Will this work on an 18.5 Silver?

~Mark~

TVWBB Pro
I saw this in a link, and was wondering if anyone has done this on their 18.5 Silver.
8a47c548.jpg

What a perfect way to make my Pirate Baked Beans. If it works I'll be using that 18.5 for all my dutch oven cooks.

Mark,

I don't see why it wouldn't work but I think you have to use "fire bricks" as regular bricks will possibly "explode". I don't know where to find them though.

I might be able to get a few fire bricks. Thanks for the heads up. Last thing I need is a grenade under a big pot of baked beans.

If they are not fire bricks. They will break. Im not sure if you are trying to use the kettle as a dutch oven? Or using it to cook with a dutch oven? Cooking with dutch oven in a traditional way is skill all guy's need to learn. You can just run your grill up to desired temp and slam the oven on the grate indirect and get the same results as trying what the pic shows. Or learn the art of dutch cooking.

Most baking recipes require a temperature setting of 325ºF. An easy method to get a temperature of 325ºFahrenheit within your Dutch oven is to subtract or add the number 3 to the size of your Dutch oven to determine the number of charcoal briquettes to use underneath and on top. Find the size of the Dutch oven you use (see chart below) to know the correct number of briquettes.

Dutch Oven 325° Temperature — Briquette Quantities
Size of Oven Top Bottom
8-inch 11 5
10-inch 13 7
12-inch 15 9
14-inch 17 11
16-inch 19 13

The following example uses the formula for a 12-inch Dutch oven.

* Subtract 3 from 12, which equals 9 — the number of briquettes to place beneath the oven.
* Take the number 12 and add 3, which equals 15 — the number of briquettes to place on the lid of the oven.

With this formula, 9 briquettes go underneath and 15 briquettes are placed on the top of the lid of a 12-inch Dutch oven to cook at 325ºF. One-third of the heat will be underneath the Dutch oven, and two-thirds of the heat will be on top. Heat rises, so you do not need as many coals on the bottom of the oven.

Arrange briquettes so they are evenly spaced under the Dutch oven and on its lid. Also, you always need to rotate your Dutch oven a quarter turn every 15 minutes to avoid hot spots. Replace briquettes with new coals as they burn out.

Dutch-oven-cooking-on-top-of-flat-rock-sm_zps4cfe0755.jpg

dutchovenbasic4_zpsbb4bbf78.jpg

I've had a hard time finding fire bricks for some reason, so I take regular bricks and wrap them in foil, hoping to deflect the heat some.....I DON'T RECOMMEND THIS!

I got 3 fire bricks from a friend, and yep, this setup is much to big for the 18. I'm going to try and just use 2 bricks under the pot, and no lid on the kettle. I'll post some pictures of my try later on today.

Mark,

I don't see why it wouldn't work but I think you have to use "fire bricks" as regular bricks will possibly "explode". I don't know where to find them though.

Tractor supply Co seems to be a good choice as they sell singles so you only pay for what you need ( about 2 bucks each)

Back