A Butt Rub (for Jane)

I don't have Ancho chili powder or the New Mexico powder. Can I just use regular chili powder?

Plan on doing a butt this weekend.
Hey Bud, call me, before you come over. I have plenty of both on hand. As a matter of fact, I have 5lbs. 0f Ancho heading my way from Sweet Freedom farms.

Regular chile powder is usually a blend with other spices. When buying chile in powder form, I look for a specific chile variety, as in NM, Ancho, guajillo or chipotle. This ensures you are getting the powder form of the specific chile. The others usually have cumin, oregano or garlic added.

Originally posted by Jane Cherry:
Regular chile powder is usually a blend with other spices. When buying chile in powder form, I look for a specific chile variety, as in NM, Ancho, guajillo or chipotle. This ensures you are getting the powder form of the specific chile. The others usually have cumin, oregano or garlic added.
Also, sometimes there's a spelling difference...chile powder (there may be a specific varietal listed on the label; chipotle, ancho, etc.) is powdered chile(s) and chili powder being the powder with which one makes chili-con-carne.

So, as Jane said, one really can't substitute for the other. However, you can use a mix of hot and mild paprika to kinda/sorta approximate.

Just a thought.

Just mixed up the rub and applied it to the pork butt. Smells awesome and tastes fantastic! Can't wait to get it going tomorrow morning.

Bryan- once again thanks for your help and the chile peppers, bbq seasoning, and mustard you hooked me up with. It's greatly appreciated!

Jane and JM...thanks for your input.
icon_smile.gif

Kevin - want to try your rub, but have to sub the New Mexico Chili Powder, I have ancho, pasilla, chipotle, and several other chilli opportunities either in the cabinet or available local - just looking for the best sub. Haven't had NM's so don't know what you were going for?

Looks like I may be able to get some, but when I look at Hatch, NM, Mild Red I see hu of wide ranges (1000 to 10000). I.E., hatch new mexico, anaheim, california, mild red.

I'm going for full chile flavor with good heat in this case. Got guajillo and cascabel? Sub with a 50-50 mix. Chipotle would not be appropriate here because of the smoky flavor but the heat would be right.

An upper range Scoville would be right, but you can certainly go less hot if you'd like.

Originally posted by r benash:
Kevin - want to try your rub, but have to sub the New Mexico Chili Powder, I have ancho, pasilla, chipotle, and several other chilli opportunities either in the cabinet or available local - just looking for the best sub. Haven't had NM's so don't know what you were going for?

Looks like I may be able to get some, but when I look at Hatch, NM, Mild Red I see hu of wide ranges (1000 to 10000). I.E., hatch new mexico, anaheim, california, mild red.

Nope Adriana's closed down in Ardmore Market
icon_frown.gif
I only have pasilla, ancho. Guajillo I can get local. No cascabels about or NM.

Looks like I might have to wait for next time and order some NM. Shame - throwing on two 8lb butts tomorrow for a part Saturday and wanted to try this rub.

Might make a run down to the terminal market in Philly tomorrow, they may just have it. They have a decent selection of dried chilis at a stand there.

I'm sure Kevin will respond. But in the meantime I am currently in the process of mixing up a recipe with the Guajillo substitution. It's all mixed except for the G's which I am off to get now, dry them out a bit more in the oven and then grind.

So far - I would say this is more than double what I need for two 7 lb bone in butts. Even more after adding the 1/2 C up Guajillo is my guess.

Originally posted by K Kruger:
Just go with straight guajillo or guajillo with a little cayenne. It'll be just fine.

OK - so of course there's follow-up
icon_smile.gif

Whole Guajillos, these look really nice and are still a little soft. From Gilroy, CA. Going to dry them out a little more. Assuming the seeds would be ground with the flesh depending on how hot you want it . These smell really nice. I would normally grind it all, but some participants can't take heat real well, so going to grind the flesh and seeds seperately and maybe use half of the ground seeds.

