A few preparation questions before my first cook.

I'm not sure about the 2 gallon size. Seems a bit small. But... you can always go buy the size turkey you want and see if it fits!

A food grade 5 gallon bucket will do the job for almost any size turkey.

Should I use a giant pot? I have a 3 or 4 gallon pot, with lid.

So, I am planning on brining it in my 6 qt slow cooker. I think it will fit in there. Otherwise I hope it will fit in my plastic 8 qt container with an 8"x8" opening.

Ok, so I called about the sizes available RIGHT NOW in the store. They said 12 lb.

That seems a little small for ~ 10 people. Should I buy two, and try smoking both vertically? (BTW, which rack should I be smoking these vertically on, the very top one, or the middle cooking rack?). I want to do it vertically, just want to make sure I'm using the right rack.

Or, by trying to cook 2, am I just complicating things even more? Perhaps the guests will be understanding if it's only 12 lbs? I do also plan to have mashed potatoes, and most likely dessert too.

Also, any concerns about this timeline?

* Buy on Sunday 8/7
* Defrost in fridge
* Brine on Wednesday night 8/10
* Air Dry in fridge either Friday morning 8/12, and apply rub. Or Friday night 8/12.
* Set up charcoal Friday night 8/12, so it will be ready to start lighting 8/13. Make sure Flame Boss can still connect to Wi Fi the night before.
* Smoke starting ~ 8am 8/13.

I am also going to use this brine recipe, but about 1/2 of it, so it will fit in a 6 qt crock pot. If by chance it will fit in my 8 qt plastic container, then I will probably try for the full brine recipe.

http://virtualweberbullet.com/turkey6.html

"Apple Brine For Turkey" section.

Whole Foods that said they might have some 14lb - 18lb, but at $4 per lb., instead of $2 per lb. from the first store (Sprouts). I think it would be better to buy 2 from Sprouts, if I went that route, than one 18lb. at the higher rate.

Last edited:
So, I am planning on brining it in my 6 qt slow cooker. I think it will fit in there. Otherwise I hope it will fit in my plastic 8 qt container with an 8"x8" opening.

Ok, so I called about the sizes available RIGHT NOW in the store. They said 12 lb.

That seems a little small for ~ 10 people. Should I buy two, and try smoking both vertically? (BTW, which rack should I be smoking these vertically on, the very top one, or the middle cooking rack?). I want to do it vertically, just want to make sure I'm using the right rack.

Or, by trying to cook 2, am I just complicating things even more? Perhaps the guests will be understanding if it's only 12 lbs? I do also plan to have mashed potatoes, and most likely dessert too.

Also, any concerns about this timeline?

* Buy on Sunday 8/7
* Defrost in fridge
* Brine on Wednesday night 8/10
* Air Dry in fridge either Friday morning 8/12, and apply rub. Or Friday night 8/12.
* Set up charcoal Friday night 8/12, so it will be ready to start lighting 8/13. Make sure Flame Boss can still connect to Wi Fi the night before.
* Smoke starting ~ 8am 8/13.

I am also going to use this brine recipe, but about 1/2 of it, so it will fit in a 6 qt crock pot. If by chance it will fit in my 8 qt plastic container, then I will probably try for the full brine recipe.

"Apple Brine For Turkey" section.

Whole Foods that said they might have some 14lb - 18lb, but at $4 per lb., instead of $2 per lb. from the first store (Sprouts). I think it would be better to buy 2 from Sprouts, if I went that route, than one 18lb. at the higher rate.

I was able to buy a 14.39 lb. turkey. Better than 12 lb. Wish I could have gotten a little bigger, but oh well. Sprouts did tell me the wrong price per pound over the phone yesterday. It's not $2 per pound, it's actually $2.50.

Right now though, I don't have any container big enough to hold the turkey for brining. The crock pot isn't wide enough.

I have to find something in a retail store that I can buy within the next few days.

I have a 2 gallon, 8.5" x 8.5" plastic container with lid that I use for when I brine a chicken.

Will a turkey fit in it? If not, can someone recommend a container (with link) that I can brine a turkey in?

