A Butt Rub (for Jane)

Originally posted by Jane Cherry:
I have found that salting the meat and using an unsalted rub are always the way to go. Hence the reason I just cannot buy a prepared rub, it's impossible to go heavy on a rub without getting too much salt. Most prepared rubs do not even use good quality salt to begin with, so that metallic salt flavor always seems to come through.
Jane, I agree with one exception to the store bought rubs. The Texas BBQ rubs are very low in salt, and can be applied heavy if one desires to.
icon_wink.gif
This is the only store bought rub I will buy anymore, and use straight out of the bag. I still buy Head Country Rub, but use that in place of salt in many things, as it's a very salty rub, but does have good flavor.
icon_smile.gif

Well I was looking to whip up a batch of this for this weekend but I could not find the hot NM chile's. Instead I have found the mild only. If i use that what could I use to add a little more heat. I have Guajillo, Pasilla on hand as well as Chipotle and Cayenne powders. I can also get De Arbol chile's if I really need them.

I came across this rub recipe and am excited to try it. One thing I'm not so sure on is how much salt to apply to the meat before applying the rub.

I'm a rookie at BBQing and didn't want to salt the meat too much so is there a specific amount of salt you apply?

TIA

For butts, I salt fairly heavily - certainly not covered - let's say a 'generous' sprinkling. If you are unsure, err on the side of caution and go a bit lighter. One can always add more post cook. Once the pork is pulled, chopped, or whatever, much of the bark gets blended in (though I like bark-y nuggets that are left alone).

Sidenote: As noted here and in other threads, I always salt first, then apply the rub over the salt. For thinner cuts, like ribs, e.g., I salt as if the meat was served to me already cooked but unsalted, i.e., the amount I would normally use in that situation.

Originally posted by K Kruger:
Jane Cherry wanted to try a different butt rub for Smoke Day, so I suggested this:
1/2 c light or dark Muscovado sugar or Turbinado
1/4 c Ancho chili powder
1/2 c hot New Mexico chili powder
1/3 c onion powder
1/3 c garlic powder
1/4 c dried thyme
2 T marjoram
1 T ground coriander
1 T ground cumin
1T ground black pepper
2 t allspice
2 t cinnamon
2 t celery seed
2 t ginger
Blend everything.
Kevin... can I skip the marjoram or should I get some? Also, How far does this recipe go? 1 butt, 2 butts?
I'm planning on Qing 2 9lbers Wednesday night and have everything blended but the marjoram
and only 1 batch of this rub.
Thanks!

Well, yes, you could skip it. I think it adds enough that I wouldn't, myself, but not the end of the world if you decide to forgo it.

IIrc it handled 3 or 4 butts generously.

Kevin, I appreciate the VERY quick response, I WILL replace my empty jar of marjoram since I do have time before this cook.
Thanks again, I look forward to this now....
icon_biggrin.gif

Just wanted to thank Kevin for this rub... excellent taste and its something my wife actually doesn't mind me adding to just about anything pork.

Like others, I was nervous about salting the meat first (too much too little). But after a couple runs, I found I actually use a lot less salt then if I added to the rub... and I prefer it this way.

You may have converted me salting the meat first.

Kevin,
Is your kinda carolina a good sauce to use with this rub on some pulled pork? That is my plan and I don't imagine that it would turn out bad.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

So Kevin (or others that have used this rub) This rub has been around for a few years now. Have you tweaked it or changed it at all??

Tommorow is my first try at this rub as the NM Chile powder jsut arrived and itthe local big grocery chain has non enhanced Butts for .99/lb. and I'll pick up a couple and take a swing at this.

Just wondering if its stayed true to form or if your vision for it has changed in the years since you first shared it with us??

Well, I wrote this for Jane as a go-to rub. She still makes it as written as far as I know.

Me, I pretty much never make the same rub twice. I make whatever rub for whatever I'm going to smoke, grill or roast and in just enough quantity for the one cook. I tend to decide what I'm making right after I salt the meat and start the lit for a Minion.

Hope you like it.

Originally posted by K Kruger:
1/2 c light or dark Muscovado sugar or Turbinado
1/4 c Ancho chili powder
1/2 c hot New Mexico chili powder
1/3 c onion powder
1/3 c garlic powder
1/4 c dried thyme
2 T marjoram
1 T ground coriander
1 T ground cumin
1T ground black pepper
2 t allspice
2 t cinnamon
2 t celery seed
2 t ginger

Is the capitol T table spoon and the little t tea spoon?

When I did my cook the weekend before last I got up & made this rub @ 4:20 am - I omitted the sugar (forgot), for the peppers I ground up ~5 whole guajillo peppers, substituted chinese 5 spice instead of allspice.

I put it on my fried eggs this morning. I'm baking some fries in the oven right now with it on them. I'm seriously considering putting this in a salt shaker & keeping it out all the time.

If you haven't tried this rub stop waiting - it's GOOOOOOOOOOD.

This rub looks so good I'm going to try it this weekend. I was only able to obtain 8 oz packaged dried whole peppers at a local Mexican Market (I could not find powdered locally). How do I prepare these to put in the rub?

Thanks!

Back