Angus brisket in the rain

Gary H. NJ

TVWBB Platinum Member
Sometimes it's all about the food. But mostly it's all about friends. Today was a good day.
Had a few friends over for brisket dinner. Started the 16# Angus brisket last night about 8pm. Smoked with apple and hickory wood. Working under the eaves of the house in the rain, but it all worked out. Woke up at 6am to the remote temp gauge letting me know the WSM temp had dropped to 190F. Ugh. Internal temp of brisket a mere 140F.
Opened the vents and quickly got her back up to 250-275. Hit 150F internal and foil wrapped around 8:30am.

FullSizeRender_zpsbomi9pw3.jpg

The day went well. Friends weren't coming over until 3pm, so plenty of time to make the sides.
Foiled longer than I had wished in order to get to tender. Ready to separate the flat from the point. Flat gets wrapped and set aside to rest. Point get some sauce and back on the smoker for an hour to tighten up the bark.

FullSizeRender_zpsfl6jfxfa.jpg

Point sauced:

FullSizeRender_zps0t0v0lpk.jpg

Rain finally stopped. Here's the Q area, complete with folding table wind-break.

IMG_3280_zpsrxnesbyh.jpg

A little homemade Berkshire bacon amuse-bouche.

FullSizeRender_zps97jajzue.jpg

Served with sides. Cornbread, baked beans, green beans with rosemary, German potato salad, purple cabbage cole slaw. There's some burnt ends under there somewhere.

FullSizeRender_zpsftpqa9ci.jpg

FullSizeRender_zpsnpwhyhd0.jpg

Thanks for the visit. I hope everyone is blessed with dear friends as well. We all had a good day.
Note: Sorry that the house looks rough. In the process of scraping in order to prime and paint her this summer!

Last edited:
"I hope everyone is blessed with dear friends as well." 25 guys I work with came over to build a wheelchair ramp off the Big Deck for SWMBO ...we are blessed indeed. Nice post!

Back