Windows 8.1

Dan Francis

TVWBB Fan
Used HM 4.0 for first time since upgrading from Win 8 to 8.1. Found that both Firefox and Chrome will not receive updates from HM. With both Firefox and Chrome the initial HM screen will come up with current data but that is all I get, it stays frozen with that screen. IE 11 works fine and updates normally. I know this is not a HM problem, just want to know if anyone else has experienced this and if they found a setting fix or something. I have checked and updated Firefox and Chrome to latest versions. Thanks, Dan

Thanks. Probably a setting on my computer, worked fine under 8.0. I think I will uninstall/reinstall and see if that helps. Dan

Edit: Uninstall/reinstall no help. Run as Admin no help either. Maybe someone else who does have this happen can figure out what setting is causing this. Meanwhile I'm still in business with IE11. Thanks.

Last edited:
Bryan, maybe if you see this you will know what's going on. Here are the log errors when I access via Chrome or Firefox.

Dec 1 23:39:10 OpenWrt user.err lucid[736]: Error sending data to 192.168.1.75: 32
Dec 1 23:39:20 OpenWrt user.err lucid[744]: Error sending data to 192.168.1.75: 32
Dec 1 23:46:40 OpenWrt user.err lucid[1818]: Error sending data to 192.168.1.75: 32
Dec 1 23:46:50 OpenWrt user.err lucid[1824]: Error sending data to 192.168.1.75: 32
Dec 1 23:48:47 OpenWrt user.err lucid[1975]: Error sending data to 192.168.1.75: 32
Dec 1 23:48:50 OpenWrt user.err lucid[1982]: Error sending data to 192.168.1.75: 32
Dec 1 23:49:50 OpenWrt user.err lucid[2144]: Error sending data to 192.168.1.75: 32
Dec 1 23:50:00 OpenWrt user.err lucid[2160]: Error sending data to 192.168.1.75: 32
Dec 1 23:50:05 OpenWrt user.err lucid[2173]: Error sending data to 192.168.1.75: 32

What is strange is that my Heatermeter is actually 192.168.1.79:80 I have scoured all the config pages and have no idea where 192.168.1.75:32 is coming from. These errors are not generated when using IE11 and all works fine on IE. I deleted my wireless and reconfigured but the same thing happens. Then 192.168.1.79 is assigned via DHCP. Thanks. Dan

No idea why it wouldn't work. I use 8.1 on one of my machines along with chrome and IE so I know it works there. Maybe the F12 screen in chrome will give you a better indication what is going on. Switch the the Network tab and reload the page, looking for errors.

The difference probably has something to do with server-sent events. If the browser supports them (Firefox and Chrome do) then the javascript will try and use them. There might be something about your configuration that makes the JSON LinkMeter streams back unparsable by the browser maybe?

Last edited:
Did as you suggested. Showed two items with errors of 404 Not Found of type text/plain. I think I will wait and hope a Windows or Browser update will someday fix what's screwed up with my computer. Thanks for your efforts!

404 means you are visiting the wrong link or something that doesn't exist. Either your bookmark got borked or your HeaterMeter is not serving up files that should exist. Fix that.

If the errors are for .map files, that's ok (because that's just the chrome debugger looking for extra information). Are there any javascript errors shown on the bottom right edge of the window as a little red indicator next to the settings gear icon?

It is unlikely any browser or windows update will fix your issue, because there's nothing wrong with the browser or windows. There's something specific to your situation.

Last edited:
If the errors are for .map files, that's ok (because that's just the chrome debugger looking for extra information). Are there any javascript errors shown on the bottom right edge of the window as a little red indicator next to the settings gear icon?

It is unlikely any browser or windows update will fix your issue, because there's nothing wrong with the browser or windows. There's something specific to your situation.

There is 1 error and 1 warning:

GET http://hmpi2/bb_lastvisit=138595261...0d823c35d0a51ff51.cloudfront.net (CloudFront) 404 (Not Found) luci:4
event.returnValue is deprecated. Please use the standard event.preventDefault() instead. jquery-1.9.1.min.js:3

First line is the error, second the warning. Thanks.

Are you using some sort of VPN or proxy for connectivity to the Internet? I ask because there's no reason why CloudFront should be part of your URL to your HeaterMeter.

No VPN or Proxy, at least not that I know of :) I will disable everything I can find and see if that helps. I also ordered a new antivirus/firewall as my McAfee is expired soon but I guess with what is being said that won't help. Thanks for all the suggestions! Dan

Thanks to all the suggestions and insights received problem solved! It was Malware on my computer. Downloaded and ran Malwarebytes and deleted everything it came up with and now chrome works. So much for McAfee keeping crap off my computer! Thanks again.

Back