Yet another camping discussion - Q, go anywhere, SJ / JJ

Once a year we go camping with a bunch of folks from our neighborhood on campsites (park 20 feet away), but the sites are only maybe 30-40 feet apart. IE everything is pretty tucked in together. This means when lighting charcoal it's going to smoke some folks out. Trying to decide whether to buy a smokey / jumbo joe or bring the q1200 or gas go anywhere. There are campfires, but still.

We usually don't do a lot of true cooking. I typically bring some already cooked ribs and reheat them, and do hot dogs and burgers

WWYD?

For once a year and if you already have the Q1200 I would just take it instead of buying something else. Especially if you are just reheating and cooking dogs and burgers. If I was buying a coal burner, I would get the charcoal-go-anywhere as it is more versatile as you can do two zone cooks. If you cut the cooking grate you can lay it in the bottom and pack a lot of stuff inside as well. Unless you need the space of the jumbo Joe that is. Just my suggestions! 🙂

I agree with Richard. If it's a 1-2/year deal just bring the Q with you. I've gotten pretty lucky and have bought 3 Go Anywhere grills for $15 each this year. 2 gas and 1 charcoal. I mainly bought them because they all had nice wooden Weber handles on them, but still cool little grills. I gave one of the gas ones to a buddy.
I've read the design of the newer gas Go Anywhere isn't as good as the older ones because it lacks a flavor bar type system.
So maybe plan to use the Q, but keep an eye out for a decent Go Anywhere on the Marketplace

I agree with Richard. If it's a 1-2/year deal just bring the Q with you. I've gotten pretty lucky and have bought 3 Go Anywhere grills for $15 each this year. 2 gas and 1 charcoal. I mainly bought them because they all had nice wooden Weber handles on them, but still cool little grills. I gave one of the gas ones to a buddy.
I've read the design of the newer gas Go Anywhere isn't as good as the older ones because it lacks a flavor bar type system.
So maybe plan to use the Q, but keep an eye out for a decent Go Anywhere on the Marketplace

Thanks guys. I actually have a gas go anywhere (older, better style). I'm thinking I might just snag a charcoal GAW from ace and bring it along with the Q. If circumstances are where I want to chill out fire up some coals, great. If not, it takes up so little space it can just stay in the car.

Thanks guys. I actually have a gas go anywhere (older, better style). I'm thinking I might just snag a charcoal GAW from ace and bring it along with the Q. If circumstances are where I want to chill out fire up some coals, great. If not, it takes up so little space it can just stay in the car.
Well if you get the charcoal Go Anywhere, you need to watch this video. After watching you'll want to order the GrillGrates (which you can swap over to your gas GA too) and all the other cool stuff this guy has setup

Back