Any idea of a fair way to settle?

Steve Porter

TVWBB Super Fan
Last week I received 26.75" Weber OTG that I ordered off ebay. As you can see in pictures there is some dings and scrapes. Rather then send it back and ask for a refund I would rather try to fix (read cover up) the areas that need some fixing. I've sent the same photos that are attached to this message to the seller and he has offered a partial refund but is asking me what I think would be fair and I don't really know what is fair. Has anyone done this in the past? What percentage would you think would be fair compensation. I paid about $252.00 including shipping to purchase this. It was advertized as "new other" on ebay meaning it had been out of the box but otherwise was in "new" condintion, and the seller indicated being surprised at the damage.

DSCN0916_zps3cac257b.jpg

DSCN0915_zpsb9363819.jpg

DSCN0913_zps7cf299d7.jpg

DSCN0912_zps45369b75.jpg

DSCN0911_zpsffcdedb7.jpg

DSCN0914_zpsf43df586.jpg

Last edited:
If keeping it and touching it up are ok with you, I would just ask for 75 bucks back....if he digs in his heels you can always go to 60 or 50.... It's gotta be worth that much to the seller to avoid the hassle. What does the grill go for at Home Depot?
Did you save a lot by buying on ebay?

You can get this grill off Amazon for $299.00 with free shipping. So I saved about $47.00. I've read on this forum that it seems people get this model kettle with problems at times and Weber takes care of them, but I don't think they would for a kettle bought off ebay. Home Depot, at least in my area doesn't sell this kettle. Places other than Amazon tend to sell it for $350.00 and up.

Steve if you called Weber all they will ask for is the vent code and to send them some pictures. You could then have them send you a new part. I would still try to recoup $ from the seller, that is really obvious and if he took it out to photo he would have seen the dings and scratches.

I would call Weber and see what they are willing to do.
If Weber is a no go, I would ask for a substantial refund.
If the dealer balks, ask for a complete refund.

If you put on a credit card or used PayPal, both are very good at resolving "damaged" disputes in the customer's favor.

Good luck.

Bob

Last edited:
How was it packaged for shipment and did it come with the original box and packing or other? This could of been a floor model which explains some of the dings and scratches.
How was the sellers rating on E-bay?

Tim

Mine was WAAAAAY worse, in terms of scrapes. Plus my bowl handle was twisted nearly 90 degrees sideways!! Me? I just straightened the handle back to par, touched up the paint around the handle with Rust-o-leum black caliper paint, and called it a day.

If I remember correctly, I believed I "touched up" the many other bowl scrapes with canola oil. ;) Can't remember exactly - that was a whole 8 months ago! I keep the grill covered anyway. :)

I paid about $252.00 including shipping. It was advertized as "new other" on ebay

Im shocked by the "call Weber" replies in this thread. Weber had nothing to do with damages so why should they send replacements? (Other than good PR). It was also sold "new other" which is not New In The Box. The grill IS new and was listed/sold that way. Might not have said it was a floor model, but likely that's what it was and why for the 'new other' listing. Not what you want to hear, but I say enjoy your grill & the $47 you saved.

I've read about some of the problems others have had with their new grills, which is the main reason I'm leaning towards keeping the grill and settleing with the seller, the lid didn't fit well at first and the bottom kettle handle was bent, but when I straightend out the handle I must have also fixed the warp because now the top fits good on the bottom. I've looked for some high heat gloss black paint, but all I've found so far is flat black which with as many dings that I have won't do. Is the caliper paint you used gloss black and match the finish well?

Im shocked by the "call Weber" replies in this thread. Weber had nothing to do with damages so why should they send replacements?
Actually, we don't know what part Weber played in this, and there's no way to know. But past experience shows that Weber ships plenty of product with dinged parts, missing porcelain, dents, scratches, etc. So who knows...

Regards,
Chris

we don't know what part Weber played in this
Weber had no part in this transaction. It wasn't sold BNIB. From what we know, it went from Weber > Ebay Seller > Buyer Steve
It would have been the original purchaser who takes it up with Weber had there been issues from the first box opening.

Steve, if that kettle has not been registered with Weber by anyone call Weber and register the grill and tell Weber about the damage.

