Wireless Stoker w/ Dlink pocket router (Config help needed)

ThaddeusJ

New Stoker user here. Runs fine on the network plugged into my router.

Want to run it wireless thru the home network and run stoker log via either the desktop or my wireless notebook.

I have a Dlink DWL-G730AP pocket router / access point. Main router is a netgear wgt624.

As you can assume by this post, I'm struggling to get it (the Stoker) running wirelessly.

The dlink runs fine as a client hooked to my laptop if I set it up that way. Much faster actually than the built in unit.

With the Stoker, I tried configuring it as a client with no luck and switching/configuring it to an access point with no luck. My router does not see it.

I've searched many posts here, and tried a bunch of things. Got to the point that I screwed up the main router and had to reboot it, and reconfigure it. Everything is fine now.

Suggestions/Ideas?

I just ordered the Stoker and hope to do a setup much like what you're going after. My understanding is that you need a network bridge to hook your stoker up to your home network. Is your Dlink pocket router classified as a network bridge?

Well, after much trial and effort, it works.

Switched it to client and reconfigured it. I reset the stoker to dynamic addressing, and the router hooked it up. Took the assigned address, aligned it to the mac address in the router config page, then switched the stoker to static using that address.

Now it has a static IP address that I can save in favorites and save with stoker log.

Lifes good.........

Thaddeus, I also have a DWL-G730AP pocket router that is already configured as a client and will communicate with my existing home network.

Do I understand you correctly that once the D-Link is communicating the worst is over and the remaining settings are made in Stoker?

Thanks

Scotty,

Make sure the stoker is in dynamic IP address mode (see manual). Plug the stoker into the dlink and start both up.

You need to be logged into your main router while doing this. I got the thing running using the stoker in Dynamic IP addressing. You will see in the router menu that the d-link is now online in the router menu that shows attached devises. You should see your main PC and the stoker listed. Now, go check the IP address in your stoker box menu that was generated. Type that IP address in your PC web browser, and the stoker control page should come up on the browser. If it did, your now in business. You can use the stoker and control it, but you will have to go thru these steps the next time you use the stoker, unless you do the next part because a new IP address will be generated since the stoker is in dynamic IP addressing mode.

Now to set it up for static addressing. This allows you to have a set address for every time you use it. That address can then be saved in your browser favorites so every time you boot up the dlink/stoker, it will find it.

Go back to your main router menu to the attach devises list and write down the mac address shown for the stoker that is connected. If your main PC is the only thing running along with the stoker on your network, you should only see 2 devices attached, the PC and the stoker. You then need to align or match the stoker mac address to the dynamic IP address you used to log into the stoker on your browser. For me, it was found under LAN IP Setup in the main router menu, and there was a section called address reservation. Reserve the web IP address to the mac address.

Once you see that these are aligned, go into the stoker box menu, and switch it out of dynamic addressing to static with the currently running IP address. Directions are in the stoker manual.

Now when you start up the dlink/stoker combo, the main router will see the stoker mac address, it will use the static address aligned by you under address reservation in the router menu, and then see the static address in the stoker and make the connection.

Another note. Having it setup in static mode will allow you to do the port forwarding stuff to allow access/control from an out of network PC if you are interested in controlling the stoker from a work PC, or neighbors PC. I have not done this. Yet.

Back