WSM Pizza Question

Wayne_R

TVWBB All-Star
I am thinking of doing a pizza ala Baking in WSM Ref. article

My only question is I don't have a BGE grid extender/lifter. Do you think using old beer cans cut to the correct length would work with a pizza stone? That is, putting the normal top grate on, using 3 or 4 cans cut to about 3-4" in length and putting stone directly on top of cans.

Is there a possibility of the stone breaking because the cans get too hot? I wouldn't think so because in article it is on a metal bge grid? Or because of no center support, it could crack/collapse?

I would use pie pan as said in article to deflect heat.

Any thoughts or experiences from pizza cooks would be appreciated.

I just cook direct on the grate - usually in a kettle but I've used the WSM; no stone - but I don't see why it wouldn't work just fine. Unless you are using an especially thin stone (or put it in cold) it shouldn't be a problem.

I don't move the coals higher, though, btw. I just don't use a pan at all.

What you want is even heat, above and below the pie. You should be ok with the bottom if you use a wsm because of the distance between the stone and the fire. If you use a kettle, you want the coals in a ring around the stone(not under it) so it's doesn't overheat. Getting heat from above it far trickier. It sounds like you are trying to get the pie up into the lid where it'll get some reflected heat, which is good. I actually like to work with two stones with a couple of inches between them, and I try to get them to the same temp. Don't expect any magic, using the wsm though. Under ideal conditions, it'll be like baking in a medium oven.

Kevin's suggestion of cooking on the grate is really good if you are going for a grilled pizza effect (as opposed to oven baked). We toss unadorned dough on a direct fire for a couple of min, flip it to an idirect side of the grill, slop on sauce cheese, and cook until done.

I'm not sure what the benefit of using the WSM would be over just a hot oven. Pizza fares better at 500+ degrees in my experience, and my fully-assembled WSM doesn't get that hot. Maybe you could use the "little black egg" setup where you remove the middle section and just have a grate resting on the charcoal ring and your stone on that grate or elevated a bit from it.

Post pics anyway!

I get what u mean, but in baking cooking topics You move coal up higher and get the guy going full bore and reach 500+. We'll see what happens and I will post pics.

Wish me luck
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm not sure what the benefit of using the WSM would be over just a hot oven </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Woodfired, smoked pizza has a better taste. You can taste the difference. It is however more work.

This thread is clearly about using the WSM for pizza, but I'll stick this in anyway. I agree that wood smoke is a big plus. But I cook the pizza with my stone in my Weber Genesis and put the wood chunks down on the flame tamers. The pizza has always come out great.

Obviously not possible if you don't have a gas or charcoal grill, but something to consider.

Rich

I have had good luck with some pecan wood. When I used a stone I followed the instructions that said to let the stone come up to temperature slowly as the grill heats to avoid the temperature shock that cold break some stones. Also to let the stone cool on the grill.

Mike

Well i said the same as some ppl here,that pizza could not be done in the wsm with good resaults...Why? TO low temp!

But i tryed it and it worked great! I used a medium thick pizza for this and it took longer then normal,But it was cooked all the way thru.(not doughy like it can be if made thick on HH)

Link if you are interested: Pizza On The WSM

Crust was Great,Toppings got there share of the heat. And no wood but over lump it tasted great!

Try it!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wayne_R:
I'm planning on using K charcoal. What kind of wood you suggest to add to? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Assuming your're doing basically "Italian" style pizza (good flavor, spicy), almost any wood should work. I use oak as a standard. I don't know hickory (yet) and I personally would avoid mesquite as I don't know it well enough to be confident yet (very strong).

Rich

Back