Your advice on retro vs new gen Weber gas grill

Chris-NV

TVWBB Fan
Hello all!

I've been the original owner of a 2000 Genisis Gold C 3 burner and never really liked the multi tier table system and the control knobs gettingin the way. AND, the lid neess to be replaced. On a whim, I looked on FB Market place and found a 2000's 6 burner and this month's old 3 burner. I dig the idea of renovating an old "classic." See pics.

Questions:
1 - Is this 6 burner worthy?
2 - How is the 6 vs 3 in real life grilling? Is it harder/less efficient to cook smaller meals? I typically cook for 3 - 6 people max.
3 - Are the recent next generations that much better?

Thanks for your input!
Chris

Attachments

• 20220628_163101.jpg
    20220628_163101.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 41
  • 20220628_163141.jpg
    20220628_163141.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 45
  • Screenshot_20220702-120223_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20220702-120223_Facebook.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 47
  • Screenshot_20220702-130642_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20220702-130642_Facebook.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 47
Welcome Chris,

I'm sure you'll get many opinions. The six burner is a summit, and I don't know much about them so I can't answer the first or second question with any first hand experience. I have read some of the summits are getting hard to find parts for and some of the cook boxes burn through, but I don't know if that model falls into that group or not.

The $600 grill is a fairly new Genesis II 325 with a sear burner. It looks very clean and almost brand new. If they didn't register it, you can probably register it on weber's site for the warranty.

I've never cooked on the Genesis II models, but I have a 2016 Genesis E330 with the sear burner and it is great. Mine has a side burner and I use it for a wok, or to light a chimney of coal.

I found the one in Verdi on FBM. if you get it, note that the grates are installed upside down. I'm not sure I'd spend $600 on it. It might sell for near that. I'd probably insult them by offering $400 but that's about all I would pay. I like the indigo blue.

Also, on the broken lid end-cap for your gold. Any lid from any Genesis x000 1985 through 2005 should fit. I'd keep an eye on CL and FBM for a free Silver or Gold and swap the end caps on with your green lid. The handle will likely be different but IMO the gold grills like yours look really sharp with the matching green side tables.

I guess one last comment... There is often debate between side control (east-west) burners and front-control (north-south) burners.

I have both. I prefer my E330 (NS + sear) for quick cooks at higher temps. I prefer my Genesis 1000 ( EW ) for rotisserie cooks. If you have space you might want to hang on to your Genesis Gold, fix the lid and then you can have a great east-west grill no matter what else you end up getting.

No one here will tell you having more than one grill is a bad thing.

I like the new one if that’s the only choice.

Unless it is in perfect condition, The 6 burner summit is not much bigger and hard to restore.

The newer one is better looking.

Welcome Chris,

I'm sure you'll get many opinions. The six burner is a summit, and I don't know much about them so I can't answer the first or second question with any first hand experience. I have read some of the summits are getting hard to find parts for and some of the cook boxes burn through, but I don't know if that model falls into that group or not.

The $600 grill is a fairly new Genesis II 325 with a sear burner. It looks very clean and almost brand new. If they didn't register it, you can probably register it on weber's site for the warranty.

I've never cooked on the Genesis II models, but I have a 2016 Genesis E330 with the sear burner and it is great. Mine has a side burner and I use it for a wok, or to light a chimney of coal.

I found the one in Verdi on FBM. if you get it, note that the grates are installed upside down. I'm not sure I'd spend $600 on it. It might sell for near that. I'd probably insult them by offering $400 but that's about all I would pay. I like the indigo blue.

Thank you so much for taking the time for this in depth response Dan! Cheers and have a fantastic holiday weekend!

I like the new one if that’s the only choice.

Unless it is in perfect condition, The 6 burner summit is not much bigger and hard to restore.

The newer one is better looking.
LOL... I can always hold on to my original. In fact I have a new lid coming from Weber. Just not sure if the new and improved is really "improved" if you get me.

Last edited:
Hello all!

I've been the original owner of a 2000 Genisis Gold C 3 burner and never really liked the multi tier table system and the control knobs gettingin the way. AND, the lid neess to be replaced. On a whim, I looked on FB Market place and found a 2000's 6 burner and this month's old 3 burner. I dig the idea of renovating an old "classic." See pics.

Questions:
1 - Is this 6 burner worthy?
2 - How is the 6 vs 3 in real life grilling? Is it harder/less efficient to cook smaller meals? I typically cook for 3 - 6 people max.
3 - Are the recent next generations that much better?

Thanks for your input!
Chris
I have an 05 Summit Platinum D6, buying it is akin to buying a pig in a poke. My Summit is not my primary or even secondary grill, it’s a fully functional conversation piece. I enjoyed restoring it, and enjoy having it and will use it occasionally. I would go with a grill that has parts and the advice to repair available.

IMO the new style grills shouldn't even be called "Genesis" as there is nothing "new" or "different" (well other than the outrageous prices). The word "Genesis" indicates a "fresh" start. Something new and different. The original was definitely "new and different". Revolutionary even. Got no need for dropping that kind of coin on something no different than what everything else is

I have an 05 Summit Platinum D6, buying it is akin to buying a pig in a poke. My Summit is not my primary or even secondary grill, it’s a fully functional conversation piece. I enjoyed restoring it, and enjoy having it and will use it occasionally. I would go with a grill that has parts and the advice to repair available.
Thanks Billl... sucks to know at some point the engineeed obsolescence will claim all of these.

IMO the new style grills shouldn't even be called "Genesis" as there is nothing "new" or "different" (well other than the outrageous prices). The word "Genesis" indicates a "fresh" start. Something new and different. The original was definitely "new and different". Revolutionary even. Got no need for dropping that kind of coin on something no different than what everything else is
I went to Lowes/Home Depot today to "touch" the new versions and all I could see was the many more ways these are going to need attention in a few short years. Hell yes, they're nice and have a ton more convenience features... but, not enough that I'd only be willing to p/u brand new.

Last edited:
I guess one last comment... There is often debate between side control (east-west) burners and front-control (north-south) burners.

I have both. I prefer my E330 (NS + sear) for quick cooks at higher temps. I prefer my Genesis 1000 ( EW ) for rotisserie cooks. If you have space you might want to hang on to your Genesis Gold, fix the lid and then you can have a great east-west grill no matter what else you end up getting.

No one here will tell you having more than one grill is a bad thing.
I was wondering how the NS compared to what I thought the EW allowed for better indirect cooking temperature and convection.

LOVE it... I'm into biking (mtn/road bicycle) and the phrase is "N+1" is always in the conversation.

I am a relatively inexperienced griller.

In case it helps you, we just replaced a propane Genesis 3000 LX with a natural gas 2022 Genesis SP-E-335. You are right, the new Weber grills are not built to the same quality standards as the old ones. Our primary reason for buying a new grill was switching from propane to natural gas. In addition, I wanted the new burner zone arrangement with wider (9 inch) heat zones in the left, center, and right. The old Genesis had narrow heat zone "strips" across the front, middle, and back. Those zones were less than 6 inches wide.

The 2022 Genesis also includes an extra "sear burner" between the center and right burners, which we have not tried yet.

Our new grill cooks much better than the old grill, but I do not know why. The food turns out better, and I am overcooking it less. It may be the special 9 mm (heavy) stainless grates that came with our model. It may be that the knobs seem to have more precision and a finer "feel" for adjustment. It could also be other changes to the design that may have affected heat distribution. It could be recent learning from this website since we bought the new grill. It could be random luck. I do not have a clue about it, at least not yet.

Last edited:

Back