I have a 10-gallon cooler jug (like this one, but not exactly) that I use for brining turkey. I line it with a 13-gallon kitchen trash bag (clean & unused, of course - actually, I use two, just in case), drop the bird in, then add the brine ingredients. I usually fold the top of the bag over the sides of the cooler and use a bungee cord around to make sure it doesn't fall in. No, this won't fit into a fridge, but it's insulated, so if you add some ice to the mix (or, like me, you start with a frozen turkey), it'll stay nice and cold for at least 24 hours. Just to be sure, I use a remote probe thermometer (Maverick ET-732) to keep tabs on it; I place the probe down the side of the bag on the outside (between the bag and inside wall of the cooler). That's going to be the warmest part, so as long as that stays under 40 degrees, you're good to go.

Last edited:
Try Home Depot. I got a food grade 5 gallon bucket there a few years ago that I use every Thanksgiving for our turkey. They also had screw on lids for them. It is worth checking out.

Personally, I wouldn't use that type of container. The material of most of them are made of (in my experience) gets quite brittle when it gets cold. I think your best bet would be to get a medium-sized cooler and line it with an large plastic bag (I use 13-gallon kitchen trash bags since I have a ton on hand already). The beverage cooler I linked in my previous post would work, but if you're never going to need it for anything else, a regular cooler will work just as well. Size-wise, measure your turkey and get a cooler that will fit it with an inch or two of space around it.

Having cooked many turkeys, a 14 pound bird will not fully thaw in 2 or 3 days in the fridge, but that's OK. I thaw my turkeys right in the brine. If yours is partially thawed when you start brining, the part that's still frozen will keep the temps in the safe zone (assuming it's in an insulated vessel) and the brine will help accelerate the thaw. FWIW, I usually start with a 16-18 pound bird, frozen solid, and brine it for 3 days (again, in the beverage cooler). For Thanksgiving, I get it in the brine the Sunday afternoon before and take it out of the brine after dinner Wednesday. Sometimes, it's still not entirely thawed, but, again, that's OK. As long as it's thawed enough to get the bag of stuff (neck, giblets, etc.) out, it's good. Then, I pat it dry (inside & out and as much as possible under the skin without tearing it) and put it on a rack on a sheet pan in the fridge overnight to air dry. While the smoker comes up to temp, I stick some slices of butter under the skin, rub a little vegetable oil on the outside of the skin and sprinkle with kosher salt and fresh-cracked pepper. I don't use a traditional "BBQ" rub, but there's no reason you couldn't. Sometimes I get fancy and make a compound butter (butter, crushed sage, rosemary and a little celery salt) and rub that on instead of the oil & salt/pepper.

As for cooking, if you have a vertical roaster that will hold it, go for it. I haven't found one that I like (that will fit the size turkey I usually cook). Most of the ones sold for turkey will hold "up to an 8 pound turkey." I've never seen a turkey that small in the store.

I have a 10-gallon cooler jug (like this one, but not exactly) that I use for brining turkey. I line it with a 13-gallon kitchen trash bag (clean & unused, of course - actually, I use two, just in case), drop the bird in, then add the brine ingredients. I usually fold the top of the bag over the sides of the cooler and use a bungee cord around to make sure it doesn't fall in. No, this won't fit into a fridge, but it's insulated, so if you add some ice to the mix (or, like me, you start with a frozen turkey), it'll stay nice and cold for at least 24 hours. Just to be sure, I use a remote probe thermometer (Maverick ET-732) to keep tabs on it; I place the probe down the side of the bag on the outside (between the bag and inside wall of the cooler). That's going to be the warmest part, so as long as that stays under 40 degrees, you're good to go.

Try Home Depot. I got a food grade 5 gallon bucket there a few years ago that I use every Thanksgiving for our turkey. They also had screw on lids for them. It is worth checking out.

Ok, my choices are:

1) 60 qt. container 17x23x11 (LxWxH).

0TBjZg7.jpg

2) 5 gallon Home Depot Water Cooler (13.5 x 16 x 18.5)

AAMjfkk.jpg

With the Ziplock container, I'd lay it flat. With the Home Depot, it would be upright.

Thoughts between these? The Ziplock would fit in my fridge. With the Home Depot cooler, I will probably have to retract the retractable top shelf, and even after that, might have to do something else. If I can, I might have to remove the top shelf completely, but not sure right now if I can.

The other question is, will I have to double or triple the brine recipe, in order for it to be high enough to cover the turkey? (At least the apple juice, water, and salt proportions). That's a lot of apple juice, at least 3 58oz containers if I triple.

Here's the brine recipe from Virtual Weber Bullet.

