Anyone Here Using this Coffee Grinder?

OK, this AM, I did 2 more spritzes and used a metal spoon. No static at all. Now it got me to thinking. Here was my process. weighed the beans in my container, 4 spritzes of fine mist, stirring with metal spoon after first 2 then second 2. Then into bean hopper, one more go around best I could with the metal spoon. Not a single piece of grind stuck anywhere.
So now it gets me to thinking. Could this work with metal spoon alone? Maybe it's not the spritz but the spoon being metal dissipating any static charge the beans might simply have naturally.
Tomorrow AM, this will be the process. Weigh beans, stir with metal spoon (no water). dump into hopper, stir once more, grind. I TRULY hope that does the trick. As I hate the beans being a little "sticky" from moisture and sticking to the hopper. IDK but we shall see

OK, this AM, I did 2 more spritzes and used a metal spoon. No static at all. Now it got me to thinking. Here was my process. weighed the beans in my container, 4 spritzes of fine mist, stirring with metal spoon after first 2 then second 2. Then into bean hopper, one more go around best I could with the metal spoon. Not a single piece of grind stuck anywhere.
So now it gets me to thinking. Could this work with metal spoon alone? Maybe it's not the spritz but the spoon being metal dissipating any static charge the beans might simply have naturally.
Tomorrow AM, this will be the process. Weigh beans, stir with metal spoon (no water). dump into hopper, stir once more, grind. I TRULY hope that does the trick. As I hate the beans being a little "sticky" from moisture and sticking to the hopper. IDK but we shall see
I "pre-weigh" the beans by using a wooden scoop such that 7 scoops...not necessarily level is exactly what is needed for a full pot,42oz. of brewed coffee. I think it weighs out to 70-80 grams of beans into the hopper. I then wet the spoon and stir the beans in the hopper. I get close to zero static every time. I think I saw it in a James Hoffman coffee video...I just know it works with both grinders in both homes.

Yeah, a mist/spray on coffee beans was dubbed RDT (Ross Droplet Technique) many years ago (like mid 2000s) in the espresso community when grinders had serious static issues. I could see a metal spoon also helping discharge any static charges as well depending on your surrounding environment.

Well, I will report tomorrow my findings. It will be same beans, same amount, only no misting. Only a few stirs with metal spoon. If that helps or works I will be sooooo happy as I hate spritzing the beans and dealing with them sticking to the bean hopper sides

I want to see if the moisture or the metal is the key here. Which is why tomorrow I will do the spoon only. Also IMO it does not matter how you add the moisture regarding the beans adhering to the sides of the hopper. But, depending on tomorrows outcome, if the static is gone or at least "manageable" spoon only I will likely test no further. If not, (IOW if the static is back), I will try the wet spoon technique. Though I should note here, with the KA I had, I could drench the spoon and still no love. But I think that machine could generate enough static to electrocute small animals :D

After going through several grinders I finally found one that was a solid fit for me. Very sturdy, quieter than most burr grinders, adjustable, and from a reliable company that will be there if you need parts at some point. I think the quality is very good at this price point and really a good bargain given how well built it is:

After going through several grinders I finally found one that was a solid fit for me. Very sturdy, quieter than most burr grinders, adjustable, and from a reliable company that will be there if you need parts at some point. I think the quality is very good at this price point and really a good bargain given how well built it is:
We have the Baratza Encore...rock solid and grinds extremely accurately. Not for espresso but that's OK we use it for drip.
Are you aware of the newer style gasket? It's an improvement in that it allows all beans to be ground for 100% with no residual chaff.
Aieve Hopper Gasket Compatible with Baratza Grinder, Gasket Replacement for Baratza Virtuoso Coffee Grinder & Conical Burr Coffee Grinder (6 Pack) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CHF9H2BC?tag=tvwb-20

Works great.

OK, mystery solved on the static (well excessive static). I recalled that, that the Habitat store had fully disassembled it and "cleaned it". Well having been inside more than a few machines others were inside prior to me had been in. Well, I saved all the parts affiliated with the burrs and the like, from the machine that came all busted apart here. Well, wouldn't ya know 2 spacers (actually very thin stainless washers) that went between over the main drive shaft between the upper bearing and under the impeller were missing. While these 2 things helped set the depth of the center burr they also performed another important function. To bleed off static generated in the center (rotating) burr into the metal frame of the machine into the grounded (yes 3 wire cord) chassis of the machine.
Used the parts from the wrecked machine, installed everything correctly, and did a test grind (no spritz no spoon nothing). Static was cut at least 80%-90%.
I know ReStore meant well, to try and clean the machine up inside and out, but they did more harm than good here. Thankfully I knew enough to not trust anyone and I had the parts from the USPS wrecked machine.
Even the grind was more consistent. I may still do the spritz and water trick which should make static absolutely 0% from now on. Because honestly I was pretty unhappy with this and nearly ordered a brand new KitchenAid grinder. Now I can save the $$$ :D Unless I just decide I want different.

Back