Ash Sweep Maintenance

Why!? A 22” won’t fit in my dishwasher so, you enjoy what you can, one of these days I’ll get one over on all y’all!😉

@John_NJ after cleaning the top vent, do you find it wiggles around when opening and closing the lid?

I'm wondering as It took a while for the vent on my E6 to get gunked up where it does not move when opening the lid.

@John_NJ after cleaning the top vent, do you find it wiggles around when opening and closing the lid?

I'm wondering as It took a while for the vent on my E6 to get gunked up where it does not move when opening the lid.
I haven’t cooked on it yet.

I understood going in the the vent functions better with the carbon build up, but wanted to see how it cleaned up.

There is a spot at the hinge where the chromelike plating is flaking off to what appears to be pot metal underneath.
IMG_6855.jpeg
If I didn’t clean the vent I would not have seen this.

Just something to keep an eye on, mostly cosmetic.

I might be able to get it replaced under warranty- I’ll think on that one.

I haven’t cooked on it yet.

I understood going in the the vent functions better with the carbon build up, but wanted to see how it cleaned up.

There is a spot at the hinge where the chromelike plating is flaking off to what appears to be pot metal underneath.
View attachment 80187
If I didn’t clean the vent I would not have seen this.

Just something to keep an eye on, mostly cosmetic.

I might be able to get it replaced under warranty- I’ll think on that one.
I’ve had Weber “chrome” delaminate off of handles in the past. This doesn’t surprise me, unfortunately.

It will wiggle. When I cleaned my E6 for sale, it was like new again. The vent needs gunk to hold its position.

He used a hot water tank drain pan. Not his kettle.
Thanks - I see it now. I thought that was his grill filled with water;-) Would have been cool if there was a way to soak your whole bowl! Maybe someone needs to come up with a custom stopper set;-)

Let’s not get started on water heater pans, I have to replace my water heater! Scheduled for next week! Need to get a a pan for the intended purpose for once!
Brother in law made me up a nice water pan grate cleaner several years ago, works very nicely. If I’ve had a big fire in the “hillbilly hearth” I can set the thing on the grate and the water gets quite warm! Cleans up cooking grates pretty well.

@John_NJ How did you get liquid to stay in the bottom of the kettle?
View attachment 80190
He used a hot water tank drain pan. Not his kettle.
This pan holds both top and bottom grill grates and two gallons of liquid nicely:

IMG_6867.jpeg

A pvc plug was needed to seal it- don’t have the spec off hand, but it should be pvc cemented in.

Grilling a beef rib roast today.

Decided to clean the ash sweep because it’s a nice quiet morning and it might be the last opportunity before the spring.

IMG_7203.jpeg

Ash sweep removal was easier this time
IMG_7205.jpeg

Removing the grate holders also- once the screws were removed a tap on the underside with a screwdriver/ rubber mallet did the trick

IMG_7207.jpegIMG_7208.jpegScraped it down with a plastic scraper and razor blade

IMG_7209.jpeg

This is what came out

IMG_7210.jpeg

A little white vinegar, steel wool and microfiber

IMG_7211.jpeg

Ready to grill

I was aiming for under an hour start to finish and went slightly over- hopefully shave off a few minutes next time.

Merry Christmas Eve to all

Don't feel bad. That level of clean will never happen for me! LOL

Same. I'll sweep the bowl with a brush and may take a plastic scraper to it, but never going to dissemble it.

As I've said, I keep the cooking grates pretty clean; unless I completely forget they get cleaned once cool and I'll brush out the body but that's usually it.

Totally get it's a project and does look nice. I do keep the outsides looking good with water during a cook or some grill cleaner.

Back