++++++++++++++

Apple Brine For Turkey
2 quarts apple juice
1 pound brown sugar (light or dark)
1 cup Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt
3 quarts cold water
3 oranges, quartered[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif]4 ounces fresh ginger, unpeeled and thinly sliced
15 whole cloves
6 bay leaves
6 large garlic cloves, peeled and crushed[/FONT]
Substitute 3/4 cup Morton Kosher Salt or 1/2 cup table salt for Diamond Crystal.

Last edited:
Personally, I wouldn't use that type of container. The material of most of them are made of (in my experience) gets quite brittle when it gets cold. I think your best bet would be to get a medium-sized cooler and line it with an large plastic bag (I use 13-gallon kitchen trash bags since I have a ton on hand already). The beverage cooler I linked in my previous post would work, but if you're never going to need it for anything else, a regular cooler will work just as well. Size-wise, measure your turkey and get a cooler that will fit it with an inch or two of space around it.

Having cooked many turkeys, a 14 pound bird will not fully thaw in 2 or 3 days in the fridge, but that's OK. I thaw my turkeys right in the brine. If yours is partially thawed when you start brining, the part that's still frozen will keep the temps in the safe zone (assuming it's in an insulated vessel) and the brine will help accelerate the thaw. FWIW, I usually start with a 16-18 pound bird, frozen solid, and brine it for 3 days (again, in the beverage cooler). For Thanksgiving, I get it in the brine the Sunday afternoon before and take it out of the brine after dinner Wednesday. Sometimes, it's still not entirely thawed, but, again, that's OK. As long as it's thawed enough to get the bag of stuff (neck, giblets, etc.) out, it's good. Then, I pat it dry (inside & out and as much as possible under the skin without tearing it) and put it on a rack on a sheet pan in the fridge overnight to air dry. While the smoker comes up to temp, I stick some slices of butter under the skin, rub a little vegetable oil on the outside of the skin and sprinkle with kosher salt and fresh-cracked pepper. I don't use a traditional "BBQ" rub, but there's no reason you couldn't. Sometimes I get fancy and make a compound butter (butter, crushed sage, rosemary and a little celery salt) and rub that on instead of the oil & salt/pepper.

As for cooking, if you have a vertical roaster that will hold it, go for it. I haven't found one that I like (that will fit the size turkey I usually cook). Most of the ones sold for turkey will hold "up to an 8 pound turkey." I've never seen a turkey that small in the store.

Thanks. It's been a little more difficult trying to find the right size regular cooler, and still keep it cost effective. If you know a specific make/model, that would help. Just from my searching yesterday of various options, I didn't find one. But maybe I didn't search for the exact right terms.

So your recommendation is for the water cooler.

I think only concern I had was the height of the cooler (when combined with the depth). I have a small portion of the top shelf that's retractable. I will have to definitely retract that. If I can remove it completely, that would be best. But I will have to check if this is possible.

BTW, the turkey is about 15" high and 15" across from end to end, so I need a container with these two dimensions in two of the three dimensions. That's why the two that I posted above were some of the few possible ones.

Also, thanks for sharing your brining process. So, you think if I start brining even a little earlier (late Tuesday night / early Wednesday morning), it would still be ok.

What is it about the Ziplock material that you say will make it brittle when cold? Isn't it made of the same plastic that other food storage containers are made of?

Last edited:
How wide and high are the 16 - 18 lb. turkeys? I just want to make sure that if I get a bigger turkey in the future, that such a container will still fit them.

Thanks. It's been a little more difficult trying to find the right size regular cooler, and still keep it cost effective. If you know a specific make/model, that would help. Just from my searching yesterday of various options, I didn't find one. But maybe I didn't search for the exact right terms.

So your recommendation is for the water cooler.

I think only concern I had was the height of the cooler (when combined with the depth). I have a small portion of the top shelf that's retractable. I will have to definitely retract that. If I can remove it completely, that would be best. But I will have to check if this is possible.

BTW, the turkey is about 15" high and 15" across from end to end, so I need a container with these two dimensions in two of the three dimensions. That's why the two that I posted above were some of the few possible ones.

Also, thanks for sharing your brining process. So, you think if I start brining even a little earlier (late Tuesday night / early Wednesday morning), it would still be ok.

What is it about the Ziplock material that you say will make it brittle when cold? Isn't it made of the same plastic that other food storage containers are made of?

