My CL Summit Gold Score!

Chad Bman

TVWBB All-Star
Updated post in thread

Literally, this was a score. Can't beat the asking price of FREE! They said the burners don't work and didn't know if it would be worth the price to have it fixed. The tubes are fine, just need a cleaning. The igniter doesn't work as is, but that's quick & easy even if I gotta purchase one. Came with the rotisserie that's never.been.used... I plugged it in and it runs perfectly. Awesome... Will get this baby cleaned/restored as my winter project. :D

5EF8C21B-C009-4599-844E-77B73F832C62-4136-0000028198BE0F28_zpsb547a0c5.jpg

3D7C7199-3C80-4AE7-84AC-4B47EF0FC2A4-4136-00000281A1653E26_zps2b290741.jpg

Last edited:
Great deal! (of course, you already knew that)
What year is it? How do those light? Does each knob have a clicker thingy or ?

I know it will clean up nice. I like the way they were built back then. It looks like an overgrown deluxe version of my 2006 Genesis.
I have a 2007 Summit S650 that looks much sleeker but is not built nearly as well.

It amazes me someone would throw away something like that. Unless it was located in Beverly Hills or someplace like that.

That’s the D model, the top dog and very expensive in it’s day.

Do you know what year it is? I’m guessing 04 or 05.

Good luck with the resto, I’m sure it will come out great.

Thanks fellas. Yeah, I'm still grinning ear-to-ear. Later on last night, I asked wifey if she had been in the garage yet. She said no, why? Did you get another grill??? I didn't even have to answer that question as my smile gave away the answer. She went to grab a soda (garage fridge) and came back in and said "that thing's huge, and it was free?" I took that as her approval... :D

It's a DT model, so 2003. It has a single electric igniter module which runs off of an AA battery. That module branches out to spark 6 different locations. 3 for the main burners (burners are grouped in pairs with a short crossover tube), 1 for the rotisserie burner, 1 for the smoker box, and 1 for the side burner. As of right now, with a fresh battery, it doesn't work. I'll see if I can clean up the contacts and get it working. Otherwise, the entire kit is 50 bucks and might be worth it just to be done since there's so many parts.
http://www.grillparts.com/weber/summit_Gold.asp?product_id=42326
Complete ignitor kit with all components as shown for Summit Gold D/D6.
Includes spark boxes with various length wires, 6-output spark generator, push button, connecting wires, battery and tie wraps.

42326.jpg

Thanks fellas. Yeah, I'm still grinning ear-to-ear. Later on last night, I asked wifey if she had been in the garage yet. She said no, why? Did you get another grill??? I didn't even have to answer that question as my smile gave away the answer. She went to grab a soda (garage fridge) and came back in and said "that thing's huge, and it was free?" I took that as her approval... :D

It's a DT model, so 2003. It has a single electric igniter module which runs off of an AA battery. That module branches out to spark 6 different locations. 3 for the main burners (burners are grouped in pairs with a short crossover tube), 1 for the rotisserie burner, 1 for the smoker box, and 1 for the side burner. As of right now, with a fresh battery, it doesn't work. I'll see if I can clean up the contacts and get it working. Otherwise, the entire kit is 50 bucks and might be worth it just to be done since there's so many parts.
http://www.grillparts.com/weber/summit_Gold.asp?product_id=42326

42326.jpg

Keep us up to date on this rebuild a great find and project I would love to have one of these grills big cooking area, roti and a browning burner, large work space and a side burner to boot. you are living under the right star.
Kevin

Figured I'd update the thread with what transpired with this gem of a score. Once I told a buddy of mine of my score, he kinda laid claims to the grill once it was restored. Even with that, it took longer than I expected before I got going on this task. One good thing I did --- ordered all the parts just as Mother Weber hiked all of their prices. I was able to source most everything I needed before all the retailers followed suit.

First things first - tear it down for a good cleaning.

D0FB6C79-BA98-4D01-95FC-3BD8E46FA924.jpg

Most of the frame is leaning against the outfeed table (out of sight of the photo) But the disassembly & cleaning task went pretty easy.
BCE30153-C619-4CCB-800C-870C7F1B9F77.jpg

I opted for the entire ignition kit replacement
34735785-27E0-4D9F-B975-8055B15206C2.jpg

7 new burner tubes, new ignition kit, and new bottom panel installed.
1AC56B2F-958A-4ABF-842B-146C0FDEED52.jpg

Also found a new infrared burner on ebay, so I added that too.
252EBE60-077C-44C1-84B5-9BCBB0559843.jpg

THIS, is some BTU's
89A2DA0D-1820-4A41-9350-45B8C65A384F.jpg

With the new flavorizer bars installed, you see the smoker box burner tube.
935DE086-C49C-467B-90C1-C093B6959D1A.jpg

As designed, this is the smoker box sitting above the burner tube with the new RCPLANEBUYER cooking grates
6E7C8FFC-40D2-488A-AF3D-2051BA222452.jpg

Only we took it a step further. I asked rcplanebuyer to make me another flavorizer bar for the smoker tube
A01FB281-F551-4128-B8C5-EC573735BDD9.jpg

And a cooking grate to match. This way, the entire surface can be used for grilling.
6E55F502-4AD1-47A4-A811-E088E04E86EE.jpg

And here is the finished product ready to roll. It's now living it's new life in Ocean City, MD enjoying the easy life.
EA6D61E0-0442-491A-9A16-585153732D03.jpg

From the ground up, here's what I replaced.

Casters
Bottom shelf
Right side swing up table
Front burner control knobs
Lid thermometer (not in this photo)
Ignition system
Gas lines
Infrared burner
Burner tubes
Flavorizer grates
Cooking grates (ordered these customized from rcplanebuyer)
Warming rack
Swing up basket

All in all, I put ~$665 into this restore. But that's because the buddy of mine who laid claims to it wanted it to be in like-new working condition and trouble free for years to come. He'd rather spend the money now than deal with the repairs later on. So, I was given a green light to "make it happen" lol It was a fun project and he was thrilled to get a $2,600ish grill for $665

Thanks for looking.

beautiful picture of the restore, wow, congrats.

here's a 6 burner summit of possibly similar vintage on CL in Detroit area, wonder if it's worth it ( does not mention a rotisserie)

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/app/4567547596.html

Bill, you'd really need to get a good look at it. If it's in perfect condition, the price might seem high but yeah, it's worth it compared to what a new 6 burner Weber would cost you. You just have to know going in though that the prices on parts are ridiculous. If Chad tried to do that restore now, his costs would have been much much higher.

For example, the ignition kit is $70. Flavorizer bars are close to $200. To replace all 7 burner tubes is over $100.

Back