Yakatori Bonanza

Bill Schultz

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Thanks to my new best friend James Lake I found the complimentary chicken dish to go with my Korean Bulgogi. After seeing the ingredient list and his beautiful cook and compounded by the Grill Master of LA. I knew I found it. Did some research and this is my version. Done for my daughters 23 birthday today. A little Sake sampling during the cook, just to make sure it was good you know.

For 3.5 lbs of skinless boneless thighs.
6tbsp Soy, 6tbsp Mirin, 6tbsp Sake - added 1tbsp fresh ginger minced and the same for garlic. This is the marinade. I ended up adding a little more of the wet ingredients in proportion to mostly cover the chicken. In the fridge and turned twice over about two hours.

DSC_1561_zps285bef96.jpg

DSC_1562_zpsd2492e42.jpg

Half cup each of Mirin and Soy along with 2tbsp of Sake and 1tbsp each of garlic and ginger minced and 3tbsp sugar on the stove top brought to a boil and then slow simmer to it reduces to a thicker sauce. Flavor was incredible. Toasted some Sesame seeds to dress the dish.

DSC_1564_zps2cdf26e6.jpg

Found out one of the traditional recipes calls for slices of scallion and radish on the skewer between the pieces of chicken. That is what I did.

DSC_1565_zps960c0a7a.jpg

Tonight Brew of choice, Kirin and the kebobs on the Hibachi with my custom angle iron skewer holders.

DSC_1566_zps7f479b60.jpg

On the table with some nice Jasmine Rice with some soy and Sriracha and a nice salad, your plate. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
Thanks James

DSC_1569_zps3c563c62.jpg

Last edited:
Is it Yakatori season or something?, Bill that looks great, have to give that recipe a try,

and Happy Birthday to your 23 year old Daughter, she probably is a good cook already watching Dad do his thing on the Q.

Happy birthday to your daughter Bill.

Nice work Bill the plated looks delicious.

Excellent looking cook!!!! When I was stationed in Japan I tried a few brands of their beer and within minutes I would get a head splitting headache. Never tried Japanese beer here. Sake on the other hand I can drink just fine:D

Looks awesome!I remember the beer machines in Japan, you could get a 64 oz Kirin, it would make a hell of a rumble dropping out of the machine.

Great cook Bill. And I also like the Kirin Ichiban. My fav Japanese restaurant has it on draft and it is outstanding.
Ray

Great looking Yakatori Bill!! A perfect dish for your Hibachi!! Plated picture is, well - picture perfect!!

Bill....WOW! You nailed that cook, and I am HONORED to be considered a friend of yours. This has been so YAKIN-tori crazy. I actually got the idea from GEORGE L when I saw his picture from a previous thread. I did my research and gave it my best effort however YOU and TONY R (AKA GRILL MASTER OF LA) elevated this cook to a much greater level. This is what I really enjoy with this site, without everyone here I would never have heard of let alone try some of these amazing cooks. I have added so many different flavor profiles to dinner because of what I see here, and I can tell you that my family and I appreciate all of the new cooks on the dinner table.

Thanks all, and James I think we all just did versions with our own Style, just as the resurrected post from Mildo which is gorgeous. Great site and friends. I enjoy it here very much because everyone contributes so much.

Your Yakitori seems to be perfect, Bill. Love it.
I use almost identical recipe for the marinade, so I dare say that it had to taste great. Thanks for the compliment too, dude;)

Back