I've read about some of the problems others have had with their new grills, which is the main reason I'm leaning towards keeping the grill and settleing with the seller, the lid didn't fit well at first and the bottom kettle handle was bent, but when I straightend out the handle I must have also fixed the warp because now the top fits good on the bottom. I've looked for some high heat gloss black paint, but all I've found so far is flat black which with as many dings that I have won't do. Is the caliper paint you used gloss black and match the finish well?

Yes, a very good match. Based on your pictures I wouldn't go through the hassle for such small scratches, as there's a lot of taping and masking of the unaffected areas (if you want a near-seamless job). If you choose to use it for those small spots I recommend that you spray a bunch of it in a small cup and use a fine tip artist brush to dab the affected areas. Better results.........faster too.

Thanks Tyler, I'm going to see if I can find that paint after/depending on what happens between the seller, Weber, and me. I did register the grill with Weber, all the hardware (handles, wheel nuts, wheel covers, lid holder nuts, washers, and rollers) were still in sealed plastic bags and the legs (except for the dent) showed no signs of having been mounted onto the kettle bottom half, so I don't think this grill was ever used, not even as a display model. "New Other" according to ebay means the box may have been opened or even missing ( this one came in the Weber box) but the item itself is new, never used, and complete with no parts missing. The "seller" in this case happens to have been an ebay store that I found on ebay, and as such I see no difference than if I had walked into a store and purchased it and then found out when I got home with it the problems that I have found. As such I don't feel guilty contacting Weber asking if they would help me, which I have done. They requested some pictures which I have already sent. We'll see what developes and I'll let you know. Weber may help me or may not, or they may suggest or send some kind of repair kit? I'll let you know what happens. If Weber declines then I will persue some kind of partial refund with the seller and try to repair the damage as well as I can and make the damage as un-noticeable as possible. Which gets me back to my original question- what would be a fair amount to ask for a partial refund due to the unexpected damage found?

Weber had no part in this transaction. It wasn't sold BNIB. From what we know, it went from Weber > Ebay Seller > Buyer Steve
It would have been the original purchaser who takes it up with Weber had there been issues from the first box opening.
I can imagine a scenario like this: Ebay Seller says to Steve, "I got that grill as a gift. I didn't want it. I put it back in the original box with all the original packing material, just as I found it. I didn't notice any dings, but honestly, I wasn't looking that closely. But one thing I can tell you for sure...I didn't damage it myself."

In a case like that, I think a lot of people would be tempted to call Weber and try to get free replacement parts, assuming that the damage was caused at the factory.

Now...the rub is that as soon as the product transfers from original purchaser to second owner, Weber's warranty obligation is over. However, as you suggested earlier, Weber often goes above and beyond in the name of customer service. They may decide to replace parts anyway, even though under no obligation to do so.

Steve, let us know how it works out!
Chris

although my relationship with weber has been up and down, good/bad service, i would not expect them to warranty anything. but as chris has mentioned, just be honest about it. they can surprise you. i have gotten a few things under warranty even after telling them its old and second hand. if we continue to take advantage, we may overstay our welcome.

The "seller" in this case happens to have been an ebay store that I found on ebay, and as such I see no difference than if I had walked into a store and purchased it and then found out when I got home with it the problems that I have found.

The difference is this ebay store isn't an authorized Weber dealer/reseller. It's being sold by a party Weber has no 'pull' with nor allegiance. The good part is you're just faced with cosmetic crap and not totally damaged/missing parts. Still sucks they're not in pristine condition, but that was a roll-of-the-dice via the ebay transaction. The seller should have removed, inspected, added photos to the listing, so I blame them for not cutting this off at the pass.

Which gets me back to my original question- what would be a fair amount to ask for a partial refund due to the unexpected damage found?

I slept on this question last night and wondered what I'd do in the same situation. Thought of it another way...
If you saw this grill in the store, damages and all, what kind of price tag would it need to have in order for you to take it home?
Original price - $299
Marked down - $252? $200? $150?

At $200, that's 33% off. If the seller gives you 50 bucks back, *I* think *I'd* be happy with that.
Hope it works out for ya and you're happy with the results. (both financially & the touch ups)

Back