Beef Jerky and Bourbon Barrel Porter

Dwain Pannell

TVWBB Hall of Fame
I brined some strips of Beef Bottom Round overnight in a brine recipe I got from a retired Surveyor that he got from the Mo Conservationist magazine about 35 or 40 yrs ago. (Thanks Bob)

I used Royal Oak and a chunk of Peach @ 150*F for 5 hrs.

I also brewed a Porter

And there you have it

SWMBO said it's not only the best jerky I've ever made, it's the best she's ever eaten! I must say, it is good! (Thanks again Bob)

I'll add the oak cubes soaked in Maker's 46 in a couple weeks.

Last edited:
Homemade beer and jerky, it doesn't get any better than that!
How was the jerky Dwain? I know the Porter will be good!

Outstanding Dwain. I've got Bob's jerky recipe bookmarked but haven't got to it yet. Porter is my beer of choice. I'd like to learn how to make it some day. Great job.

Looks Most Excellent Dwain! Man... I Can Taste That Jerky Now!!
Wish I Could Drink Bourbon tho'... :(

Nicely done Dwain, the Porter sounds excellent, what alcohol content do you shoot for?

It'll probably be in the neighborhood of 7% ABV. It's chugging away right now but I won't tap it until around Thanksgiving.

I am drinking a Weizenbock now which is about 6.5% and have an Imperial Red Ale on deck that's about 9%.

NIce Jerky Dwain! Can I order 5 lbs. for Deer camp?

How about I talk you thru it? LOL

Last edited:
Beer and Jerky look great. I did a Bourbon Dubbel last winter that didn't last long. My have to try the porter this year.

Dwain I'm really impressed by your jerky but more so by your brewing skill,s nice set up and skills to go with it!

Okay, I need this Jerky recipe you guys speak of! My last two batches been plain and a little over done. Okay Dwain, I have super man envy right now. Im a super beer snob and been avoiding getting into brewing due to not wanting to commit to another O.C.D. hobby. Nice work

Okay, I need this Jerky recipe you guys speak of! My last two batches been plain and a little over done.
Here's the recipe Todd, spice it up as much as you like.
A Little Chief electric type smoker makes great jerky, and smoked fish,
but a hot plate in the bottom of a bullet and a pan of wood chips works well too.
Of course it's more fun trying to keep the temp low with charcoal.
I've found that 100 to 120F is best for slowly drying and not cooking jerky.

DSCF1067.JPG

Outstanding Dwain. I've got Bob's jerky recipe bookmarked but haven't got to it yet. Porter is my beer of choice. I'd like to learn how to make it some day. Great job.

....porters & stouts are arguably inseparable or ....hard to distinguish anyway. Dwain has a killer setup, but he's more ambitious than me.... I brew (or have brewed) 15+ batches from kits (I forget the term right now). Going all-grain or partial-mash or brew-in-a-bag are all much more involved....you can brew a kit like this (very good) in around 2 hours... https://www.boomchugalug.com/product/i-eat-danger-for-breakfast-stout/ I really like this one. It's easy, good, etc...drop on in at your homebrew store and you'll be ready to go for under a couple hundred bucks (but you'll spend more).

Here's the recipe Todd, spice it up as much as you like.
A Little Chief electric type smoker makes great jerky, and smoked fish,
but a hot plate in the bottom of a bullet and a pan of wood chips works well too.
Of course it's more fun trying to keep the temp low with charcoal.
I've found that 100 to 120F is best for slowly drying and not cooking jerky.

DSCF1067.JPG

I'll be trying this. ...."soak at least 1 hour"..... I always seem to soak overnight - no reason that'd be too long with this... I've never followed a recipe though...just something my dad & uncles used to do (soy sauce, pepper, hot sauce, whatever else we felt like).

Back