak or make the car payment. Wow Russ that sure looks great and hanger steak is great when we can find it at a decent price. Going to see if we can find that Montana Steak seasoning, both Barb and I really like the Weber seasonings.
Got rain last night and yes they lifted the charcoal ban about a week ago, things are getting better.

That is one awesome hanger steak and the bark on it is perfect. Rich is right but I would like to try one, maybe we'll put the dogs on a diet??????
Only if they get to taste.

Great looking Hanger steak Russ! Looks really delicious. Not sure I've seen it around here. Maybe at our butcher shop. $14.99/lb. is what I paid for my last Tri Tips.

Very nice cook Russ! That hanger looks and sounds incredible, hoping we can find one in our area... Do you know what exact cut it is, I am thinking I may be able to get the butcher to get me that cut next time my father in law brings a buffalo in to be processed.

Russ this picture says it all = DELICIOUS

IMG_2396_zps28cd67da.jpg

Very nice cook Russ! That hanger looks and sounds incredible, hoping we can find one in our area... Do you know what exact cut it is, I am thinking I may be able to get the butcher to get me that cut next time my father in law brings a buffalo in to be processed.
Marty,
The hanger steak is cut from a hanging muscle that supports the diaphragm of the beef cow & is not connected to any bone (hence it's nickname "hanging tender"). Similar in appearance & texture to flank steak, the hanger steak also needs to marinate then quickly cooked, most often on a grilled or BBQ, & thinly sliced against the grain. Hanger steak is very flavorful & recently prized by restaurants, which makes it almost impossible to find @ a supermarket. Once known as the "butchers choice" because butchers kept if for themselves. Hanger steak can be requested @ most butchers.
Hope that this helps Marty, this is what we found on a meat site. All I know great flavored tender & juicy cut. Will be getting a couple more when I can. If you get one on your next buffalo would love to see a picture of the steak. That would be great if you have the time.
Russ

Beautiful hanger Russ!
Never found it local, ate it once, back in 2011 at the P1gvilion in WI, and we loved it!

Marty,
The hanger steak is cut from a hanging muscle that supports the diaphragm of the beef cow & is not connected to any bone (hence it's nickname "hanging tender"). Similar in appearance & texture to flank steak, the hanger steak also needs to marinate then quickly cooked, most often on a grilled or BBQ, & thinly sliced against the grain. Hanger steak is very flavorful & recently prized by restaurants, which makes it almost impossible to find @ a supermarket. Once known as the "butchers choice" because butchers kept if for themselves. Hanger steak can be requested @ most butchers.
Hope that this helps Marty, this is what we found on a meat site. All I know great flavored tender & juicy cut. Will be getting a couple more when I can. If you get one on your next buffalo would love to see a picture of the steak. That would be great if you have the time.
Russ

Thanks Russ, will work on this! The description sounds like what I would call the tenderloins that I cut out deer...

Last edited:

Back