Any one ever smoke a Top Round?

Ben A Hillis

TVWBB Member
I was looking to buy a brisket last night at the grocery store. They were fresh out, so I settled on a top round instead. Has anyone ever smoked one before. I'm open to any advice, time, finishing temperature etc.
Thanks everyone!

I've done two. The first was way overcooked and tough, as I treated it like brisket. The second I brought to 135F and then seared over high heat; it was good for sandwiches.

As Bob says. Also, it is very good when sliced/marinated for jerky. As a roast, it has to be done rare and sliced thin. Good for shoe leather otherwise ;)

My favorite way to do a top round roast is Baltimore Pit Beef style, I cook till 115-120 internal temp

Ideally, low and slow finished off with a high heat reverse sear. That will give you a nice consistent edge to edge color and will be more tender.

And let it get refrigerator cold before trying to slice. Ideally, do it on a slicer rather than by hand.

Do them all the time. L & S about 225-250 with SPOG rub and I pull at 120-125 let it rest and it usually hits 125-130. Refrigerate overnight slice very thin, I use a meat slicer. Makes great French Dip sandwiches.

Back