1st smoke on my new 14.5, Applewood smoked butt

Scott Zee

TVWBB Fan
Started with a 10lb butt slathered with Plochmans yellow mustard and rubbed with my homemade 17th St. Magic Dust. Butt hung out in the fridge for about 15 hrs before bringing to room temp

Set up the mini and side table and the Maverick 732 and fired it up with 3 chunks of applewood

Brought it up to temp and put the butt on at about midnight. I work overnights so up all night is normal for me, lol

Daybreak in northern Illinois. Doesn't get much better than this

Butt looking really good at the 8hr. mark

At about 11:30 I hit my target internal temp

And the butt looked AWESOME

Pulled and had a GREAT 1st meal off the little guy, PP Sammy with appleslaw, applewood smoked bacon baked beans and tortellini salad. Can't forget the fine Wisconsin brew to wash it down.

Drink a little drink, Smoke a little smoke

Last edited:
Wonderful job on that Butt. Weber would be proud of that maiden voyage. You have a wonder view there at your place. Are you near a lake or hillside?

thx everyone. Tom, it is my first smoke on my mini but I have done a cpl on my Simpsons OTG but I have to say this one turned out so much better. Before now I really never used any sort of temp gauge. Only did the butts indirect on the kettle. Tomorrow morning I'm doing a cpl pork tenderloins and a fattie for breakfast. Pics to follow. Loins are in the fridge enjoying their rubdown. Cliff, I actually back up to a corn field directly north and the pic was taken facing east, towards the Fox River Valley

Drink a little drink, Smoke a little smoke :wsm:

Last edited:
Good lookin cookin right there. I'll never forget the first time I had slaw on a BBQ sandwich. It was in VA in 1981. The lady asked if I'd like slaw. I said sure. I had NO IDEA she meant on the sandwich. I thought she meant on the side. LOL Still don't put slaw on my BBQ sandwiches. LOL Still a great lookin cook. To each his own.

Nice PP Scott! I like slaw on my PP too! I have the 22.5"wsm and the 18.5"wsm. Keep thinking that I should get the 14.5"wsm to complete the set.

Back