A few preparation questions before my first cook.

I think smaller wood may produce a more smokey flavor you are searching for. You may also like more smoke wood as well. I prefer 5-6 chunks in my WSM. Only change one thing when you start changing the way you prepare something. If you change more than one you will not know which had a greater effect. I have 5 racks of baby back next weekend to prepare for. That turkey looks great by the way. Glad it turned out well for you.

I think smaller wood may produce a more smokey flavor you are searching for. You may also like more smoke wood as well. I prefer 5-6 chunks in my WSM. Only change one thing when you start changing the way you prepare something. If you change more than one you will not know which had a greater effect. I have 5 racks of baby back next weekend to prepare for. That turkey looks great by the way. Glad it turned out well for you.

Thanks. Thoughts on how the WSM looks after I cleaned it, and whether I cleaned it enough? I reposted the pics below.

Pics:

http://imgur.com/a/kkr4C/layout/horizontal#0

* I posted the last 3 pics, 2 of them at night, to show what the WSM looks like AFTER I've cleaned it. Does it look ok, or do I need to do a better job cleaning the inside of the middle cooking section? If I need to do a better job, any suggestions on how else to get rid of the char marks inside?

* I took a pic of the burnt charcoal and wood at the end, to show what it looked like. It looks like the big hickory split did burn.

But I agree that I need to find smaller hickory pieces, and will use those next time.

Thanks. Thoughts on how the WSM looks after I cleaned it, and whether I cleaned it enough? I reposted the pics below.

As one who is a big proponent of seasoning, I would say you way over cleaned it. Normally all I do is lightly run a balled up section of aluminum foil over the top and middle insides. One just needs to get rid of any flakes that may break free off the walls.

Last edited:
Hmm. I guess I was afraid of it rusting? The brownish color scared me.

I didn't spent much time on the inner portion of the middle cooking portion. I spent most of the time on the middle and lower racks; and on the ashes on the bottom portion.

Back