WSM not getting hot enough

The last two times I fired it up, the WSM didn't get above 250. The last time I thought it was due to extremely high winds. This time however, the winds are fairly calm. It's about 55 degrees, I have all the vents open, and the door is propped open a tad. Any thoughts?

If you were reading from the lid thermometer it could be showing a temp lower than what you've actually got. K. Kruger, a regular on the forums, says he only temps with a thermometer in the top vent and I have started doing the same. Have seen temps at the vent 50 degrees higher than the Weber lid therm shows.

One thing I've learned when smoking in my WSM 22.5 is to always put at least 1/2 ring of unlit on the grate then spread my lit on top of the unlit. Called the Minion Method.

Wish you much success

Scotty W.

Scotty W.

Joshua - Are you trying to grill or smoke? Think you might be using to little charcoal to get the temps that you want. Most of us cook most of the time on a WSM in a range from 225 - 275. If you want a higher temperature or a grill affect try cooking with the door completely off and all vents fully open but be careful to watch your temperature. If you're smoking, go for the 225 - 275 temp range and a longer cooking time. Practice and patience do not make perfect but they make good barbecue!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scotty W.:
If you were reading from the lid thermometer it could be showing a temp lower than what you've actually got. K. Kruger, a regular on the forums, says he only temps with a thermometer in the top vent and I have started doing the same. Have seen temps at the vent 50 degrees higher than the Weber lid therm shows.

One thing I've learned when smoking in my WSM 22.5 is to always put at least 1/2 ring of unlit on the grate then spread my lit on top of the unlit. Called the Minion Method.

Wish you much success

Scotty W.

Scotty W. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, I agree.
Put a pc of duck tape over that lid mounted therm and just consider that a hood ornament.
icon_wink.gif

Get yourself a thermo that you can mount in the vent, and your temps will be much more reasonable as far as whats actually going on in you're WSM IMO.

If you want higher temps like 300-350 than for sure ditch the heat sink (water) and use an empty foiled pan.

Tim

Back