A Couple of pics from the first run on new Vortex

KellyM

TVWBB Member
I received my vortex from Owens BBQ this week and had to try it out. Bought a couple of packs of thighs and did a simple seasoning of Kicken Chicken and season salt. This was the best batch of thighs that have ever come off the performer. The skin was crisp and the chicken was very juicy. Cooking time was about 1 1/2 hours. I took only two pictures, but wanted to share with the forum.

Chicken on the grill.

One and half hours later - chicken done

Thanks for lookin.

Looks like a great cook. I have had a Vortex for some time and have not used it yet. Those thighs look like the perfect cook to do for a first time. With this indirect type approach, did you turn the thighs mid cook or is that not necessary? Want to try this.

Well, a vortex may well be on my birthday list. I have so much grilling equipment, I "probably need" one like a need a hole in the head but, hey, tools is tools!

Bob, I did not turn the thighs during the cook. All I did was turn the lid 45 degrees about every 30 min to change direction of the top vent. I read to on this forum to do that, but not sure if necessary.

KellyM;
Great lookin' bunch of chicken thighs. Looks like "Competition Winners" to me!

I took delivery of my new Vortex Medium and will be doing smoked pork chops tonight and chicken parts tomorrow on my Performer.

Thanks for sharing your great post.

keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Looks fantastic! Another believer. It really does cook dark meat chicken the best.

Chicken looks delicious Kelly. The skin looks nice and crisp. Another great vortex cook, and I'm getting this much closer to ordering one.

Back