18" Kettle rescue

Timothy Hoffman

TVWBB All-Star
As some of you may know I live in a trailer park that adjoins with a seasonal camp ground. One of the services we share is dumpsters for our garbage and recycles.
Last August my wife found us a like new Genesis Silver A gasser next to the dumpsters. Well, today I take garbage up and upon opening the lid I see the bowl of an 18" kettle with only one leg attached. I reached in and pulled it out expecting it to be totally rotted out. Nope, it was solid and all leg sockets are firm! Under a pile of half spent charcoal and ash I recovered the grates. They are not the best but they are also consumables in the Weber world. Next up I found the lid. I was already excited because the bowl had 2 wooden handles. The lid was in pretty good shape with only a small bit of rash. Date code F, 1984! A bit more digging and I found the other two legs, wheels and triangle under a very smelly bag of garbage. (Dirty diapers??) :p
Any way, I brought it all home and put it together, the only thing missing is the ash pan. Here it is in all its dirty glory. A 4th of July weekend project for sure!

LBjmSc6.jpg

8Iot5Rx.jpg

nBhQzDR.jpg

ypd8VYD.jpg

That is a great find. I know you will be showing it a lot of love. Why someone would put it in a dumpster I will never understand. At least put it intact next to it so it can find a new home. Enjoy that beauty.

Back