Apple Brined Pork Chops

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
It was 114° here yesterday. Cooking in the house was just not an option. Pulled some nice pork loin chops out of the freezer and brined them for 4 hours in a brine consisting of water, apple juice, K Salt, pepper, brown sugar and red pepper flakes. Sided them up with a couple of bakers and garlic artichokes on the grill.

Heated up the brine to a steady simmer.

Cooled chops quickly in a bowl of ice. Placed chops in a gallon zip lock with the brine and let it sit for 4 hours, turning once.

Got the artichokes ready. Sprinkled chopped garlic around in the leaves, added a little salt and drizzled 1 tbsp. of OO. Wrapped artichokes in heavy duty aluminum foil.

Chokes and Spuds on grill for about an hour on indirect heat.

Getting JJ ready for chops.

A little salt and pepper and Weber's Sweet'N Tangy Rub.

About 3 minutes a side on high direct heat. IT about 165.

Sides done.

Let rest for a few minutes.

Plated.

The chops were delicious. Great flavor and very moist. Liked this Weber Rub. Artichokes were excellent also. Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
That's a banging looking meal. I looked for artichokes in the store yesterday, and they were all gone.

Great looking meal Cliff I'm going to steal that brine idea. At first when you said it was 115 and you took out some pork chops I thought you were going to say I climbed into the freezer in there place. 115 ouch!

It was 114° here yesterday. Cooking in the house was just not an option. Pulled some nice pork loin chops out of the freezer and brined them for 4 hours in a brine consisting of water, apple juice, K Salt, pepper, brown sugar and red pepper flakes.
Interesting recipe, I like to get the quantities of this, mine's been:

1 qt apple cider
2 tbsp minced garlic
1/4 cup table salt
1 tbsp ground black pepper
1 tbsp ground white pepper

I would guess I could replace the white pepper with the red and probably add 3/4 cup of brown sugar, but I would like to know your recipe. You chops came out amazing. The choke as do the spuds look mighty tasty too. Excellent Cliff

Cliff that is one outstanding dinner I'd go back to Cal for that one. I love Chokes so will be doing that real soon.

Awesome cook Cliff. I too want to stael that brine idea. Could you give the proportions?

Interesting recipe, I like to get the quantities of this, mine's been:

1 qt apple cider
2 tbsp minced garlic
1/4 cup table salt
1 tbsp ground black pepper
1 tbsp ground white pepper

I would guess I could replace the white pepper with the red and probably add 3/4 cup of brown sugar, but I would like to know your recipe. You chops came out amazing. The choke as do the spuds look mighty tasty too. Excellent Cliff

My standard pork chop brine (adapted from a Food Network recipe) is:

2 cups apple juice
1 cup water
1/4 cup kosher salt
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes

I like to get a whole (or half) pork loin, slice it into 1-1.25" thick chops, brine in this overnight, then lay them out on a wire rack over a sheet pan in the freezer until solid. Vacuum seal in sets of 3 (the amount I usually cook) and then just pull a pouch out of the freezer the morning before cooking. When pork loin is cheap (under $1.79 a pound), this nets 6 or 7 meals' worth of chops for under $20. If you always like them the same way every time (which I do), this can save you a lot of time and money.

Back