Whodunit Barbecue Sauce

Joan

TVWBB Hall of Fame
While researching what book to use next, I came across this recipe I copied out of one of Raichlens books. Not only did I find a great sounding BBQ sauce recipe, but I found a new series of books I just might start reading. Here is what Raichlen has to say about both.

"How much would the recipe for the perfect barbecue sauce be worth to you? Enough to kill for? Passions run pretty high in competition barbecue and that's what happens to one fictional Kansas City sauce meister, Pigpen Hopkins, in Lou Jane Temple's Revenge of the Barbecue Queens. Temple is a Kansas City mystery writer and her whodunit is the best study I know of the strange and colorful world of competition barbecue. The following recipe has been adapted from the rich apple cider, mustard,, coffee and beer barbecue sauce that one barbecue fiend found tasty enough to murder for."

Whodunit Barbecue Sauce

2 cups apple cider
1 bottle (12 oz) dark beer
1 1/4 cups ketchup
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup honey mustard
1/2 cup yellow mustard
1/2 cup grainy Meaux-style mustard
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup molasses
1/2 cup cane syrup, such as Stein's
1/2 cup brewed coffee
2 TB. Worcestershire sauce
2 TB. Tabasco sauce
2 TB. soy sauce
1 tsp. celery salt
1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. ground coriander
1 habanero chili, seeded and minced
Coarse salt (kosher or sea) to taste

Combine all the ingredients in a large, heavy, nonreactive saucepan and stir or whisk to mix. Bring the sauce to simmer over medium heat. Continue simmering, uncovered, until thick and richly flavored, about 30 minutes, stirring from time to time. Use right away or transfer to jars, cover, cool to room temperature and refrigerate. The sauce will keep for several months. Makes about 9 cups

Source: "Barbecue Bible Sauces, Rubs and Marinades" - Steven Raichlen

Back