Beef Jerky and Bourbon Barrel Porter

Nice post Dwain.
Will be leaving in a month to go elk hunting in NM. Hope that I get one so we can have jerky this winter.
T

Here's the recipe Todd, spice it up as much as you like.
A Little Chief electric type smoker makes great jerky, and smoked fish,
but a hot plate in the bottom of a bullet and a pan of wood chips works well too.
Of course it's more fun trying to keep the temp low with charcoal.
I've found that 100 to 120F is best for slowly drying and not cooking jerky.

DSCF1067.JPG

Thanks Bob for the recipe. Will be trying this out this winter. Provided that I get a elk

I have never eaten as mutch Jerky in my life as i did on our Cali trip! I MUST try this. Yours looks like money!

Dwain,

Q and Brew......it doesn't get any better than that!! I'm extract brewing now with the intent to go all grain within a year (once the wife ok's the equipment list). Great set-up.........wanted to make jerky too and now I have a great recipe to go off. Thanks for the post!

Tim

Dwain,

Q and Brew......it doesn't get any better than that!! I'm extract brewing now with the intent to go all grain within a year (once the wife ok's the equipment list). Great set-up.........wanted to make jerky too and now I have a great recipe to go off. Thanks for the post!

Tim

Tim,

The only thing I added when I moved from extract to all grain is the mash tun, a measuring stick, and a high temp drain hose. Everything else is the same.

I use a Coleman Extreme cooler with a valve and bazooka tube, a dowel rod with notches cut at the gallon marks, and a piece of silicone hose. All in all less than 50 bucks. I loose less than 1 degree in a 1 hour mash. Cheap and easy batch sparge.

Making wort is easy, waiting for the yeast to turn it into beer is the hard part.

Last edited:
Tim,

The only thing I added when I moved from extract to all grain is the mash tun, a measuring stick, and a high temp drain hose. Everything else is the same.

I use a Coleman Extreme cooler with a valve and bazooka tube, a dowel rod with notches cut at the gallon marks, and a piece of silicone hose. All in all less than 50 bucks. I loose less than 1 degree in a 1 hour mash. Cheap and easy batch sparge.

Making wort is easy, waiting for the yeast to turn it into beer is the hard part.

I'm well aware about the hard part of brewing......waiting! I have 4 batches of extract under my belt and my Oktoberfest has been laagering for almost 2 months...it looks SO good :) Thanks for the info about the equipment. I just need to make that mash tun and try to watch someone actually brewing all grain to get a visual on the steps. Can't wait to get it going.

Tim

Back