4 1.5 oz bags yielded 4plus oz of flesh and about 2plus oz of seed. Drying them a bit more first in the oven then going to grind them.

It's the placenta (the moist inner ribs the seeds are attached to) that holds capsaicin, the pepper's heat source. Seeds don't, though they can pick up capsaicin due to their proximity to it. If you taste the seeds you'l know whether the pepperd you have have hot seeds or not.

The recipe should be fine for 3, 7- or 8-pound, bone-in butts.

Yep we'll taste the seeds and judge. Guajillos - are gone. I ruined them. Found some New Mexico to replace them, so that's the good news. All cleaned and being tossed in the pan to dry them out just a little and bring out the flavor.

For the record for those that are a bit of a newbie at using dried peppers (like me). I have used them many times but only in pastes, etc. previous. For dry work I usually have a variety ground and vac sealed that I get for places like Da Gift Basket or Spice House, etc. I'm very much sold on grinding my own now - for what are probably obvious reasons.

Usually reconstituting, chopping up and throwing in along with the liquid, then stick blending later during the process.

For dry grinding - toss in a pan to dry them out a little and bring out the volatiles/roast, etc. I ruined a nice load of Guajillos thinking I could do it on a sheet in the oven - NG I burned them very quickly. Course cutting, and tossing in a pan on low heat up on top was the ticket.

6 oz of dried NM chilies gave me a little over 4 oz of dried flesh and about 1.5 oz of seed. I mixed in 1/4 of the seeds with the ground dried flesh.

I have just under a cup of ground chili left and the remaining seeds which I'm going to vac seal ASAP. I can grind and mix seeds in as I go when I use the powder later. So 6 0z. of whole dried NM chilies gave me 1.5 cups of ground powder once I removed stems and caps, with 1.4 of the seeds ground and mixed in.

The recipe once done yielded about 2.5 cups of rub.

If one wanted to add salt to this rub - for example to use it for bbq nuts, what proportions would you recommend....say 0.5 t per T of prepared leftover rub???

Don't know what Q approach you're using for the nuts but I'd use the same rub approach: salt first (to taste, in this case), then add the rub.

Thanks Kevin, makes sense to just follow the basic theory...

BTW, I made PP with this rub and it was fantastic. I got some hot NM red chili powder (Da gift basket), made some red chili sauce the day before for some quick tacos to try out the powder and it was {HOT}...I was concerned that the bark would be too spicy, but it was not at all...does heat mellow on long cooks (this case 11 hour over-nighter)??

Usually, yes, especially if renderings are not contained. The compound responsible for chiles' heat, capsaicin, is fat soluble.

I like this recipe for a number of reasons. One is that it will accept modifications readily if you stay on theme. I have enough rub left over for another cook or two. But you could always add to change it as long as you make small moves.

I have to say that I used this recipe heavy in that I applied a good dusting on both of the butts about 5 or 6 hours before the cook (I did not salt). In the morning I pulled them out of the fridge, salted, let sit as I lit the minion brigquettes. They still sweated nicely by the time I threw on the briquettes to start the fire. I dusted heavily again.

Nice bark. I pulled liquid for the finishing sauce by foiling for one hour after 165 degrees, then back on out of foil until done.

Very nice. Served with traditional Caroline Red and Bastardized Piedmont Sauace in our recipe section.

Next time - I could eve go heavier on the rub and also make it hotter by including more groud NM seeds and/or letting the first application of rub sit longer in the fridge.

I have found that salting the meat and using an unsalted rub are always the way to go. Hence the reason I just cannot buy a prepared rub, it's impossible to go heavy on a rub without getting too much salt. Most prepared rubs do not even use good quality salt to begin with, so that metallic salt flavor always seems to come through. I only use Diamond Crystal Kosher, and it's a finer, lighter salt than Morton Kosher and your taste buds get used to it.

Back