What's the deal with Red?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris E

TVWBB Pro
I see what looks like a OTG red kettle on craigs list. Ad says it is heavy duty but all webers are heavy compared to other junk grills.

Is it just a rare color? Or are the red ones different.

Let me know cuz I don't know if I want to drip $60 for a OTG when there are a lot of OTsilvers around for half that.

thanks

thats a red mastertouch with wood handles. i'd grab it for that price. assuming its in good shape. one its red, two its wood handled. three its a gold. four its a mastertouch which means its got the temp gauge at the handle and its got the bracket so the lid can be slid back. so yea, get it !

If you are just looking for a grill to cook on, you can save a little money, and just look for a black one. If you want one you can use, and will hold its value, you could buy this one and sell it for at least $60 at any time in the future. And, especially because it is a Mastertouch, with the lid therm and the lid Slide-A-Side. It sure is handy to have a safe place for the lid.

The red ones are rare, and sought after by collectors due to their rareness. Red is not made anymore, because apparently cadmium was used to create the red color in the porcelain enamel. And, being a heavy metal, toxic waste disposal was expensive, so Weber eliminated red as a color option in the late '90s.

As a collector, it took me almost two years to get a Red Performer. They sell immediately whenever they appear on CL, usually within less than an hour. The one I got, was listed on CL, and the buyer snagged it 30 minutes after being listed. He was the first one there with the cash. He bought it for his father-in-law, but the mother-in-law wanted a gas grill, so the red P must go. He put it here on TVWB, and I was then able to buy it from him. Thanks again, Mike!

Cool thanks. I'll see if I can pick it up.

I wanted a OTG for the ash can convenience but otherwise just looking for a 22 inch kettle. Doesn't have hinged grid but no biggie can get one later.

Never can seem to find that $20 weber at the garage sale weekends each spring and $60 is a lot cheaper than $90 at home depot and I like having something collectible.

TVVB is a wealth of info thanks.

Keep on looking.. just picked up an oldie today they are out there scour CL, expand your search maybe slightly beyond your immediate locale.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back