WSK smoke level temp adjustments...

DanHoo

TVWBB Olympian
I started a smoke and it settled in at 225 which was fine as I needed to make a trip to the store. Came home about an hour later and it was about 220 F. It's all good.

But I want 275F and don't want to overshoot.

I haven't had to do just a small bump before so I am just winging it, but I thought I'd ask the more experienced crew for suggestions.

To get the temp up I opened the top wide open, not flip up turbo open, just all holes open but the temp wasn't coming up so I opened the bottom vent a bit, then a bit more. Temp came up slowly at first then overshot a little past 280

Closed the top to a sliver, and moved the bottom back to the mark where P portion of the vent is open.

Opened the top a bit and it's sort of settling in.

On my BGE all my adjustments below 300F I can control from the bottom with the top mostly closed. But the WSK seemed to need more to get a temp increase. Maybe I was just impatient kicking up the heat?

What do you all do to boost the temp 50 degrees or so?

Bottom vent to boost temp. Top dial to stabilize when in range. If you have a water pan in the WSK you’re going to need more bottom open to overcome the water absorbing heat.

This advice comes from my overnight briskets. They’re always 240-255° for 6-7 hours overnight.

Back