2015 Performer, possible photo shoot grill, scored locally in Chicago

Greg-S

TVWBB Fan
http://s182.photobucket.com/user/gregs1020/library/2015 Performer?sort=3&page=1

that's just shy of 50 pics in the bucket for your review.

if there is something you want to see that i missed, post up your question and i'll do my best.

the finish seems thicker than my 2014 copper OTG. the 2014 seems like it's barely got enough paint to cover the kettle, this one looks like a thicker paintjob.

20140919_185230_zpstsyex24w.jpg

20140919_185843_zpsq7vxvsm4.jpg

20140919_185623_zpsadyru6ac.jpg

20140919_190628_zpsvfcf1h3u.jpg

20140919_190147_zpsqyarc9q3.jpg

20140919_190118_zpsdxc5znn6.jpg

it was an odd purchase, no pic in the craigslist posting, vague description, but i emailed the guy to get more info.

glad i did.

20140919_190054_zps8w8mijig.jpg

overspray? someone said this was common on the previous versions of this model.

20140919_185511_zpslaw7ndto.jpg

anyway, check out the photobucket file at the top. glad to field any questions.

Nice score. Thanks for all the pictures to. The lid holder is obviously bigger based on your pictures. You said you have a 2014 model, does it look like the 15 model lid holder will line up with your 14 model. Would love to add the larger lid holder to my performer.

Cool! A performer is on my wish list... hope Santa is watching.

I gotta ask... is there a hook inside the lid? I realize it has the "lid catcher" as you show in the pix, but seems like having the flexibility of having the hook to hang the lid on the side might be usefull from time to time...

Just wondering.

-Tom in SoCal

What is the table made of?
hey erik,
metal, pretty thick gage too. it seems real sturdy.
Nice score. Thanks for all the pictures to. The lid holder is obviously bigger based on your pictures. You said you have a 2014 model, does it look like the 15 model lid holder will line up with your 14 model. Would love to add the larger lid holder to my performer.
hello dustin, you are welcome.
my '14 is an OTG and not a Performer, but i do have an older MT. i can measure the mounting screw positions tonight and let you know but at a glance they do appear to be in about the same spot. my guess is the new bailer will fit older kettles with the old bailer as a direct bolt on replacement. but i'll check and let you know. i am a fan of the new wider bailer.

Cool! A performer is on my wish list... hope Santa is watching.

I gotta ask... is there a hook inside the lid? I realize it has the "lid catcher" as you show in the pix, but seems like having the flexibility of having the hook to hang the lid on the side might be usefull from time to time...

Just wondering.

-Tom in SoCal
hi tom,
i don't think it does. but with the bailer around the side there really isn't a place to hang it on the side of the kettle. table on once side, bailer on the other. i'll check though to be sure and let you know.

thanks for the comments guys, glad to help out.

20140919_185324_zpslgrjijbk.jpg

20140919_185241_zpsmnjvslso.jpg

Great score! The bailer is larger. Let's the lid stand up vertically. That's different from the 2014 in that with the tighter bailer the lid on the 2014 stays open at an angle towards the grates.

The catch for the ash pan is very different as well. Looks like the handle just springs into the catch?

How Munch did you pay for it? It is a black grill that was pained copper, I hope the color doesn't start to flake!
not all that munch. ;)

i'm told the other performers (earlier model, similar but with the plastic tables) also have some overspray in this area. it's the same color as my '14 OTG but the '14 isn't as well covered. it's a thinner coating of paint on that one. i don't think this was repainted.

The catch for the ash pan is very different as well. Looks like the handle just springs into the catch?
it has two tabs towards the rear, one on each side, you slide those in and lift up locking the front facing handle in the catch. honestly, i prefer the older twist style.

it could be i'm just used to the older one, but with this one i seem to miss the rear right tab so it almost falls out. i've done this a few times and my opinion is, i think i like the older twist style. the outward bevel on the catch is nice though for sure.

side views.
20140919_185754_zpsgpub1rpw.jpg

20140919_185722_zpsl1cdjhvm.jpg

front view with the locking handle catch set up.
20140919_190118_zpsdxc5znn6.jpg

also sorry for the dirty pics, i haven't had a chance to clean her up yet. i'm rehabbing an old blue 22 and an old red MT presently.