With an insulated cooler, it doesn't need to go into the fridge. Just park it in a relatively cool spot (that is, don't put it out in the sun) and it'll be fine. The 5 gallon cooler you found (assuming the dimensions will fit the turkey) will be fine. If you use large plastic bags (trash/garbage bags work fine and are cheap) to line it, they will minimize the amount of brine you need (you just need to cover the bird, not fill the entire cooler).

Again, if you don't think you'll ever need a 5 gallon drink cooler for anything else, and you have space in the fridge, go to Home Depot or Lowes and get a basic 5-gallon bucket. They're not "food grade plastic", but if you line it with a clean plastic trash bag, that doesn't matter. Put a bag in the bucket (maybe two, if you're paranoid about them leaking like I am), put the turkey in and pour in your brine.

Regardless of which you use, when there's enough brine to keep the bird submerged, twist up the top of the bag (like you'd close up a loaf of bread), fold it over and use a rubber band to keep it closed. Slap on the lid and park the container somewhere appropriate (again, if using a cooler, someplace shady, cool and out of the way; if using the bucket, put it in the fridge).

Starting the brine Wednesday should be fine. Just realize that between now and then, there may not be any noticeable thawing, but finishing the thaw in the brine is perfectly fine. By Friday afternoon/evening, it should be (nearly) completely thawed out when you take it out of the brine.

As for those storage containers, I don't know chemically what material they're made of. I just know that my son's Cub Scout pack had about 8 of them that were used to store cooking and camping equipment and we had to replace 6 of them last Spring because they'd cracked over the Winter.

I think you may be sweating the details a bit here. Relax. One thing I've learned about BBQ and cooking in general is that you need to be flexible in things like timelines. Have a target and aim for it, but realize that sometimes things won't work out and have a backup plan. We always plan to serve Thanksgiving dinner at 3:30, but I don't think we've ever actually started eating the main meal before 4:00. We have some cheese, crackers and veggies out for people to munch on. As long as they have something to eat, they won't be too upset.

With an insulated cooler, it doesn't need to go into the fridge. Just park it in a relatively cool spot (that is, don't put it out in the sun) and it'll be fine. The 5 gallon cooler you found (assuming the dimensions will fit the turkey) will be fine. If you use large plastic bags (trash/garbage bags work fine and are cheap) to line it, they will minimize the amount of brine you need (you just need to cover the bird, not fill the entire cooler).

Again, if you don't think you'll ever need a 5 gallon drink cooler for anything else, and you have space in the fridge, go to Home Depot or Lowes and get a basic 5-gallon bucket. They're not "food grade plastic", but if you line it with a clean plastic trash bag, that doesn't matter. Put a bag in the bucket (maybe two, if you're paranoid about them leaking like I am), put the turkey in and pour in your brine.

Regardless of which you use, when there's enough brine to keep the bird submerged, twist up the top of the bag (like you'd close up a loaf of bread), fold it over and use a rubber band to keep it closed. Slap on the lid and park the container somewhere appropriate (again, if using a cooler, someplace shady, cool and out of the way; if using the bucket, put it in the fridge).

Starting the brine Wednesday should be fine. Just realize that between now and then, there may not be any noticeable thawing, but finishing the thaw in the brine is perfectly fine. By Friday afternoon/evening, it should be (nearly) completely thawed out when you take it out of the brine.

As for those storage containers, I don't know chemically what material they're made of. I just know that my son's Cub Scout pack had about 8 of them that were used to store cooking and camping equipment and we had to replace 6 of them last Spring because they'd cracked over the Winter.

I think you may be sweating the details a bit here. Relax. One thing I've learned about BBQ and cooking in general is that you need to be flexible in things like timelines. Have a target and aim for it, but realize that sometimes things won't work out and have a backup plan. We always plan to serve Thanksgiving dinner at 3:30, but I don't think we've ever actually started eating the main meal before 4:00. We have some cheese, crackers and veggies out for people to munch on. As long as they have something to eat, they won't be too upset.

Yeah, the 5 gallon bucket with the trash bag closed isn't a bad idea.

When using an insulated cooler, can that really stay out in room temperature, for days?

Here's another cooler I saw:

Uo1mHoh.jpg

Even if I line the cooler with a trash bag, will the cooler still be able to be cleaned enough, to be able to use it in the future for other things? Or, does the smell persist? And that's why you're recommending that even though the cooler may look clean, that it's better not to use it for anything else?

