WiFi Extender messing with WiFi Connection

Scott Krasnigor

Testing out my newly built Heatmeter 4.0 and ran into issues with setting up the WiFi. Was finally able to get it working when I disabled the wifi extender. I came across a post mentioning to blank out the BSID field for the wifi connection in order to allow the heatmeter to use different access points that have the same SSID and passkey. However, once I enable the extender, turn on the heatmeter, the wifi does not obtain it's ip address. I disable the extender and the heatmeter obtains the ip address. Just curious if anyone has run into this same issue or has any ideas to resolve this. Thanks.

Last edited:
I changed the channel width on the extender from Automatic to 20MHz and heatmeter is happy. As an FYI I am using TP-Link WA850RE Range Extender.

It seems the rtl8192cu driver isn't fully bug-free (or feature complete). I've had issues where sometimes my router has been reset and the wifi doesn't reconnect. My router is set to Auto 20/40 too and it works ok, but there might be something else technical happening when the extender comes into play.

There's a newer driver, but I haven't had a chance to try it out yet because it doesn't work right out of the box.

For what it's worth, I have another Pi running official Raspbian (which uses wext instead of nl80211 to talk to the wifi) and it also exhibits the same behavior. Glad you got it worked out.

Back