How Munch did you pay for it? It is a black grill that was pained copper, I hope the color doesn't start to flake!

All the colored kettles start out black and then get a coat of color.

Greg-S,
You got this used on Craigslist!? Who buys a brand new grill and uses it once and sells it? I am assuming you got it for less than the $400 retail price.
I'm glad they changed the lid holder bail, and am anxious to test out the new ash bucket retention system.

All the colored kettles start out black and then get a coat of color.

Greg-S,
You got this used on Craigslist!? Who buys a brand new grill and uses it once and sells it? I am assuming you got it for less than the $400 retail price.
I'm glad they changed the lid holder bail, and am anxious to test out the new ash bucket retention system.

i don't think the seller bought it. i think they got it after a photo shoot for 2015 marketing materials. it's been used slightly, but the grates are new (no fold up sides on the cooking grate). so i assume the seller swapped those out before flogging it on craigslist.

i work in trade shows and have for a long time. in our end of the spectrum. it's very similar in a lot of ways if this was an item used at a promo shoot. we often see promo items that haven't hit the market get given away after an event for a few reasons.
1 - it' isn't exactly what will hit the market, more of a "prototype". for instance, this kettle has an AH code, which is 2014 model designation, but clearly doesn't resemble the '14 models. also i have to confirm the tires to be plastic and not rubber as is stated in the marketing info in germany on this model.
2 - it's used and there is no original packing, warranty card, etc etc.
3 - this kettle's lid has an imperfection. each time it's imaged in the shoot pics it's good side is facing the camera.

basically, it served it's purpose for the company and is given to someone at the shoot so it doesn't have to go back, get cleaned and re-boxed. weber would have no real use for this one unless it were to be at a trade show for example. but even then, it would have to be completely cleaned. it's easier for weber to just send a new one to the trade show than have to clean and re-box this one.

all speculation, but it is about the only thing that makes any sense.

here is the photo shoot i'm referring to. it's pictured close to the end sitting in the background on a couple pics.
http://www.anotherpintplease.com/2014/07/guerrilla-grilling-weber-shoot.html

imperfection on lid.
20140919_190230_zps4eq59tvj.jpg

20140919_190323_zpsc7f3auve.jpg

the imperfect is under the finish. as if it were ding'd before being painted copper and the copper didn't stick to the outward dent.

all just a theory and i'm a tin foil hat kinda guy from way back, but it does make sense and explain how next years model that's not available yet, showed up on my craigslist in a no-pic ad with a very vague description.

and no, i didn't pay anywhere near $400 for it. the original listing was for $180 and i cried poor but i'll pick it up today if you can take $--- for it. a little more pleading and it was mine for literally a song. the seller just wanted it gone.

Last edited:
I wonder if the table is the same material as the performer silver. A lot of guys on here felt it was a little flimsy and cheap. But the big question is: Is it better than having the plastic ones?

I wonder if the table is the same material as the performer silver. A lot of guys on here felt it was a little flimsy and cheap. But the big question is: Is it better than having the plastic ones?
i honestly don't know what the silver has. this a thick gage metal, whatever metal it is and seems very sturdy.

With the lid bale being bigger and sticking out farther I wonder if the cover will fit or is Weber making a larger cover. Mine is fairly tight right now. I like the idea of upgrading my old performer to the new lid bale but not if I have to get a new cover.

With the lid bale being bigger and sticking out farther I wonder if the cover will fit or is Weber making a larger cover. Mine is fairly tight right now. I like the idea of upgrading my old performer to the new lid bale but not if I have to get a new cover.

wow that never occurred to me. i just ordered a cover on clearance from C&B so i'll let you know if it fits. good call.

Yea looks like the 2015 performer silver has the new style lid bale and the covers for the 2014 are being shown as a discontinue. So I'm thinking they might have a new larger cover coming.

The covers for the Performers fit so snugly that they would have to introduce a new cover for this one. Hopefully, the new ones will be just a bit looser.

Back