Also, do you think I'll have to double or triple the brine recipe in post # 30 get it to cover the turkey?

Even if I line the cooler with a trash bag, will the cooler still be able to be cleaned enough, to be able to use it in the future for other things? Or, does the smell persist? And that's why you're recommending that even though the cooler may look clean, that it's better not to use it for anything else?

I double-bag it just in case the inner bag leaks. However, if it does (and it has), a good scrubbing with hot, soapy (anti-bacterial) water will clean it good as new. Worst-case scenario, a little bleach or sterilizing tablets will get rid of any potential contaminants. The cooler I brine my turkeys in is the same one I use for drinks at family parties; I just clean it really well after brining. My comment about "you won't need it for anything else" meant that if you had no other use for a great big drink cooler, a regular rectangular or square cooler would work just as well, probably be cheaper, and have more useful applications down the road. However, if you entertain even a couple times over the Summer, I think you'll end up using that beverage cooler for actual beverages. I usually fill mine up with ice water for family picnics - a LOT cheaper than buying a bunch of bottled water and keeping it cold.

And yes, assuming the bird is still somewhat frozen and/or you add a bag of ice to the top to keep it cool, it'll last several days. Just, like I said, keep it somewhere where it's not going to be subjected to direct sunlight or other heat sources. Also, it's a good idea to check the temp daily or use a remote probe thermometer to keep tabs on it. Should the temp go above 40 degrees, add more ice. Those drink coolers (at least the fully insulated - including the lid - models) will keep stuff cold for a long time when properly closed up.

You don't have to take my word on the whole "thaw in the brine" method...take it from Alton Brown:
http://lifehacker.com/brine-and-thaw-a-turkey-at-the-same-time-1744396379

I double-bag it just in case the inner bag leaks. However, if it does (and it has), a good scrubbing with hot, soapy (anti-bacterial) water will clean it good as new. Worst-case scenario, a little bleach or sterilizing tablets will get rid of any potential contaminants. The cooler I brine my turkeys in is the same one I use for drinks at family parties; I just clean it really well after brining. My comment about "you won't need it for anything else" meant that if you had no other use for a great big drink cooler, a regular rectangular or square cooler would work just as well, probably be cheaper, and have more useful applications down the road. However, if you entertain even a couple times over the Summer, I think you'll end up using that beverage cooler for actual beverages. I usually fill mine up with ice water for family picnics - a LOT cheaper than buying a bunch of bottled water and keeping it cold.

And yes, assuming the bird is still somewhat frozen and/or you add a bag of ice to the top to keep it cool, it'll last several days. Just, like I said, keep it somewhere where it's not going to be subjected to direct sunlight or other heat sources. Also, it's a good idea to check the temp daily or use a remote probe thermometer to keep tabs on it. Should the temp go above 40 degrees, add more ice. Those drink coolers (at least the fully insulated - including the lid - models) will keep stuff cold for a long time when properly closed up.

You don't have to take my word on the whole "thaw in the brine" method...take it from Alton Brown:
http://lifehacker.com/brine-and-thaw-a-turkey-at-the-same-time-1744396379

Thanks.

I have an existing drink serving cooler thing, so a regular rectangular one would be more useful.

Also, do you think I'll have to double or triple the brine recipe in post # 30 get it to cover the turkey?

Thoughts on this, ChadVKealey or others, in conjunction with using one of those coolers? I would only double/triple the water, apple juice, and salt amounts. I'd leave the orange/garlic/brown sugar ratio as is, just because. There's only so much time available, and amount of those items available.

Last edited:

I just checked the description of my roaster, you're right, it is up to 8 lbs.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00004UE87/tvwb-20

One reviewer said she did a 15 lb turkey. Another a 10 lb.

But, I will take the specifications into account. I will try it out, but if it doesn't look like it will fit/work, I'll smoke it horizontally on the top rack.

I ended up getting both a 5 gallon food grade bucket, with a gamma lid, and a 48 qt cooler.

I'd been wanting a plastic cooler for a few years now. I only had a Styrofoam one.

Right now, I like the idea of the bucket better.

Question, though. Would it take more brine to cover the turkey in the bucket, because the turkey is upright, then it would in a cooler with the turkey laying down?

Back