Baby Backs, Cornbread and Sides

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
We've been on vacation the past week and haven't been able to post anything. Been watching the board however and have seen a lot of amazing posts. Got back to grilling yesterday. My first two shots have nothing to do with my baby back ribs cook. Made my wife a quick breakfast before I got going. We used to call these Eggs on a Raft when I was a kid. I know you've all probably done them, probably under a similar but different name. I did the ribs a little differently, as you'll see as you view (hopefully) the pics. As my Title states, I did some of my Skillet Cornbread earlier in the day. My sides were Grilled Potato Planks with a Lemon/Garlic Aioli and a Summer Corn, Tomato and Avocado Salad.

First of all, the breakfast. Egg, bread and butter in a medium heat pan.

Give it a flip and a minute or two longer. Salt and pepper after these shots.

OK. Here we go. Grilled up some fresh corn and a large Red Bell Pepper. Half the corn is for the salad and the other half is or the cornbread.

Corn cut from the cob, divided in two and chopped up RBP.

Salad is all mixed, except for the dressing. Will put that on at dinner time so it won't get soggy. Fresh corn, avocado, grape tomatoes halved, red onion and some I. Parsley. Dressing is EVOO, lime juice, cumin, salt and pepper.

Two racks of baby backs, rubbed down with peanut oil and a medium layer of Big Belly Chipotle Lover's Rub and a heavier layer of their Original Recipe Rub.

Got the racks on the WSM at 250 degrees. Used two nice chuncks of peach wood for the smoke.

OK, here's where it gets a little different. After 20 minutes I added a line of Squeezable Parkay Margarine.

20 more minutes, I liberally sprayed down racks with apple juice.

OK, so this won't end up a 12 page post, I'll just note, that I repeated this process every 20 minutes, alternating between the Parkay and the apple juice for two hours. At that time, I pulled the ribs and foiled them. Before placing the ribs in the foil, I laid down a layer of Parkay on the foil, along with some brown sugar, a line of Pickapeppa Sauce, some minced dehydrated onion and a nice line of clover honey. I placed rack, meaty side down, in the foil, and repeated the treatment on the bone side. Wrapped the rack tightly in two layers of HD foil. Repeated the process on the second rack. Placed the rack back on the grill, meaty side down.

OK. Part 2 with this post. While the ribs were finishing off for one additional hour, I got going on the cornbread. Here is the wet mixture and the dry mixture.

Everything mixed together and friendly.

In the CI Pan and on the grill.

Cornbread done after about 30 minutes.

Got the potato planks grilling. Made a nice lemon/garlic aioli to go with this. No pic's of that but it was delicious.

Ribs done after about 3 1/4 hours. Done a little more than I like, but it was 102 here and I was having a tough time keeping to 250. They came out great though, very tender and juicy.

Side shot.

Plated and ready to eat. It was quite a feast.

Overall, I was happy with the cook. The ribs were not the best I've ever had but were very good. I think the apple juice spray and the 3 or 4 coatings of the Parkay kind of neutralized the rub. Again, I was happy with it and it was a good dinner. Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Cliff that was one incredible dinner!!!!! Lover the ribs will have to give that a try when we do them again.

Very nice detailed report. Great job Cliff. Making breakfast for the wife......what a nice guy!
Thanks for sharing Cliff.

Ribs, cornbread and corn salad all look great Cliff! I made note of the salad recipe, definitely looks like a keeper.

I have to admit to one thing Cliff. We here do not have cornbread and I do not know how it tastes:( ... but it looks great - as well as your ribs. Good work mate!

Great looking ribs. Complimenti.
Just wondering 3h 1/4 total cooking T well done baby back ribs? At 250F? Opening every 20 min in the first 2 hours?

Great looking ribs. Complimenti.
Just wondering 3h 1/4 total cooking T well done baby back ribs? At 250F? Opening every 20 min in the first 2 hours?

Thanks Enrico. I got this recipe off a Youtube channel I follow. I was skeptical also at the cooking time vs. cooking temp. He actually did his in 3 hours on a BGE. The opening every 20 minutes was absolutely not a problem. As I mentioned, it was over 100 degrees ambient while I did the cook. My ribs weren't really well done. They were extremely moist and probably the most tender I've ever done. Not much of a smoke ring but they were OK. I just like a little more heat (spice heat) I guess. I'm pretty critical of my cooking. My wife loved them.

Back